Author Topic: The Mother of All Star Wars Threads  (Read 18227 times)

The Mother of All Star Wars Threads
Originally posted by Ace
Just saw it. Overall I was impressed. There were cheesy parts, but that's no different than the originals.

Am I the only one left with the distinct impression that Darth Plagueous' ability to coax the midochlorians (ugggh) to create life is oddly similar to Anakin's conception?

That Palpatine was *very* eager to see Vader eventually surpass him as Dark Lord of the Sith?

That Palpatine was Plagueous' apprentice?

That Palpatine may in fact be Anakin's father? In the sense that he used the force to create the perfect apprentice? Perhaps manipulating events to allow for things to unfold as they did?

You're not the only one that's come to this conclusion.

It makes sense, but that would require immense planning and manipulation. This means he would've had to made Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Padme land on Tatooine and find young Skywalker (which they did) but I don't think it was cause of him. I don't think that's possible. There's just far too many variables that come into play. I don't think Palpatine could've manipulated everything as it unfolded. Also, Palpatine said that the midichlorians could be stimulated to sustain life, I think, not create life. I don't remember exactly.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 10:44:19 am by 2743 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Plain and simple - Palpatine lied to bring Anakin to his side. He told him what he wanted to hear - a way to save Padme...
but there was none...no ressurections..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by EtherShock

You're not the only one that's come to this conclusion.

It makes sense, but that would require immense planning and manipulation. This means he would've had to made Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Padme land on Tatooine and find young Skywalker (which they did) but I don't think it was cause of him. I don't think that's possible. There's just far too many variables that come into play. I don't think Palpatine could've manipulated everything as it unfolded. Also, Palpatine said that the midichlorians could be stimulated to sustain life, I think, not create life. I don't remember exactly.

Palpatine did explicitly say "create life" so it's pretty obvious that he's implying that either he or his former master were responsible for Anikin's conception.  In fact, I thought the reference was not subtile enough, and that the forced connections again made the whole thing feel forced.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
perhaps the whole thing was a grand plan and naboo was not just some random planet that was chosen to be the impetus for the whole thing...i mean Naboo was close enough to tattooine to travel in a relatively short period of time on conventional drives.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Naboo was also Senator Palpatine's, well, planet.  More likely Tattooine wasn't some random desert planet to be involved in the plot, but one carefully chosen by its location.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by TopAce
Why bash this film for every single flaw you can find? What's so special in this 'WAR!'? It rather explained the situation in one word than in a long and customary 'The Galaxy has once again been burning of the horrors of war' sentence.

WAR! is very blunt compared to something such as:

The galaxy is in the throes of the Clone Wars. There are heroes on both sides of this great conflict, but evil is everywhere.

Originally posted by StratComm
Naboo was also Senator Palpatine's, well, planet.  More likely Tattooine wasn't some random desert planet to be involved in the plot, but one carefully chosen by its location.

Yup. Because remember in Star Wars there is no cooincidence. More then likely Palpy's motives were influenced by the force, making the prophecy self-fulfilling.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Nuke

but that is the sterotypical definition of nihilisim which is quite often misrepresented as negative. thats like saying all christians burn pagans, and kill jews.

It's also the/a dictionary definition.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Ace

WAR! is very blunt compared to something such as:

The galaxy is in the throes of the Clone Wars. There are heroes on both sides of this great conflict, but evil is everywhere.

Very well. We will never be able to convice each other. It's only a matter of opinion. I stop discussing this. It is not worth continouing.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

hi, loooong time lurker, long time FS player (back to the old FS1 multiplayer days, even)

anyway, regarding the WAR! thing, when I first saw it I was reminded of this:

clicky

Perhaps GL was trying to reference that... the SW movies do get their inspiration from stuff from the 40's and 50's... serials and whatnot.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 05:06:54 pm by 2807 »
VBB survivor (the J master) - five hundred something posts

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by aldo_14

It's also the/a dictionary definition.

dictionary definitions can be just as biased as anything. if you compair an old dictionary to a new one you see that not all definitions are the same.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Huh, interesting parallel there.

(somebody roll out the welcome wagon!)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
All batteries... target mister J. Open fire!

:welcome:

Welcome to HLP!

Exits are to your right and left, and flamethrowers are under your seat. Be careful, though, as they are sometimes filled with water. If this is the case, try to club someone with the non-working shotguns in the weapon closet. Also, be careful while wandering the ventilation shafts, because sometimes Carl the Shivan lurks in there. If you happen to come across him, just toss him your lunch and hope that it satisfies him. If it doesn’t… pray. In the event of an emergency, you can and will be used as a flotation device.  The Plasma rifles in the forward locker are released only under authorization of an Admin, [V] God, and/or hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. Oh, and whatever you do, don't hit on Tiara, no matter how good of an idea it might seem.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Nuke

dictionary definitions can be just as biased as anything. if you compair an old dictionary to a new one you see that not all definitions are the same.

You can't pick and choose definitions based on your own preference, though.

As a legitimate definition of the word 'nihilism', it can be used with reference to a relation with the naming of Darth Nihilus.  you wanted a possible reason for the connotation, there it is.

Incidentally, anyone read the rumours of a 7th Star Wars movie?  (rumour is that it'd be set 100 years before Ep.1 and focus on everyones favourite muppet o' doom.... probably complete bollocks, of course).

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If it's by Lucas, I hope not. If it's by Spielberg, or some other director who's not clinging to the "Let's put this in cuz it's cool!" mentality Lucas seems to have used when making the prequel trilogy, then by all means, go for it. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
I was just watching a bit of ANH with my brother (starting from the trash compactor scene and ending with the start of the Obi Wan-Vader duel) and I'd just like to say that I think ROTS, while I enjoyed it, does not even come close to capturing the magical feeling that the original trilogy evokes.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
It's a matter of script/acting... I never felt that any of the people in the new trilogy had any of the quirks that make us real, quirks that were found in abundance in the original trilogy. Ironically, Anakin was the one who came the closest to having personality "issues", but his issues were sooo over-scripted and so central to the story that they didn't seem like they were personal.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Overall, the film leaves you with a sense of sadness. A hero succumbing to the dark side because he is unwilling to let go. Too attached.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I was sad because it sucked.

:nervous:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by mister J
hi, loooong time lurker, long time FS player (back to the old FS1 multiplayer days, even)

anyway, regarding the WAR! thing, when I first saw it I was reminded of this:

clicky

Perhaps GL was trying to reference that... the SW movies do get their inspiration from stuff from the 40's and 50's... serials and whatnot.
The original is normally considered to be closer to Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress than to 40s and 50s SF serials.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Sandwich
It's a matter of script/acting... I never felt that any of the people in the new trilogy had any of the quirks that make us real, quirks that were found in abundance in the original trilogy. Ironically, Anakin was the one who came the closest to having personality "issues", but his issues were sooo over-scripted and so central to the story that they didn't seem like they were personal.

Overproduced, perhaps.

I have not seen ROTS yet, however (going Sunday; it's cheaper :D), so I have to reserve judgement on that one....