Author Topic: The O'Reilly Factor on Fox  (Read 709 times)

Offline Roanoke

The O'Reilly Factor on Fox
There I was, bored and nothin' decent on Sky TV (Men 'n' Motors being an afternoon channel) when I decided to what see was on Fox News, you know, just for a laugh, fully expecting so see some over the top, right wing political tom-foolery

This dude was interviewing a lady who would give her son a "time out" whenever he tried to play being solider, prenting to use a stick as a gun, using tennis balls as grenades:
So he's like "
Don't you think that's a little unreasonable ?"
(fair question)
And she's like
"I believe it to be inappropiate" (uh huh)
So he goes
"When he graduates, would you stop him from joining the army ?"
After a little cohersion, she goes
"I would give him all the information so he could make an informed decision" (seemed fair enough to me)

(this is where it really starts)

This obviusly wasn't enough for the dude so he opens up on her
"Do you consider yourself a patriot ?" he asks
"Yes, I do" she says
"But you won't fight for you're freedom ? C'mon, they're fighting for our freedom here", he says
"We're in a war on terror here" (just to really rem home the point. Cue shots of Guys firing M60s from Humvies)
A little flustered, she says
"I don't believe the war in Irag is about my freedom"
(who can argue with that ?)
So he goes
"We're in a war against Al'Quaida here"(he mentions the Twin Towers attack round about here. He does quicky say it's nothing to do with Iraq, to be fair)
"Would you have volunteered to fight in World War 2 ?" he asks her (like that has anything to do with Iraq or "the war on terror")
plainly a little shocked, she's like
"I hadn't really thought about it"
(this is where it gets freaky)
"You see that's the problem. You haven't really thought about it. The New York Times is trying to undermine the military" he says
(like the military, any military, needs any help doing that)
"The new York Times is using people like you"

And that was pretty much it. We went from a slightly overzealous Mother, throgh WW2 to the New York Times.
I was so shocked, I decided to sit in front of a PC and spend 10 minutes recounting all this to you chaps.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
yeah well on sean hannity's show the other day they had the founder of some antitroop organization on("Forsake the Troops") and they nicely tore him a new one
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline redmenace

He was wrong to criticize her since parents are have a right to raise their children as they want without interference by the state, save abuse.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
What worries me is that by being so specific in your reply, you agree with him on the new york times.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
You cant argue with the fact that the New York Times' reporting is slanted to the left. I honestly dont have a problem with that, they can report however they want. When they present it as objective news and deny any left slant is what is wrong with them.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Seeing as I don't even read the damned thing I can't comment. However, it seems as though any left-slant is seen as unpatriotic.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
I always thought fox leaned a bit to the right.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Unsurprising, but still leaves me agape.

And the NY Times being slightly left-leaning is hardly a crime. Bearing in mind that Fox and News International is massively, overwhelmingly right-wing...
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Swantz
I always thought fox leaned a bit to the right.

That's like saying that the Leaning Tower of Piza could be straighter :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by vyper
What worries me is that by being so specific in your reply, you agree with him on the new york times.
What does the NYT have to do with all this. The exert didn't explain much?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
NYT Doesn't slant to the left.  It just happens to be less slanted to the right.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Bill O'Reilly is a pompous windbag who suffers from the sad delusion that he can make political arguments and still be "above the fray".
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Bill O'Reilly is a pompous windbag who suffers from the sad delusion that he can make political arguments and still be "above the fray".

yes.
wouldn't call him a conserveitive though, if you catch him in the right mood and you present the right argument you can change his mind about stuff, and he doesn't just read conservitive talking points (though he does sometimes come up with a few).

O'Reilly was the only guy to even come close to convince me to vote for kerry.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Good one BlackDove, i was waiting for someone to bring in the voice of reason that is Maddox to this arguement...:D

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by redmenace
What does the NYT have to do with all this. The exert didn't explain much?

That's kinda my point. It has nothing to do with this. He just threw it in there just for the hell of it (kinda like The Twin Tower Attack and WW2).

Not exactly a balanced debate was it ?
Apposing the Goverment and Apposing the People in Government aren't the same thing.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Facts have an anti-GOP agenda.
lol wtf

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Facts are typically anti-everyone's agenda though.  And to be fair here, there is very little actual fact reporting anymore, sure they report what's going on, but then they spend days and weeks on commentary...so much that even I grow weary of it.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
There's nothing wrong with opposing the government, although the people in power will try to make you think that.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by Kamikaze
There's nothing wrong with opposing the government, although the people in power will try to make you think that.

A certain Vice President of s certain country said it was "unpatriotic to critisize the president".

Although the Clinton administration never said anything like that.....
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key