Author Topic: In game visuals messed up, ideas?  (Read 1564 times)

In game visuals messed up, ideas?
I've got a copy of both Freespace2 and Freespace, the great war as a 6 cd pack done by "white label" (dunno if that means anything). Anyways, Freespace2 installed fine and me son started playing it only to find out that the graphics/in-game visuals are totally messed up. All on screen items leave a trail and it appears that over half of the visuals are missing. I'm thinking that this down to the graphics card/drivers, patches, game is too old, etc.

Any ideas, solutions?

San diego 3700, epox 9nda3, X800pro, 1g geil ultraX, Win XP pro, usual other stuff.

Are you using the SCP? If so, what build, what mediaVP's?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

I belive what I've got is a commercial copy boxset. By SCP I think you're reffering to the downloadeable version? A said in post, its done by "white label" whoever they are

This forum is specifically for the Source Code Project, or FSO. You might want to look at the FAQ threads. For problems with normal freespace, go to the forum right above this one, called 'general freespace'. I would advice you to try FSO, though, since it has much better visuals.

[scp][/scp]
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I have the white label version (It the UK rerelease of FS1 and FS2 for those who were wondering) and it runs fine on XP.

What version catalyst graphic drivers are you running? Have you patched the game up to version 1.2 yet?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
I suppose you have DirectX 9.0 and Catalyst 5.5 drivers installed ?
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Originally posted by Skippy
I suppose you have DirectX 9.0 and Catalyst 5.5 drivers installed ?

Cat 4.12 and DX 9c. The game pack came with a disc of patches which I ran and installed. I just checked and its versh 1.2, what vidcard drivers  (catalyst) do ppl here recommend?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 07:52:15 am by 2829 »

Sorted it. The game doesn't like any Anti-Aliasing, (haven't tried AF yet. but I'll see about that later.
One other prob that I now have is I need to invert the mouse for use until I get the joystick sorted out, but I can find no option in the setup to do so, how do I do this?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Never actually tried this but once the game is running try F2>Control config>Ship Controls> Y-Axis and then click on the invert button.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if you can, it is recomended that you do not use any cat version higher than 4.3, there are some super cool looking effects that get killed with the newer cat drivers.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

*cough* use OpenGL...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Bob, the X800's won't run on a driver as old as 4.3.  I should know :doubt:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM