Author Topic: What do you hate (or love) to fight the most?  (Read 6132 times)

What do you hate (or love) to fight the most?
I'm a primary weapons man:yes: , so...
Erinyes for the win.

8 gun banks of whatever you feel like, and enough room for trebuchets in case you're far away

the key to dragons is to kill them quickly, you only get a few shots off at them before they disappear behind you.   Even harpoons take too long to lock on, so you gotta double rockeye them or artillery them with something like a kaiser or prom s from lots of mounts.

anyone else hate the circe and think its a waste of a primary?  I keep trying the obvious circe + maxim combo and it fails miserably every time...

Aeshemas are the shortbuses of the Shivan fleet.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
If your using circie+maxim dont fire link them, circe bolts move relatively slow whereas maxim shots move very fast, you have to circie them then sitch to maxim.

Still, this is kinda annoying to have to do so i use kaysers.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Hippo
:wtf: The Ulysseys and Perseus both have 4 primary points too... They only have manuverability and speed over the HercII, but are both more limited in weapons compatability (ignoring secondaries, as they are irrelevant in this case)...

Initializing automatic explanation software...

No error found

Primaries > Secondaries
Agility > Firepower

Primaries are related to firepower.

Neither Hercs has anything that can be called maneuveribility, so I have to rely on my primaries while flying Hercs. If I have the choice to, I change firepower to agility.

Originally posted by Divine Wind
...anyone else hate the circe and think its a waste of a primary?  I keep trying the obvious circe + maxim combo and it fails miserably every time...

I don't hate it, I simply never use it. Talking about combos, I somehow find the Prometheus S + Kayser more convenient than double Kaysers. Probably because it devours less energy and is still almost as effective as double Kaysers.

Originally posted by FireCrack
If your using circie+maxim dont fire link them, circe bolts move relatively slow whereas maxim shots move very fast, you have to circie them then sitch to maxim.

Still, this is kinda annoying to have to do so i use kaysers.

I have to try the Circe + Prometheus S/Kayser combo next time.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:36:34 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
I stick with double Prometheus S, to be honest. Almost as effective as kaysers, uses far less power, and much longer range.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by TopAce

Initializing automatic explanation software...

No error found

Primaries > Secondaries
Agility > Firepower

Primaries are related to firepower.

Neither Hercs has anything that can be called maneuveribility, so I have to rely on my primaries while flying Hercs. If I have the choice to, I change firepower to agility.

And saccrifice hull strength in doing so.
Although your rankings for primary and secondary, and agility to firepower are strictly your opinion. I prefer the ships that are a bit harder to maneuver, but have that extra punch. If the extra burst of speed is what you're looking for, get a Seth. Someone gets on your tail, hit the burners, and lose them.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Seths are harder to destroy because of its small size. If it were only a bit bigger, it would be almost as useless as any heavy attack fighters in dogfights.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Not so.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I tried the Circe + Prometheus S combo. Not good. I had to switch to Prometheus S only if I wanted to deal a good amount of damage. This combo is probably good with the Ares or the Erinyes, I found the energy demands for this combo quite ideal on a Herc II.

Love: Maras. Especially when you're in one yourself. :P
Hate: Dragons. Only ever killed 3 of them during the whole FS2 campaign. All I do is kill off the bombers and then try to run away (haha, yes :P).

This is not a signature.
You did not see this.
It was all a dream.
You will not tell anyone about this.

Now go and read this signature again.

So, you actually bothered to scroll down, eh? If you're that bored, you might as well take a look at the links above.

Offline Mav

OK, now that I got to it...

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:  for Dragons.

I changed the second and fourth Mara-wave of the shivan gauntlet to being Dragons and... well, it just reminded me of why I always liked flying those in my mods. :D :D :D Can't remember any other AI ship pulling off such stunts. Also it seems it was specifically this maneuver that caused me to put Morningstars aside as suicidal... :p

(Yeah, I have to admit I didn't play MP often. :( As soon as I get my old PC to running FS again, this'll change, though!)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
i like the challenge of Dragons and manticors.....together.  it's a fun fight.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I hate fighting/trying to disable/trying to bomb/etc. Deimos and Aeolus classes the most I think..
I am a revolutionary.

Originally posted by Ulala
I hate fighting/trying to disable/trying to bomb/etc. Deimos and Aeolus classes the most I think..

Use maxims and trebuchets
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline Cybes

@DarthWang:
What actually can carry Maxims?  I haven't found anything that can mount them.

BTW, for everyone who dislikes the Circe...  Poking about inside the aseffects.vp, I noticed that that weapon does no shield damage, nor has the "puncture" flag set - which (as far as I can see) means it won't do any damage at all unless teamed with something else.

Considering that the comments in the .vp specifically say it's a puncture weapon, that seems a trifle odd, imho.  Assuming I read it right, that is  (I have been known to make really stupid errors before ;) )

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
That may be a bug, there has been a maxim unmountable bug in the past.

Off the top of my head, the only thing that cant mount the maxim is the perseus IIRC.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Serapis, Herc 2, Ares, Erinyes and oddly enough Ulysses, Loki and Herc can all mount the maxim. As can every single terran or vasudan bomber in FS2 with the exception of the Bahka. It's not like there's a lack of ships that can't do it. The Tauret is a very good example of a ship that really should be able to mount the maxim.

The Perseus on the other hand can't so Firecrack is correct there.

All comments are directed at singleplayer. Multiplayer is different.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 03:18:28 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hate: Dragons, Horus (fast and thin :(), Perseus (i hate fast targets), Minbari Fighters in TBP.

Loved: Basilisk, Any Bomber, Hercules, GVC Aten.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Cybes

OK, so I've a known bug, then.  Every ship pops the "this ship can't mount that weapon" box - even ones which come with one fitted as standard.  That would be sorta OK - just don't unmount them - but they won't even load ammo for the ones they have.

Since nobody else seems to be getting it, though, I assume I've broken something.  Er, something else, that is - I know I broke the Vasudan HL-7 :rolleyes:  Looks like I'll be using that backup copy sooner than I hoped.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What media VP files have you got installed? Assuming that you are using FS2_Open of course :)

Also what version of FS2_Open are you using.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cybes

Yes, I'm using FS2_Open. :)  Ver 3.6.7, I think is the number - filename is "fs2_open_G-20050722.exe".  (I have the original disks, actually, but it does want to 'play nice' with WinXP)

Dumping the directory and filtering for .vp files, I get
Kara_Temporary_asEffects_Workaround.vp, mv_aseffects.vp, mv_core.vp, mv_effects.vp, mv_models.vp, mv_textures.vp, Root_fs2.vp, smarty_fs2.vp, sparky_fs2.vp, sparky_hi_fs2.vp, stu_fs2.vp, tango1_fs2.vp, tango2_fs2.vp, tango3_fs2.vp, warble_fs2.vp
3.6.5 did go in first, so there may be one or two relics in there that shouldn't be, but I didn't see any mention of removing anything.

As to breaking the Mekhu, that's entirely my fault.  I 'cleaned up' the whitespace and commenting in the .tbl I extracted from the mv_aseffects.vp.  Apparently, I got a bit enthusiastic with the delete key.  It's fixed now.  (The Maxim is still borked, otoh)