Author Topic: F.E.A.R demo  (Read 2699 times)

*is grilling a soldier with the plasma gun*

*jumps around laughing and smiling*

I just love this weapon in combination with the bullet time-feature. The whole game looks very kewl to me and im a really big fan of such types of games. Heck, i already liked Doom3*gg*:p ...
Im running it on a heavily OC'ed 6600GT, an Athlon 64 3200+ and one gig of ram. Runs very nice with nearly all features on, except Soft Shadows (performance-killer!), textures on medium (cause 6600GT gots only 128MB of ram), volumetric lightning on low (no visible difference to maximum), and FSAA (disabled, a bit too much for this card ;) ).
Except of this settings, everything else is maxxed and the game runs smooth (30+ fps) in every situation of the demo.
Planet-Fiction.de - your Resource for SciFi-Games!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You call 30 fps smooth? Maybe I am more sensitive to framerates than most of you. 30 feels like a slideshow; 60 is about the lowest minimum framerate I can tolerate in FPS games (so the averages generally need to be over 100). Any lower than that and it feels unacceptably jerky to me.

I used the same graphics settings as you, except textures on high.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:43:08 am by 296 »

Well, FEAR is not so fast like other shooters i think (CS or UT), so 30 FPS (minimum, mostly more than 45) are ok for me. Ive got no lags and stutters and it runs well.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
For fast paced multiplayer FPS games I like to have it higher actually, more around 70 or 75. I don't care too much about what the average, consistent framerates are, but want them to be above certain levels at all times.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by CP5670
You call 30 fps smooth? Maybe I am more sensitive to framerates than most of you. 30 feels like a slideshow
Wow, going to the movies or watching TV must drive you batsh!t insane then.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I never do either, so it's just as well. :D However, there is some alternate line interpolation technique used there to effectively double the framerate. Not sure of the exact details though.

Also, there's the motion blur.
(\_/)
(Oo) This is Rabbit. Copy Rabbit into your signature and help Rabbit to World dominance.
(>< ) The Rabbit has done a lot for you lately. It is not your place to question the Rabbit

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Well that was scary, and not because of the monsters either.

Everything at maximum. To say I got 1fps would be generous. It looked cool, it was scarier for the few seconds it worked, but it felt like playing on a 486.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by CP5670
I never do either, so it's just as well. :D
Oh gawd, you're one of those people.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
played it - had to turn the features all teh way down for the 9200 to run it, but it went rather decently (albiet, froze when enemies appeared, but only when they appeared - actual battle was smooth)

Spoiler:

But hell yes, it was scary - especially when you werea bout the climb down the ladder and BOOM! There was that girl, laughing and then just vanishing, and then that zombie dude down at the bottom! Not to mention the corridor...****, when I saw the lights moving, I didn't want to go in there at all O_O
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Yep, and now imagine the full game cluttered up with tons of such events, cool fights, the best AI to date, beautiful graphics and a frightening story...hell, this must be better than D3 and HL2^^...at least i hope they dont screw up the level design.

Edit: Here some screenies i took from the demo.

Thanks to ImageShack for hosting!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 09:25:43 am by 2447 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
While my graphics card gently weeps.....

It barely runs for me on lowest res at min details and DX8 shaders.  Bloody FX5600s.......

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
We suck don't we?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
dude, i want your specs!...
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well its just a 6600GT^^...nothing special here...:D

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Heh, I can run it like that *s******s*.

I'm really quite excited by this game. It felt really nice. My only gripe was that the weapons felt a little "light" if that makes any sense.

Aside from that, it's very promising.

Well, regarding the weapons, i think the reload and shooting anims need a bit work, they look "choppy" sometimes.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
ATI Radeon 9600 will run it just fine at medium graphics settings. I <3 this game.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

But then you will miss something *points to the screenies above* ;)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by Kalfireth
Heh, I can run it like that *s******s*.

I'm really quite excited by this game. It felt really nice. My only gripe was that the weapons felt a little "light" if that makes any sense.

Aside from that, it's very promising.

Light like the Republic Commando weapons? Almost like using pea shooters?

One game that has always impressed me with the satisfaction I get from using the weapons is Halo (and Halo 2).

I totally wish my computer could run this game...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 07:41:38 pm by 944 »