Author Topic: Let's see your desk! Mk.2k5  (Read 8521 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Let's see your desk! Mk.2k5
how geeky
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Originally posted by CP5670

I was thinking of doing something like this at one point, except to have one modern computer and one old computer, so I could play legacy games without having to go to another room and use an inferior monitor (two full size cases on my desk will clutter up the area and there is no other space in the room for the second machine).

That's my plan. The secondary board is an old Socket7 thing with an AMD K6-2 in it. Best thing about this is low heat production and...

Originally posted by CP5670

The Stacker should be big enough, but how are you going to attach the second motherboard to the case and line up its PCI slots with the slot covers on the case?

... all the needed peripherals are onboard. I won't have to line up the PCI cards because there won't be any.

The most complex part of the whole business is making everything look neat. Add an extensive watercooling system utilising 1/2" pipes to the main system and you've not got a lot of room to play with.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

My summertime work space (during school it's at the kitchen table). :D

OK, so maybe there's a flail suspended from the hard drive... :nervous:
Still need to buy Microsoft Word though if I'm gonna do work off it. :hopping:
[V] for FS3!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
MS Word? Eugh. Open-Office. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Marauder

at least he didnt call it a modem
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Originally posted by mikhael
That's what i use Samba for, Kamikaze.

Yeah Samba is great, i use it on my Unix machine running Solaris 9.
On the Solaris 10 box, it is lareayd installed so that was easyer and faster to setup.

And Open-Office is very nice:)
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Samba works OK, but I wouldn't say it's great. The SMB protocol involves a fair amount of broadcast traffic. Remember to block the relevant outgoing ports at your firewalls, boys and girls.

The protocol is certainly usable (it has some things in common with NFS, not all of them good) but only if you run it from a *n[iu]x machine. Leave it to a Windows server and you'll need a homogeneous network before it'll work right (as anyone who's tried to put different flavours of WinXP together on the same network will know). Strangely, Linux machines don't seem to have any trouble talking to any version of Windows...

445: The Port Number of the Beast.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Originally posted by Marauder

Still need to buy Microsoft Word though if I'm gonna do work off it. :hopping:

You might want to try NeoOffice first though. It's totally free and unlike OpenOffice will actually look like an OS X application.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That's my plan. The secondary board is an old Socket7 thing with an AMD K6-2 in it. Best thing about this is low heat production and...

... all the needed peripherals are onboard. I won't have to line up the PCI cards because there won't be any.

The most complex part of the whole business is making everything look neat. Add an extensive watercooling system utilising 1/2" pipes to the main system and you've not got a lot of room to play with.

oh okay, that's convenient. My older computer has nearly a full load of PCI cards (two Voodoo 2s, ATA controller, 10/100 NIC, SBLive 5.1 that can emulate an SB16), as the motherboard dosn't have much in the way of onboard components.

The 1.4ghz Athlon C in it is like a furnace though. It idles at 57C or so and regularly passes 80C on load despite having a fairly good heatsink on it. It has actually burned a permanent impression on an older heatsink that was placed on it for two years, but this is apparently normal with this CPU. :p The core is also chipped and dented in several places along its edge, but it strangely still works fine. :D

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Nuke

at least he didnt call it a modem

[color=66ff00]Thinking about it logically it is used to connect with people so it kinda performs the same task.

What's with all of these ladies who hang at HLP and their weapon fascinations? Remind me not to argue with you Marauder. ;)
[/color]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
in my experience ive heard the computer referd to as many things. hard drive, modem, hub, cpu, cdrom and my favorite; end table. its a computer. ive heard some older pros who know better call it a cpu, even though the cpu is only a tiny allbeit important componant. same goes with hard drive and modem. i dont know how it could be confuysed with a network hub, but it has been. if people dont stop im gonna start calling it a monitor :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I've heard hard drive and CPU quite often, while the monitor is usually called the computer.

What monitor is that by the way? It might be a clone of the one I have.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 02:53:34 pm by 296 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Omniscaper
My turn....

You're gonna hate me for bring this up again, but honestly, having a monitor that's smaller than a keyboard just looks weird to me now. :nervous:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

It serves its purpose. Dude, its the the 2005fpw. 20 inches of diagnal widescreen goodness made a HUGE difference when editing video. I have much more timeline visibility than my old HP 17 inch 3:2 screen. Besides, the monitor is 1 inch longer than my keyboard.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Heh... at the sound studio at work, they have a Dual G5 with Apple's 20" Cinema monitor. Before I got my current monster, I'd look at that massively large monitor and not believe it was "only" 20 inches... "Are you sure that's the 20-inch and not the 23-inch?" Heh. Heheh. Heheheh.

Einstien was right - 'tis all relative. :D

I have to admit, Apple's wide Cinema series DESTROYS ALL of its competitors. Dual G5's also puts my dual Xeons to shame (not by uch :) ) They render video effects MUCH faster with out the aid of a Matrox RT card.

Originally posted by Kamikaze

You might want to try NeoOffice first though. It's totally free and unlike OpenOffice will actually look like an OS X application.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I love using that application.  But at my school, everyone always use MS Office, teachers expect assignments on it, our courses at school teach you how to use it... :rolleyes:
[V] for FS3!

Originally posted by Maeglamor

[color=66ff00]Thinking about it logically it is used to connect with people so it kinda performs the same task.

What's with all of these ladies who hang at HLP and their weapon fascinations? Remind me not to argue with you Marauder. ;)
[/color]

:lol:

THAT WAS MY SISTER'S PROJECT!! :drevil: Imagine the weapons made by other students in her class...grade four gifted kids... :shaking:
[V] for FS3!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have to admit, Apple's wide Cinema series DESTROYS ALL of its competitors.

I'm not sure about that. The reviews I have seen all say that the 20" and 23" ones are very similar to the Dell 2005 and 2405, except that they cost considerably more. The 30" is better because it has no competitors (apart from $10k+ professional models with accurate colors), but is way overpriced considering that the image quality is no better than the lower end versions. I mean, you can get three 2405s for the same price.

Heh... at the sound studio at work, they have a Dual G5 with Apple's 20" Cinema monitor. Before I got my current monster, I'd look at that massively large monitor and not believe it was "only" 20 inches... "Are you sure that's the 20-inch and not the 23-inch?" Heh. Heheh. Heheheh.

Einstien was right - 'tis all relative.

You need to just get a good projector if you like big screens. :D No monitor can touch those for size. Most of them under $1000 only do 1024x768 natively, but they make up for that with the image size. There is actually a home theater oriented projector out there that does 2048x1536 natively, although it costs as much as a small house.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:45:22 pm by 296 »