Author Topic: Hot date? How bad is your breath?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Wild Fragaria

• Geek girl
Hot date? How bad is your breath?
Published online: 21 October 2005; | doi:10.1038/news051017-19

How bad is your breath?

Hot date tonight... but how's your breath? To find out, you could soon be reaching for a trusty 'electronic nose' that can sniff out the smelliest chemical in your mouth.

"Humans are sensitive to halitosis in others but unable to assess the halitosis in their own breath," says Kohji Mitsubayashi, a bioengineer at Tokyo Medical and Dental University in Japan. It's a problem that is all too familiar to anyone who has ever exhaled into their cupped hands in a vain attempt to gauge their own oral hygiene.

But Mitsubayashi and his colleagues have now developed a sensor that can deliver precise readings of a sulphurous chemical called methyl mercaptan (CH3SH), a major cause of bad breath.

True halitosis is not simply a case of garlic breath or early morning dry-mouth. Methyl mercaptan is produced by bacteria, explains Jeffrey Coil, a halitosis expert from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. The nasty niff is released as the microbes in your mouth munch proteins from food and your own dead cells.

Mitsubayashi's sensor relies on an enzyme called monoamine oxidase A, which digests methyl mercaptan in a chemical reaction that consumes oxygen. An oxygen-sensitive electrode monitors the reaction to reveal how much methyl mercaptan is in a patient's breath.

The sensor can detect concentrations of methyl mercaptan down to less than 1 part in ten million: that's more than twice as sensitive as the human nose. The team presents the device in the current issue of The Analyst.

The sensor will not only help would-be Romeos. The characteristic smell of methyl mercaptan can be a warning sign for gum disease, so dentists are keen to monitor halitosis in their patients. "But there are not many clinics in the world set up to measure these chemicals," says Coil.

Although halitosis can be reduced with a variety of antibacterial mouthwashes, Coil explains that the sensor would help to monitor the effectiveness of a particular treatment.

Some dentists already use machines that measure the concentration of all the sulphurous chemicals in your breath, but Coil points out that some patients may exhale high levels of less pungent sulphides, which can mask the true levels of methyl mercaptan itself.

Mitsubayashi adds that previous gas sensors have suffered from poor sensitivity, because of the moisture in a patient's breath. "Our biosniffers have good gas selectivity for medical and dental applications," he says. Their enzyme strongly prefers to feast on methyl mercaptan rather than other breath chemicals, and it is indifferent to exhaled water.

Coil agrees that Mitsubayashi's device could definitely be a boon. "Breath freshening is a billion-dollar industry," he says, "and any device that can differentiate this particular mercaptan would be beneficial."

It's all very well to know how bad your breath is, but how best to deal with it? "A lot of people think that brushing their teeth is important," says Coil. "But one of the most important places to clean is the back of the tongue," he advises, although he admits that many people find it difficult to overcome the gag reflex when brushing there.

Mitsubayashi thinks that the sensor will be used in dental hospitals at first, but in principle "the sniffer could be used for convenient halitosis assessment any time and anywhere in daily life".

The nose that knows could even become part of the relentless hybridization of the mobile telephone. "In the far future, the main system could be built into a cellphone, with a disposable sensitive tip supplied by the drugstore," Mitsubayashi suggests.

This is just awsome.  There are so many people who don't realize how bad their breath are, especially smokers.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
And you think this is gonna change anything? :rolleyes: You can give ugly people mirrors, doesn't necessarily mean they'll put on makeup.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I kind of suspect the people who go around with bad breath...tend not to actually care.  Otherwise they'd be chewing on a mint or somesuch just in case.

But, hey, got to give those research grants to someone........ :D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'd like to research the effects of bad breath on pets. If some one would fund my research, I'll monitor people the life of a parrot from birth to it's death in about 80 years to see how it's owner's breathe effects it. I just need someone to pay for me to live comfortably while I wait for the bird to grow up and die.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You've got to feel sorry for the people who had to check the calibrations on the machine though :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Raa
I'd like to research the effects of bad breath on pets. If some one would fund my research, I'll monitor people the life of a parrot from birth to it's death in about 80 years to see how it's owner's breathe effects it. I just need someone to pay for me to live comfortably while I wait for the bird to grow up and die.

You want to live in close proximity to a bird in this day and age?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Originally posted by Raa

Don't you go trying to paint the animals as the sole victim in this situation. My cat could really use a few Altoids.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Fine, fund my follow up on the effects of bad animal breath on pet owners..'. ;)

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sandwich

You want to live in close proximity to a bird in this day and age?

[color=66ff00]listen you don't have to get all uppity because he prefers birds to lads.

*cough*
[/color]

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Originally posted by Galemp
And you think this is gonna change anything? :rolleyes: You can give ugly people mirrors, doesn't necessarily mean they'll put on makeup.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
"Hot Date?"

I knew about this time that the thread probably wouldn't have anything to do with me.

I was right. :p
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Maeglamor

[color=66ff00]listen you don't have to get all uppity because he prefers birds to lads.

*cough*
[/color]

Or vice versa... :nervous:

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The urbandictionary.com entry is pretty damn funny.

(n.)small winged creature that ****s on my girlfriend's car to make her mad;

"Incoming! Ahh ****! *&!$ing bird!

Source: Chubbs, Apr 30, 2004
-C

Offline Wild Fragaria

• Geek girl
I think it's pretty cool if they make one for animals too :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
You've got to feel sorry for the people who had to check the calibrations on the machine though :D

"Needs more garlic.... Pierre!"