Author Topic: The Baseball Approach to Intelligent Design  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
The Baseball Approach to Intelligent Design
The following was stolen from this website: http://abstractfactory.blogspot.com/2005/10/only-debate-on-intelligent-design-that.html

Moderator: We're here today to debate the hot new topic, evolution versus Intelligent Des---

(Scientist pulls out baseball bat.)

Moderator: Hey, what are you doing?

(Scientist breaks Intelligent Design advocate's kneecap.)

Intelligent Design advocate: YEAAARRRRGGGHHHH! YOU BROKE MY KNEECAP!

Scientist: Perhaps it only appears that I broke your kneecap. Certainly, all the evidence points to the hypothesis I broke your kneecap. For example, your kneecap is broken; it appears to be a fresh wound; and I am holding a baseball bat, which is spattered with your blood. However, a mere preponderance of evidence doesn't mean anything. Perhaps your kneecap was designed that way. Certainly, there are some features of the current situation that are inexplicable according to the "naturalistic" explanation you have just advanced, such as the exact contours of the excruciating pain that you are experiencing right now.

Intelligent Design advocate: AAAAH! THE PAIN!

Scientist: Frankly, I personally find it completely implausible that the random actions of a scientist such as myself could cause pain of this particular kind. I have no precise explanation for why I find this hypothesis implausible --- it just is. Your knee must have been designed that way!

Intelligent Design advocate: YOU BASTARD! YOU KNOW YOU DID IT!

Scientist: I surely do not. How can we know anything for certain? Frankly, I think we should expose people to all points of view. Furthermore, you should really re-examine whether your hypothesis is scientific at all: the breaking of your kneecap happened in the past, so we can't rewind and run it over again, like a laboratory experiment. Even if we could, it wouldn't prove that I broke your kneecap the previous time. Plus, let's not even get into the fact that the entire universe might have just popped into existence right before I said this sentence, with all the evidence of my alleged kneecap-breaking already pre-formed.

Intelligent Design advocate: That's a load of bull**** sophistry! Get me a doctor and a lawyer, not necessarily in that order, and we'll see how that plays in court!

Scientist (turning to audience): And so we see, ladies and gentlemen, when push comes to shove, advocates of Intelligent Design do not actually believe any of the arguments that they profess to believe. When it comes to matters that hit home, they prefer evidence, the scientific method, testable hypotheses, and naturalistic explanations. In fact, they strongly privilege naturalistic explanations over supernatural hocus-pocus or metaphysical wankery. It is only within the reality-distortion field of their ideological crusade that they give credence to the flimsy, ridiculous arguments which we so commonly see on display. I must confess, it kind of felt good, for once, to be the one spouting free-form bull****; it's so terribly easy and relaxing, compared to marshaling rigorous arguments backed up by empirical evidence. But I fear that if I were to continue, then it would be habit-forming, and bad for my soul. Therefore, I bid you adieu.

Another interesting link: http://polymathematics.typepad.com/polymath/2005/10/post.html
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
Neat :yes:
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline delta_7890

• Your Node Is Mine
This is all kinds of awesome.
~Delta

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
:lol:

Sending that one to my gov teacher, I am.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Oh, and this is henceforth to be known as my Phrase Of The Day
[q] metaphysical wankery[/q]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wll, the thread was interesting, as were the many comments. the guys reasoning isn't perfect, but it's good.

While I never consider ID a science, I do belive in it, in a more rational and limited way...

*runs*
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Nuclear1

Brilliant.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Very nicely written.

:)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Solatar

It's both violent AND well thought out. Me likes...:D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by TrashMan
While I never consider ID a science, I do belive in it, in a more rational and limited way...

You're a catholic right?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline icespeed

dun assume someone's a catholic just cos they believe in intelligent designer/s, that's religionist.
$quot;Let your light shine before men...$quot;
Matthew 5:16

When I graduate, I'm going to be a doctor, and people are going to come to me looking for treatment and prescription drugs, and I'm going to give it to them. Is anyone scared yet?

$quot;If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.$quot; Romans 10:9

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm assuming he's catholic cause he's croatian and the majority of croats are catholic.

And I've a reason for asking.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
:lol: Thank God He's not a scientist. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Class.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by icespeed
dun assume someone's a catholic just cos they believe in intelligent designer/s, that's religionist.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/05/creation_evolution/

Would be the point kara is about to make.

dun-dun-dun!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
That's what makes me wonder. If God is indeed all-powerful, why couldn't he have set things in motion billions of years ago? If you read the bible literally, after all, you're going to have a hard time believing in it at all, so I don't see a big problem with assuming that the whole creation deal is symbolic rather than literal, so that He wouldn't have to write a study guide for the bible to explain what "DNA" and "bacteria" are to early man.

'sides, God doesn't seem to be too big on the instant gratification thing either.
-C

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by karajorma
I'm assuming he's catholic cause he's croatian and the majority of croats are catholic.

And I've a reason for asking.

A huge majority actually...but yes, I am catholic.

I do belive in evolution, but in a way, if God created everything in the universe, including the physical and biological laws, then we were, in a way, designed....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
That's what makes me wonder. If God is indeed all-powerful, why couldn't he have set things in motion billions of years ago? If you read the bible literally, after all, you're going to have a hard time believing in it at all, so I don't see a big problem with assuming that the whole creation deal is symbolic rather than literal, so that He wouldn't have to write a study guide for the bible to explain what "DNA" and "bacteria" are to early man.

'sides, God doesn't seem to be too big on the instant gratification thing either.

The nature of God (any form of diety/dieties) is such to preclude any possibility of disproof, anyways. (and proof, of course)

It's always been structured that way, so any sort of 'conflicting' scientific discovery can just be said to push back where God 'is'.  Like....if they proved abiogenesis, then God would simply be pushed back to the big bang, etc, or abstracted as being the fundamental laws of physics, and soforth.

The main conflict over the likes of evolution is really down to Bible literalism, I think.  It's also a response to the belief of certain more militant Christians that secularism and modern society is in some way immoral; largely, I guess, because the church wields less power over individuals now.  

The problem these people have in particular with science is that it explains things working without God, or rather without the sort of God they've been espousing for all these years; they're basically unable to accept their particular interpretation is wrong.  Science has, after all, never sought to address the existence of God, but simply to explain the world in terms of what we can see and prove to be true.

And on a side note, why do I end up posting these types of posts when really everyone knows this already.........?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by aldo_14

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/05/creation_evolution/

Would be the point kara is about to make.

dun-dun-dun!

There you go stealing my thunder again :p

But yes that was the point I was angling towards.

Originally posted by TrashMan
I do belive in evolution, but in a way, if God created everything in the universe, including the physical and biological laws, then we were, in a way, designed....

Then I presume from now on you'll be arguing for evolution next time one of the evolution vs creationism threads comes up or staying silent right?