Author Topic: Economic Improvement  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

Realistically, we shouldn't pay high level politicians anything. Even if they only serve one term, they can live rest of their lives on public speaking. IIRC, Clinton made a few million his first year out of office just off of speeches and the like.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
At the very least, they shouldn't allow MPs to vote on their own pay.

Offline Grey Wolf

Perhaps have the populace vote on the pay?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the difference between a terrorist and a soldier:
a terrorist  blows up a building to kill people.
a soldier kills people to blow up a building.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 07:36:51 pm by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
sorry, I can't understand that last sentence Bobbaou

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Tinny is just wrong. I refuse to justify any assault against stupidity.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oops left an 's' on blow, in "blow up"
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Highly-skilled public servants need to be paid competitively or they'd just go and work in the private sector which rewards skill with a higher wage. Equally though, incompetents who mess things up in power should have their pay severely cut. I'm not saying this should apply to politicians, but to the people who actually *implement* policy.

Offline Grey Wolf

Personally, I feel we need to rebuild the government from the ground up. Little chance of that happening, however...

Might as well change the topic name...

Anyway, good to see it hasnt been set on fire and locked yet... ;)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Give it time, you've another 50 odd minutes before I go to bed - and I can't say when any of the other admins come on.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
LOL.  :)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm with Greywolf to an extent.  The G'ment in entirely too large and needs some pruning.  As I see it the G'ment has 3 main roles:

1.  Ensuring that all citizens have a basic education(High School) and access to a Higher Education(Bachelor's Degree), however higher level education would fall almost entirely on the Student's responsibility

2.  National Defense, and I do mean Defense.  This includes withdrawing from the failed, "let's find yet another way to milk America's coffers and put her troops in harm's way" UN as well as upgrading and sealing both our northern and southern borders.

3.  Maintenance of Infrastructure such as the Interstate Highway system.

Everything else is superfluous and should be pruned.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
So, I take it this does not include "Lets go invaded so and so because we don't the way they're looking at us", right?

Fine by me.

For your information, the UN is not failed. Its one of the best institutions to be established in recent times. Its just needs some reforms, and a will of its own instead of being a puppet. Yes, the "peacekeeping" forces are notoriously inept, but I believe thats because various politicians decide to stick their nose where it does not belong.

Also, the US behind on its payments to the UN, so it could hardly be said that the UN is milking America's coffers. Just thought you should know that.