Author Topic: The FSU Pimp Video  (Read 75084 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
CaptJosh: I'd be interested in hearing that.
I've located a copy of that here.

It's a good, versatile piece of music that can be used in any number of ways, evoking vastly different emotions depending on what it's being associated with at the time.
Are you really sure about that?
Why not choose an emotion first and then find some music that fits?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just saw this :)

Well, if you guys are still looking for some ideas for music, I'd be happy to throw some stuff together. I've been looking for something to give me the kickstart to get making stuff again, just let me know :D

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
if this actually gets made... well, i'll be at more then a loss of words...

also, to contribute to the thread, why not to use the best music out there. the one from the game :)

(the credits music i think this is)

also, it gives slightly more time for the video. 3:32 as opposed to 2:18 from Grieg's music. also, "Hall of the Mountain King" definitely does not apply for something as badass as FSU. when people hear grieg's music they'll think "oh, i've heard that in that ad sometime earlier". we dont want people watching this to think about the music. we want them to drool, we want their brains to stop functioning for anything else then the game video, for the duration of it  :drevil:  :nervous:

:D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 12:58:17 pm by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Whilst musically it is great, to my tastes it doesn't have enough 'punch' at the hitpoint (in this case when the Supernova kicks off). To my mind at least, theres not that feeling of 'Thwack!' when it hits you. The title music 'missile track' does a better job of that. Also, I suppose with this being a fan-project, the staff want to keep as much standard 'V' stuff out of the video as possible, not out of disrespect for V, but simply to strengthen that image.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Yeah, as much as I like FS2's music I think it'd be best to use something new.

Offline CaptJosh

As far as that other copy of the choral arrangement of Adagio for Strings, I think my copy is better, as I extracted and converted the audio myself and I went with higher bitrate and simple stereo for encoding.

Linky...

Be warned, it's 8.06 megs, so if you're on dial-up or don't have much bandwidth to spare for some other reason, it'll take a while.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Agnus Dei was sung by 'Quire of Voyces' or somesuch spelling, (though obviously was originally written by Barber) ,theres quite a few versions of it now, it seems to have caught on as a favourite among choirs.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Double post, sorry...

A thought just occured to me, probably your best bet of doing this is to make the video first, that way you have complete freedom to record without worrying that the pegasus explodes 1.2 seconds after a drumbeat or something, just make a video that you think would give the best image of FSU. Once the video is done, have a contest to see who can find or write the most appropriate piece of music to the video? After all, the music is supposed to underscore the action not define it ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Like I said, we can have it both - or even numerous - ways. I'd like to see a video with Mountain King as the track; you want to see a video with something else as the track. Let's do both. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Double post, sorry...

A thought just occured to me, probably your best bet of doing this is to make the video first, that way you have complete freedom to record without worrying that the pegasus explodes 1.2 seconds after a drumbeat or something, just make a video that you think would give the best image of FSU. Once the video is done, have a contest to see who can find or write the most appropriate piece of music to the video? After all, the music is supposed to underscore the action not define it ;)
Hmm, that's somewhat difficult to do. At least for me, I sync the video to the music and often define the entire trailer around the flow of the soundtrack because I find this has the best effect. Usually this means it won't work so well with music other than the one it was made for.

But yeah, multiple trailers is a great idea.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Mr Bungle's Ma Meeshka Mow Skwaz would certainly bring some exotic flavour into pimping.

Actually I think I am going to make that movie one day, as soon as I get my current Rollercoaster Of Emotions finished.
lol wtf

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Ok, well, I got playing around with this in mind, sort of threw together a scratchpad of stuff, theres nods in the direction of the original Freespace theme, some Vasudan themed stuff (poor buggers never get into the good videos ;) ) and theres still more to do on it, I want to add another drum track, theres still some snare rolls and cymbal crashes to go in there, as well as about another minute of moderate/high pace music before those final end hits, just thought I'd get peoples opinions before I start adding orchestral washes, choirs etc ;)

http://www.aqsx85.dsl.pipex.com/SPad1.mp3

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I like it so far, dude. The drums are great for when the melody's playing, but they tend to get a bit too much, too repetitive, in-between the melodies. Other than that, it sounds great - I'd never heard your work before. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i love it, and its made even better by those drums, which kinda give it a bit of a galactica feel to me
everything else is just great
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It feels like something suitably lifted straight out of "Under Seige" (at least, the one where they're on a Battleship). Or for that matter it could fit right into Master and Commander.. any sort of naval warfare. It'd be nice if the drums had a bit more punch to them when things really kick in (around 1:30 into the track). Also, the ending sort of stutters to a halt (around 4:04) and doesn't flow quite as well as it feels it should... the ending itself is good but it just doesn't lead in right.

That said, it's really excellent.

If you're looking for further inspiration I'd advise listening to Hanz Zimmers "Roll Tide" or Nightwishes cover of the same song. But follow the same lines and are absolute masterpieces of music (in my opinion).

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken