Author Topic: Problem trying to use some MODs  (Read 1273 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Problem trying to use some MODs
Hi, (it's me again!)
Just wondering how you're supposed to use multiple MODs with the Windows version of FSOpen.  I'm using one of the latest builds (11-17-05) and can't seem to get it to work.  I used the syntax -MOD FSPort23,othermod just like I found mentioned in a post somewhere, but no go.  I take it the host MOD comes first, with the MOD that you'll be working under second (i.e., the pilot files get stored in the second MOD, but the second MOD will look for files that it doesn't find in its VPs/files from the first MOD's VPs/files, and if the first MOD doesn't have it, it will look in FS2's main VPs/files.  I also reason that if different VPs have the same files, FS2 will use the one in highest alphabetical order.)  The reason I'm having a problem is that different MODs, when used one by one by placing VPs or files inside FSPort's dir, work by themselves but crash when trying to load with other MODs placed in the same dir with them, I'm guessing because FS2 uses the ones with highest alphabetical order, thus providing the MOD with the wrong files.  What I'd want to do would be to place the MODs in their own dir, eg \freespace2\FSPort and \freespace2\othermod and use the above mentioned multiple MOD syntax to get them working correctly.  I've already tried using subdirs eg \FSPort\othermod and using -mod othermod; it doesn't work.  Anybody have some clarification on this issue?  Or should I just move the files each time I use a different MOD?  (Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to put together a FS2 DVD with detailed install instructions for a friend at work, but it's getting complicated to write the install manual because the MODs work unless you try installing them all; but shuffling file/folders from a \freespace2\disabled directory isn't too user-friendly)

PS Also if someone could fix the 'no spaces allowed in MOD path' issue...but I'm sure that one has been brought up elsewhere.  Pardon me if I sound like I'm whining, but I don't have the knowledge to deal with any of these issues myself (-yet! ;-) )

Offline CaptJosh

You only use the -mod switch once. Don't you have the launcher? The current one has a tab for switching mods and you only load one at a time. And really, this belongs in the SCP forums. This thread is for new builds of FS2 Open and comments on those.

EDIT: Looks like I didn't read carefully enough. Somehow I thought he was saying something about -mod something, -mod something. That'll teach me to post when I'm not awake yet. LOL
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 10:42:34 am by CaptJosh »
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There are two ways to use the multimod features you're on about jr2. Either use a mod ini file or use -mod mod1,mod2.

Unless you made a typo with one of the folder names to be honest I can't see what you're doing wrong. What you're describing is exactly what I typed into the launcher's custom flags section for ages.

Personally though I think you'd be better off using mod.ini files for what you are trying to do though. That way all your friend has to do is select the mod he wants to play in the launcher and the mod.ini file will automatically configure the multimod folders for him. If you use multimod the way you are trying your friend will have to remember which mod goes with what.
 You can find a bunch of sample ini files here. All you have to do is add the mods themselves to the folders in that rar file.

Josh is right about this really being in the wrong thread. I'll split it off into another one and put it in the main SCP forum in a bit.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I got it figured out (in my opinion, this should be included in all FSOpen/Launcher readme files, if it isn't already):  I was using incorrect syntax.  You must type -mod [mod1],[mod2],[Media VPs folder] , but here's the catch: [mod1] is the MOD you want to play, [mod2] is the MOD that [mod1] depends on, and if you have the Media VPs in a separate folder (which is recommended, I guess from what I've read), then that comes last.  I was using the opposite order, which was causing the problem.  I found the answer by chance by reading the thread about not being able to use spaces in MOD directories when specifying them in the launcher.

from karajorma in Hard Light Productions Forums  »  FreeSpace  »  The Source Code Project
Topic: mod directory name cant contain space

Either type -mod mod1,mod2,media_VPs into the launcher manually (Where mod1 is the mod you want to play, mod2 is the name of any supporting mods it needs and media_VPs is the name of the folder where you put the VPs) or use mod ini files to do the same sort of thing automatically.

Don't you have the launcher?

PS Yes...I have Launcher 5.3, but if it let you specify more than one MOD, then I would not have had this problem; the Launcher would use correct syntax.  Currently, to specify more than one MOD I end up using "No MOD" and typing the MOD list in manually.
PPS Thanks for the time guys!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 01:42:02 pm by jr2 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Glad you solved this one JR2 I think I should write up a detailed explaination on using multimod and mod ini's at some point :)

Offline CaptJosh

I was unaware of this feature. I haven't been keeping track as closely as I might. This is an interesting feature, though. It would, I think, let Sol: A History be run as dependent on Inferno. Though that would require the creator(s) of S:aH to rework it.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was unaware of this feature. I haven't been keeping track as closely as I might. This is an interesting feature, though. It would, I think, let Sol: A History be run as dependent on Inferno. Though that would require the creator(s) of S:aH to rework it.

S:AH along with a couple of TBP campaigns like Tales of EAS Janos were the main reason I asked for the feature in the first place :) It was getting back to the retail days where you had to move folders around in order to choose which campaign you wanted to play again.

Multimod has been around for ages. It will work perfectly well with S:AH. You just need to use an older build of FS2_Open same as you do if not using multimod.

Offline CaptJosh

Re: Problem trying to use some MODs
Well, maybe you need an older build, but I managed to make S:aH work on current builds. Had to mod three tables and include the Inferno R1 SCP patch VP, but it works, except for the missing friendly and enemy planet briefing icons.
CaptJosh