Author Topic: Sorry to beat a dead horse, but Battlestar Galactica "Computer networks"  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but Battlestar Galactica "Computer networks"
Hey guys, I just got the season one DVDs of BSG for xmas (woot! :D) and I think I found the cause as to why Galactica's computers being "networked" automatically makes them controllable by Cylons - if you watch around 2:12-2:14 on Episode one, it explains how Baltar's nav program had been used to let the Cylons into the ship's systems. On the other Battlestars and Colonial ships, the nav system was networked to the other systems, such as fire control, weapons, etc. I think when they say "networked" they may just mean that the entire system is basically one giant computer, rather than a bunch of seperate computers each running off their own CPU systems. So, basically, when Galactica was infected, the infection DID work, but, since the nav computer wasn't connected to any other systems, the infection never spread. It could have shut down the nav system, but that would not have had any difference - after all, Galactica's FTL jumps were plotted by hand (also seen in the first episode). So, that's my explanation as to why the mysterious "networking" problem occurred - Galactica's nav system did have the bad code, but since it wasn't linked to any other systems, it never caused any harm.

EDIT: BTW, Omni, are you never going to get back to me on the table thing? :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 09:47:03 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse, but Battlestar Galactica "Computer networks"
That horse has been dead for a lllloooooonnnnnggggg time man.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Hey guys, I just got the season one DVDs of BSG for xmas (woot! :D) and I think I found the cause as to why Galactica's computers being "networked" automatically makes them controllable by Cylons - if you watch around 2:12-2:14 on Episode one, it explains how Baltar's nav program had been used to let the Cylons into the ship's systems. On the other Battlestars and Colonial ships, the nav system was networked to the other systems, such as fire control, weapons, etc. I think when they say "networked" they may just mean that the entire system is basically one giant computer, rather than a bunch of seperate computers each running off their own CPU systems. So, basically, when Galactica was infected, the infection DID work, but, since the nav computer wasn't connected to any other systems, the infection never spread. It could have shut down the nav system, but that would not have had any difference - after all, Galactica's FTL jumps were plotted by hand (also seen in the first episode). So, that's my explanation as to why the mysterious "networking" problem occurred - Galactica's nav system did have the bad code, but since it wasn't linked to any other systems, it never caused any harm.

EDIT: BTW, Omni, are you never going to get back to me on the table thing? :)

duh?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: Sorry to beat a dead horse, but Battlestar Gal
Last I saw it, there was a big debate as to what it was, and most of it ended up in calling the producers stupid because they didn't know how networks worked :p

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Ahh, but in another episode they mentioned that even though they had Baltar's program, it'd never been loaded into the computer banks. (One of the first ones, I think - possibly the miniseries).

My own explanation is that the computers on Galactica had two modes; standalone and networked. In standalone mode, the computers reject any kind of outside connection. In networked mode, however, they first query the connection.

Since networked computers are rarely used on Galactica, it's possible that they weren't as hack-proof as they could've been. So maybe someone had an unsecured wireless line here or there in the ship, that wouldn't usually matter because the computers would reject all connections, but in this case it would. Plus, Galactica had its Dradis and Comm systems running, possibly exchanging data with the Vipers, creating another point of vulnerability. (Buffer overflow errors and the like)

Galactica was sort of like a Windows XP computer without any service packs and only a simple firewall, whose prime form of defense against cracking was that people used the phone instead of going online to IM.
-C

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Making a hack-proof computer is easy-- just hardwire it so that it can ONLY execute code from ROM. That would still allowing tampering with RAM though, so set up quadruple-redundant RAM with a memory controller that continuously compares the banks against each other, and if any discrepancies are found, the suspect bits are reset by a simple "majority rules" scheme. Each RAM bank would, of course, be individually encrypted and scrambled with unique seeds-- both to obfuscate the data and to destroy any direct correspondence between bit locations in each bank.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
...to obfuscate...

Is that a word?

EDIT: And it was in the pilot; they said that the systems weren't networked, so it was never loaded into primary...RAM, I think it was.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:13:31 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It wasn't RAM, that's too technical. It would've been something like "memory" or "databanks".

Yes, obfuscate is a word :p
-C

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Basically the Cylons loaded up a trojan horse.  Or whats what the put in Baltars nav computer code. Then they went through the backdoor on all the security software and shut battlestars and vipers down without a second thought.

The reason that the newer Vipers (the oh so lovely Mark VII!) still work is if they get the code removed and their computer networks dismantled.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...the newer Vipers (the oh so lovely Mark VII!)...

I don't think they're all that beautiful TBH... *shrugs*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
They both look pretty good, IMHO. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The Mk. 7's are so 1337........
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
They're ok looking. Could've done away the with the pod thing on the top though  :doubt: