Author Topic: Installing Official 3.6.7 Media VPs  (Read 1080 times)

Installing Official 3.6.7 Media VPs
Noob here!  I need some clarification on how to install the 3.6.7 VPs.  It's probably something simple.

To preserve the original retail install, I downloaded the official 3.6.7 VPs (with the three patches) from the SCP website and placed them into their own folder within the Freespace2 installation folder.  I also downloaded the beta 3.6.8 VPs from the forum and placed them into their own folder.  When I fire up FS2 Open using the 3.6.8 VPs everything's solid.  When I use the official 3.6.7s, it crashes to the "Warning!" dialog immediately every time.  Is there something I'm not doing?  Do I need to do something with the three patches besides placing them into the same folder?

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Re: Installing Official 3.6.7 Media VPs
With the 3.6.8 VP's, you'll need a pretty new CVS build. Check in the Recent Builds subform for those. And DO NOT put those patches in with the 3.6.8 ones, as they're only for the 3.6.7's and will cause conflicts if you mix 'em up with other versions.

Since you'll have to switch builds whenever you want to use the 3.6.7's, I suggest you stick to the 3.6.8 deltas, as those are pretty stable at this point.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Use the 3.6.7 VPs, minus the third patch, with 3.6.7. Use the 3.6.8-delta VPs with recent CVS past 12/29. CVS builds have been pretty stable these days, so there's usually not any reason to use a build in between those two points.

The third 3.6.7 patch requires a CVS build prior to midway through Dec, so it's easier to just toggle between two build-VP sets than trying to juggle three different ones.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. As WMCoolmon says the problem is the 3rd patch. You need a certain small subset of builds to use it cause some of the names of table functions were changed between it appearing and 3.6.8 coming out.

Simply delete the 3rd patch like he suggests. It's not worth the hassle of dealing with it. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]