Author Topic: SCv Tiamat  (Read 2165 times)

I have a question regarding the Moloch in the main Freespace 2 campaign, and regarding any other ship that may behave in a similar manner. During the mission Proving Grounds, in my opinion it is hard to destroy the Moloch... not only because there is limited time, but for some reason, it's damage will go no lower than 1 using missiles and rockets. The Aquitaine will only do so much damage to the Moloch, and that leaves me trying to disable the engines so the corvette cannot escape. Once the Aquitaine leaves and the Moloch is left disabled, I order my squadron to destroy it, using nothing but Tempests, Hornets, and Harpoons. And everytime, using this method, the damage level will drop to 1 and remain there. I took a nap for an hour this morning after a damage level of 1 was reached to see if I would wake up with a destroyed Moloch, but that didn't happen. Is there a reason why the damage cannot go beyond this point using only weapons of these kinds? Beams and torpedoes would without a doubt destroy the Moloch eventually, but was the limited potential of missiles and rockets intended? Thanks.

Offline bfobar

I have a question regarding the Moloch in the main Freespace 2 campaign, and regarding any other ship that may behave in a similar manner. During the mission Proving Grounds, in my opinion it is hard to destroy the Moloch... not only because there is limited time, but for some reason, it's damage will go no lower than 1 using missiles and rockets. The Aquitaine will only do so much damage to the Moloch, and that leaves me trying to disable the engines so the corvette cannot escape. Once the Aquitaine leaves and the Moloch is left disabled, I order my squadron to destroy it, using nothing but Tempests, Hornets, and Harpoons. And everytime, using this method, the damage level will drop to 1 and remain there. I took a nap for an hour this morning after a damage level of 1 was reached to see if I would wake up with a destroyed Moloch, but that didn't happen. Is there a reason why the damage cannot go beyond this point using only weapons of these kinds? Beams and torpedoes would without a doubt destroy the Moloch eventually, but was the limited potential of missiles and rockets intended? Thanks.

yeah, corvettes have a capship flag that prevents most weapons from destroying them. bigger ships have another flag that prevent most weapons from taking them under like 75% or something (the exact numbers and flag names are somewhere in the Wiki). The best bet in this mission is somehow get your wingmen to dogpile the corvette while you destroy everything else. Theoretically, they will get it down low enough fast enough working together so that the aquitaine can deliver the coup-de-grace with a beam before it jumps out. Also the aquitaine wont fire unless you're close to the corvette because the mission is set up like the aquitaine needs your targetting data to be able to see the moloch in the nebula.

You don't get them on that mission, but I think trebuchets can blow up a corvette.

I understand now, thanks. But as I was working through this mission, I realized that I had already earned the right to use the Morning Star and the EMP 2 missile, yet they are not available in the loadout screen. I remember in the past when I played FS2 retail I would always use the EMP missiles to slow down the Shivan bombers and their torpedoes, and use the Morning Star to disorient the Pegasi (however you say it in plural form), but now I do not have that option.

One final note is the visual effects of the Prometheus S. It looks as if I am seeing double each time I fire a shot. It appears as if I had two cannons on each side of my ship that are stacked on top of each other vertically, so that the laser shots appear the way they do, even though that is not the reality of the situation. What could be causing the Morning Star/EMP2 issue, and the double vision Prometheus S?

Offline Kaine

i had a similar problem with as your morning star/emp missile problem after i converted my FS2 pilot to FS2_Open. fixed by starting a new pilot (had to play through to get back to where i was again, but is that really so bad?)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The 'Reset Loadout' button may make the missing weapons appear in the techroom.
-C

Yeah, I gave that a shot, but no go. I guess I'll just have to make a new pilot. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: But I wonder what the deal is with the double Prometheus S... I will try to get a screenshot asap.

Ok, the Morning Star and the EMP missile are now available... I had to create a new pilot, reset the campaign, and then use the pilot that I began with to continue. So now all of the weapons that I had earned have become available again. Thanks.

Now for the Prometheus S... I feel foolish because I failed to realize that even though the ship selection screen says that the GTB Artemis has 2 gun mounts, it actually has 4. So I am over here expecting to see only 2 lasers fired, instead I get 4 and I automatically assume an error. So no problem here with the Prometheus S or any cannon. 

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Um, the Artemis only has 2 gunpoints.  There is however, a regun of the Artemis (by a different name) for Derelict.  Its pretty much the same ship except it has one bank of 4 firepoints.  You could be getting some kind of mod interference if Derelict is installed... long shot though.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I don't have Derelict installed or any other mod accept FSPort. I always thought the Artemis had 2 gunpoints as well, but I always get 4 shots. I thought that this would make sense, because when I saw where the shots were coming from, I could see that there are two triangular holes within each weapon pod. So I assumed that the number of gunpoints was altered to accommodate the number of firing points on the actual model, and that this change was not made apparent in the ship selection screen. No matter what weapon I use, I always get 4 shots, two from each side. Does anyone see this with the Artemis besides me?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are you using the HTL Artemis?

No, I had it at first until it was removed for some reason from the site. Apparently it wasn't finished or something, so I deleted the files that I had downloaded.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'd suggest you open the model up in MODview and see what firepoints are actually there.

K I'll give it a shot.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Nope, the artemeis has 4 gunpoints, always has, fire it up in modviw.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Yeah I am getting 4, too. That should be updated in the ship selection screen however. Thanks guys.