Author Topic: RIAA wants student to drop out of MIT  (Read 9170 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Re: RIAA wants student to drop out of MIT
Hrmmm.
The crap indeed.

Offline Kosh

I find it sad that they are willing to sacrifice America's future (students from such universities as MIT) for the sake of a few extra dollars (and not even that considering how expensive lawyers are).
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Next up; RIAA suggests mothers pimp out their young children to pay for the S-Club 7 track they inadvertantly downloaded.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Next up; RIAA suggests mothers pimp out their young children to pay for the S-Club 7 track they inadvertantly downloaded.

i thought S-Club 7 paid people to listen to their tortu....er...music
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I find it sad that they are willing to sacrifice America's future (students from such universities as MIT) for the sake of a few extra dollars.
I believe the massive cutbacks in funding and the travesty that the educational system has slowly been turning into (see: ID actually getting into schools) pretty much shows conclusively that Americans don't give a flying f**k about their future...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
hence the reason i boycott all american music made by big name lables. i can pirate some other country's music. norwigian kvlt bm bands dont seem to care as it is very kvlt to have your music pirated. its not like the big lables in the us are responsible for any good music anyway.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Grey Wolf

I find it sad that they are willing to sacrifice America's future (students from such universities as MIT) for the sake of a few extra dollars.
I believe the massive cutbacks in funding and the travesty that the educational system has slowly been turning into (see: ID actually getting into schools) pretty much shows conclusively that Americans don't give a flying f**k about their future...
Private universities have nothing at all to do with the primary/secondary educational system. I sincerely doubt you'd see MIT students being taught about ID, just like you wouldn't in at least half the country. Don't let a few idiots taint your view of the entire country.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Private universities have nothing at all to do with the primary/secondary educational system. I sincerely doubt you'd see MIT students being taught about ID, just like you wouldn't in at least half the country. Don't let a few idiots taint your view of the entire country.

There are bible universities in the Us that teach that though, aren't there?  Y'know, they'll shove in something like creationism 101 alongside as a general elective to a business degree.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Grey Wolf

There are bible universities in the Us that teach that though, aren't there?  Y'know, they'll shove in something like creationism 101 alongside as a general elective to a business degree.
There are, but you don't group one of the country's top engineering schools with Bob Jones University.

And I didn't make up the name of that second university.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html

There are, but you don't group one of the country's top engineering schools with Bob Jones University.

And I didn't make up the name of that second university.

There's a huge difference between ID/creation being taught as religious ed and it being taught as actual science.  I don't know of anywhere in the country besides a couple of ass-backwards high school districts (thank you Kansas) that actually teach ID in a scientific context.  Despite the massive flash in the pan that all of these debates are, very few of them actually get through to the classroom when it's all said and done.

What's sad is that these "negotiation hotlines" that the RIAA uses are highly illegal - right in line with intimidation practices used by the mob - and yet they never get any attention.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kosh

What's sad is that these "negotiation hotlines" that the RIAA uses are highly illegal - right in line with intimidation practices used by the mob -

Who says they aren't the same organization? :nervous:

Brain I/O error

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What's sad is that these "negotiation hotlines" that the RIAA uses are highly illegal - right in line with intimidation practices used by the mob -

Who says they aren't the same organization? :nervous:

The mob are more respectable.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
**** the RIAA. **** them. **** them with a red-hot tire iron. I ****ing hate them. They want a kid to drop out of school to jump through their ****ing circus hoops? They can go blow an elephant. **** them.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Ford phrased that quite elegantly :)
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

I thought so too.

Might've missed a few '****'s though.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Little tame.

Why don't they break the settlement down into smaller payments? I don't get it! They're earning their money and not completely ****ing someone over!

Nevertheless, it was quite dumb of him to get caught in the first place.

1) Burn music to external sources so "The Man" cannot scan your computer to see how many files you have on there. I've got several DvD's worth.

2) Listen to music that doesn't suck ass. That usually means downloading the music of bands the RIAA doesn't give a **** about.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I just don't buy RIAA labels anymore. Incidentally, does anyone have a full list? I say we start a net-wide boycott. ANyone else agree?