Author Topic: New guy (not to be confused with nooB)... AI question  (Read 1319 times)

New guy (not to be confused with nooB)... AI question
Hi everyone.  I'm new, if it wasn't obvious already.  Oh, I guess the Post count probably helps, too, and my lowly 21 ranking.

Anyways, I just downloaded the wonderfully pain-free install package (care of ShivanSpS), and I'm up-and-running with great results.  I can't wait to tweak the hell out of it and make it the Freespace I always wanted to be.  I may even build up the confidence to venture past the stable releases and keep on the bleeding-edge of the project, and try out all the new stuff you guys are cooking up.  I studied Electrical Engineering instead of Computer Science, so I may not be able to contribute much, but I think I'll understand enough to enjoy it, at least.

So, I'm sure you get this a lot, but I wanted to congratulate everyone involved for the awesome job you're doing.  I was really blown away by the amount of support a game this old can garner.  Now I'm freespacing just like old times (hmmmm that sounds disturbingly close to freebasing...  um, nevermind).  Keep up the good work.

I also had a quick question regarding the AI.  The thing that excited me the most about the SCP was not the graphical upgrades, but the fact that the AI and difficulty scaling could be tweaked.  That is something I have been wanting to do for a long time.  My piloting skills are medium at best, so I can generally only play on the Hard difficulty level.  That's all well and good, but it pains me to know that I can't see the AI at its full potential.  I'd much prefer to lower the number of enemies (like on a medium difficulty setting) but make each one more difficult to shoot down (better combat AI, like on higher difficulty levels).  I figure it's closer to actual combat, and makes the game more sim-like and less action-like, which I prefer.

I did a search on UseNewAI and only turned up 3 topics, two of which haven't been touched in about a year.  So I'm wondering if there's any documentation or "Newbie Guide" regarding AI table tweaks.  I'd love to mess around with it... I'm just not sure where to start.  OK, I'll be honest.  I have no clue where to start, haha.  Also, I saw in this thread (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,36979.0.html) that the UseNewAI flag is now defunct.  Is that still true?

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Thanks in advance.  I look forward to being part of your community.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: New guy (not to be confused with nooB)... AI question
Instead of UseNewAI you have AI Profiles which you can choose from in FRED.

There's a page about them on the Wiki that should help you get started.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

:lol: *slaps forehead*

Man, I'm so S-M-R-T.  I must have read every page of the Wiki except for that one, haha.

Anyways, thanks a bunch.  I'm sure this will keep me busy for quite a while.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
:p @ Sara

Use 3.6.9, available here
and the Zeta Mediavps from here

Welcome to the HLP. Keep all your fingers and toes inside the installation at all times! Exits are located near the "rear" of the station, however, due to the fact that the airlocks are broken... well let's just say we're not going anywhere . Flamethrowers are located beneath seats, but due to the U.S. good-guy/bad-guy debate, GodTM, legalized flaming, ect. the napalm has been replaced with holy-water. Plasma rifles and shotguns are located in the weapons lockers, however, only the admins, :v:, and the hyperintellegent shade of blue have keys. At no point should you combine the symbols F S and 3, as you will be drowned in holy-water. If you should meet a Shivan in the airducts, give him your lunch and back away slowley. Strawmen may be constructed at any time on level one.

If you have any questions go to Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Offline Einstine909

• (-,-) -meh
 :mad: mars  :mad:
i was going for my first kill just as u posted!!!!!!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :hopping: :hopping: :hopping: :hopping: :hopping: :hopping: :hopping: :hopping:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
:(

You just have too many better things to do... in order to wrack up kills you need to be watching to forums constantly...  while making your own special beam banner

Offline Einstine909

• (-,-) -meh
well... if u put it that way :D thanx

mentioning new beams: check mine out( in the modding section) ::)