Author Topic: Airplane discussion  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Dysko

This discussion was born on the "Italianessness" thread due to curiosity, but I think I should make this more direct:
What's your favourite airplane?

Mine is the F-16, but I also like other stuff like F-14, Typhoon and Su-27.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Shade

SR-71 Blackbird. Honourable mention goes to the Harrier and any recent Sukhoi.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:51:14 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Jets or anything? I gotta say I love the F-15, but if I had to choose my favorite "looker" it's the Mig-3.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
When I was little I enjoyed the Mig-3. Maybe I could find my old pictures :lol:

The SR-71 is a God aircraft. I have a model just in front of me, near the monitor.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline Dysko

When I was little I enjoyed the Mig-3. Maybe I could find my old pictures :lol:
Maybe he is talking about the MiG-3 from WWII? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-3)

In Ace Combat 3 there was a fighter called Aurora I saw on a recent number of La Macchina Del Tempo.
It's not always a fanta-sim...
Errr... the Aurora wasn't a fighter. It was a concept bomber. It should have flied above Mach 3, at very high altitude and with a very large range of action, it should have been stealth and VTOL. Obviously, technology doesn't allow to put all that stuff in a single plane, so it evolved in a plane that is only stealth with a large range of action: the B-2 bomber. See http://www.fas.org/irp/mystery/aurora.htm

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I was talking about AC3's Aurora,which was a fighter...

My attempts of drawing a Mig-3...I'll never forget them! I like the cockpit of that fighter,because it's so close to the timone di coda.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Brewster B-239, at least for now. Excellent aircraft.

Though I have to point out that it was not Brewster Buffalo, which was a ridiculous fighter plane. Its type name was B-339, and it - along with F2A-2 - sucked bad. B-239 was much closer to prototype F2A-1 - so close that actually the prototype model (XF2A-1) was included in the planes that were used by Finnish pilots...

In case you didn't know, Finnish Brewster pilots scored a kill-to-death ratio of 496 russian planes shot down against 19 lost Brewsters. Ie. approximately 26:1 K/D ratio.

It had excellent maneuverability, good cockpit visibility, it was easy to fly, had relatively good armament (earlier, 3x .50 + .303 machine guns, later 4x .50 machine guns), and it was extremely reliable plane - the engines could be used much longer than planned. It could also take quite abeating until disintegrating, although pilot protection wasn't the best of words. It was also quite fast and durable in descent, too, even if it wasn't the fastest fighter in level flight.

Of course, the success of B-239 has also *something* to do with pilots and tactics, but it does tell something of the plane as well. The highest scoring Finnish ace, Ilmari Juutilainen, who flew 437 sorties, scoring 94½ official kills - without EVER getting hit by enemy fire.

Although once his Bf-109 was damaged by friendly AAA, so he had to land. :nervous:

That's my absolute favourite plane at least for now.

Newer planes can't compete, although some come close. :nod:

Another very nice plane I'd like to have when I get older and filthy rich is PIK-20D...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Do you like the Arado,used by German Air Forces in WWII?
The Lightblue Ribbon

I like either the B2 Spirit bomber, or the F117 fighter....  ;7

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Do you like the Arado,used by German Air Forces in WWII?

Who, me?

What Arado are you referring to? Arado Ar-196 If you're referring to the waterplane... No, not really. :ick: It's an ugly maritime recon plane with lousy specs and armament. And it looks kinda ugly, too.

On the other hand, Arado Ar-234 is completely different story... Being the first jet powered bomber aircraft and all. :nod:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Dysko

Since we are talking about nice WWII planes, take a look to this site: http://www.luft46.com/. Those are secret planes of the Luftwaffe that never flew. Some are very nice-looking.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic

:lol:

That is very... ergonomic and useful construction, I dare say. Mistel on a mistel, eh? Ingenious.

Must've been very nice to pilot that cruise missile. :nervous:

Other pearl:

Asymmetric design FTW. Can't say much else... it would've been a pain to actually pilot that thing in rotated-wing mode. Using the ailerons would've had effect not only on roll, but also pitch, when another aileron was forward and another was behind... :rolleyes:

Offline ZmaN

SR-71 Blackbird. Honourable mention goes to the Harrier and any recent Sukhoi.

I've always loved the blackbird, since i was like 8!
But Im also a fan of the new Airbus AX whatever its called (the double decker one)
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Sukhoi Su-47 "Berkut" FTW!!
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
In Combat Flight Simulator 3 there were two German X crafts.One was a Gotha,basically a small B-2 Spirit. The other had to eliche, one ahead and one behind.In fact is reported that bailing off was difficult,because the pilot had to cut off the second elica first...

When I was little I read something about a Viper(I don't remember the G. name,only its translation)a piloted rocket launched like a V1 armed with small rockets.The fighter had to launch its rockets on American bombers,then it was useless and went down,losing most of its parts.Then the Germans would have re-used the other parts...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Mobius...are you talking about the Dornier Do-335?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_335

The rear tail section actually has explosive charges that, on ignition of the ejection seat, blows the tail section off so as to allow the seat and pilot to safely pass behind the aircraft.  This was one of the first aircraft with an ejection seat and the whole system, although complex, worked quite well.  The Do-335 is actually the highest performing piston engine prop fighter developed.  Reason being that it has two very powerful engines (for the weight) but with the drag consequences of only one engine (plus a propeller).

My favourite aircraft are the Hawker Tempest (and Typhoon), Supermarine Spitfire, F4U Corsair, F-18 Hornet, Focke Wulf FW190, Tornado, and Eurofighter Typhoon.  I have a developing interest in the F-22 and F-35...but they are still curiousities and not my favourites.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yes! It was the Do-335!!!

Your favourite planes,except for the F/A-18 I never loved at 100%,were my favourites too.I prefer the Typhoon to the Tempest.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I prefer the Typhoon to the Tempest.

They aren't that much different, you know. Mainly the Typhoon was a bit shorter, had straight-edged, smaller wings and only straight engine types.

The Tempest had elliptic wings, slightly bigger than Typhoon's, somewhat longer fuselage, and one of the Tempest production models - Tempest F Mk.2 - had a radial engine, Bristol Centaurus.

I personally like the tempest more, but dislike the Typhoon/Tempest family.

I much prefer an elegant, maneuverable and accurate plane - like B-239, despite its slowth in level flight... In comparison, planes like Typhoon, Tempest and for example P-47 models are crude, inaccurate and loud affairs.

I prefer accuracy over big guns. :p That's also why I don't feel the same attraction to current war planes as I feel towards WWI/II planes... There's no skill in busting enemy with a missile.

...I'm talking about computer games, obviously. I enjoy more peppering vital systems of enemy plane with .50cal's than blasting them from 100 miles with a missile. In real life, I would use the missile much rather... :nervous:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

omg rutan is a shivan!!!!!

and of course

the arab smasher!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Since we are talking about nice WWII planes, take a look to this site: http://www.luft46.com/. Those are secret planes of the Luftwaffe that never flew. Some are very nice-looking.

who says we're ALL talking about WWII planes?

I like either the B2 Spirit bomber, or the F117 fighter....  ;7

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity