Author Topic: How smart are you?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
We seem to have a very intelligent FreeSpace community. Or is it just the HLP community? Aha!  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
The latter.

Only 13 days of school left in this bloody place. Moving on...  

Oh yeah, I'm really smart. 10 in physics, maths and English  
(10 is the best, 4 is the worst)

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
HLF community.   But I'm not included in that catagory, no matter what they say at school! Unidan reminds me of my newbie days... I was modelling and tbling FS1 at that time. Yes, I'm a brag.   But I haven't gotten any better at it!

Hey, that's OT... Sorry.

------------------
[Looks at his XWAU Orders... Keep a high profile.]
X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project Public Relations. No, XWA won't such anymore!
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Nah, it's cool. One of the great things about this community (I mean the Hard Light one, which I think will continue even after FS is gone) is that you guys are smart enough to moderate yourselves. Which is cool.  

Offline Arnav

• Slightly rusty technology
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
Krunk stupid.... no honestly. I'm slaved to my school chair doing twenty two IGCSE exams for 9 subjects in the space of three weeks!
Oh yeah, I get A's.

------------------
- Arnav Manchanda
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/techsup
- Arnav
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.

Offline Pez

I just wanna say that education doesn't matter all that much (it's good with a good education though) in terms when being smart. Just cause you have alot of education doesn't mean you are smart. Trust me, I meet idiots at the university everyday.

Pez

[This message has been edited by Pez (edited 05-15-2001).]

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

We seem to have a very intelligent FreeSpace community. Or is it just the HLP community? Aha!

The HLP part of it is definately the benefactor.  At least right now.

HLP is more of a niche site with an emphasis on modding and an even greater emphasis on people who already are knowledgeable about the topic.  This requires an average IQ higher than a brick wall, which is what you experience on the general forums such as the VWBB and the VBB.  Not all the time granted but most of the time.

I'm personally just a high school student.  Average wouldn't quite fit because I've been all over the board in terms of marks although i'm proud of my recent achievements and potential scholarships for next year (although small and insignificant, still a source of pride).  As far as talking physics and the like, I can't do the calculations and I probably won't take another hardcore science course in my life, but I do enjoy the subject casually and I can talk the talk in general theory and terms.

Its not intelligence, or education persay, but the interest and the attitude.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions

Its not intelligence, or education persay, but the interest and the attitude.

Very well said.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I was Krooz™ing along some of the old HLP threads and found this one. Some of these old ones really interested me... but the new generation of HLPers hasn't really seen them at all. So, I want all of youse to answer the question... what is your education level?   To that effect...

*bump!*

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Here I go......

Just managed to get into Secondary School.

Passed my GCE "O" Levels with a nice score of 14 points for Best Five Subjects.

Got a Diploma in Multimedia Computing.

Now, waiting for the Army to call me in for National Service.

------------------
GTD Excellence Webmaster
<                                       [b][email protected][/b]                                                     >
"Be flakked or be square!"

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hmmm... I didn't really care all that much for the schools here, even though on average the level of education is higher here in Israel than in the USA.  

But when I asked to major in Computer Science and they placed me in Tourisim (since it had a few points of computers and required good English), I realized that my education would not come from the 1-12th grade educational system. I started teaching myself everything about computers I could get my hands on - hardware, OS'es, HTML, networking - basically everything except hard-core programming (no time... yet).

Of course right after 12th grade the army stole me for 3 years, so since then I've been playing catch-up. I'll probably go into Uni. in February for somethhing or other in computers... PHP and MySQL, possibly. Anyways, my interests have never been content with remaining mere interests, and I've always tried to read up as much as possible about many things - astronomy, higher physics, etc etc - so my base knowledge is quite wide.  

Then there's my sense of humor.... I'm hoping it's genetic, so I have an excuse.    

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
I,ve only got 1 GSCE C grade in Science but i did that last, when i was 14 so i think im on track   . Note C was the highest you could get  

[This message has been edited by Zeronet (edited 12-15-2001).]
Got Ether?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Only 15 years old here (10th grade), so I haven't really gotten a chance to study some things I really want to yet. That should change in a few years.   (getting heavily into mechanical engineering and theoretical astrophysics, so those would be my first choices in college) IMHO the school system here sucks though, so I do a lot of stuff independently.  

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 12-15-2001).]

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Heh.... how old is this?  
 Ah, since then I've flopped my exams since I never did any work, then decided to do some work and not flop these ones coming up  
 Heh... I've also for some strange reason got half of the girls in the year below me fancying me... strange really. But then again, I'm not arguing.
 Next year me and my mate Beaver are gonna probably do a 2 year college course in computing, with the aim of eventually becoming coders... maybe. Still not sure what I want to do  

------------------
Chickens are strange things really. They pop up whenever you don't expect them.
"Why do I have a conscience, all it does is **** with me, why do I have this torment all I wanna do is **** it away"- Korn
 "When you're ripe, you'll bleed outta control" Deftones

HERE FISHY FISHY FISHY!
HELLO OLLY! IT'S A DEAD OLLY!
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
7 GCSE's
Studying AS Maths Mechanics and Physics,
doing Biology and Chemistry next year (studying all to A level) then Law and History to AS in my final year.

------------------
Homer: So I thought to myself 'What would God do?'
Bart: Mwuhaha. Locusts

I is internet proficient
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
I graduate from high school this year, after that, I really dont know what I'm gonna do for my education..

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
heh, I'll told you, but you won't understand anything, it's french stuff hehe:
So, at college, 2 years of general education, I did one year of STI (Industrial technics science), then 2 years of bac L (Litterature). then went to faculty for one year (English DEUG), and now I'm in art school (hand graphic school). Next year, I go to computer graphics school, for 6 months, and then should be provided with a job  
(after all, you should understand everything, I think I explained enough   )
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
8 standard grades (6 1's, 2 2's)
7 Highers (4 A's, 2 B's, 1 C)
1 SYS B
2nd year student, Computer Science (BSc) at University of Strathclyde...possibly doing a masters after my degree in 2/3 years time.

I managed to get through highschool  

I have a 2yr degree in automotive sciences, and I'm starting on my associate degree next quarter to go towards getting my Master's degree (4yr) in computer science.

Most of the rest of what I know is the result of a very disjointed and scitzophrenic bunch of interests including:
 theoretical physics (mostly resaerch for ideas into various Sci-Fi ideas, such as FTL travel and the real world effects of Einstien's field equasion),
 Drama and writing (again, to develope Sci-Fi stories and backgrounds),
 Electronics (cause I love to play with gadgets),
 Aviation design (cause I love building flyable models),
 Mathmatics (up to Algebra, can't remember most of the Trig/ Calc I learned.  Been too long since I used any of it),
 A smattering of programming in C, C++, and VBasic (just barely enough to get myself in trouble   ),
 and... baking    (Christmas time in my house is so cool, never a shortage of cookies, candies, or romantic candle-lit dinners   )

------------------
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Self taught unix geek (been doing that for the last ten years). I have 1 semester (4 credits) of Lightwave modelling.

I spent 5 yrs in the navy, a year as a web hosting company sysadmin, a year as a college sysadmin and now I work for another webhosting company.

I am mostly self taught in all my skills. I read entirely too much (at least a novel a week, usually more like three to five). I spend my free time working on 3d modelling, games (not as much as I'd like), web design, quantum theory and other 'hard' sciences.

In summary? I'm a geek  .

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]