Author Topic: Size matters  (Read 21095 times)

For some more shear size and realivity....
A correctly scaled 6 foot tall human, just replace the ship with a similar sized fs2 ship.

bomber's 40meters long

a 600meter long destroyer

theres a person in the this pic

can you imagine what 6km would look like?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
"This is your captain speaking, please stop smoking and bring your tables and seat backs into the upright position"

That really brings home just how big the Orion actually is :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
And it kinda kills the credibility of the mission where the NTD Repulse rams the GTVA Colossus...

Seriously, they would've chewed into each other until the engine blocks would've hit each other. Of course it could be explained by ultra-stiff and strong structures, but still... meh. ;)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well it was only going at ~15m/s :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
"Evacuate forward decks 500-800! Brace for impa-"  *Tonk*  "Phew, almost spilled my coffee."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
when I played that mission the Repulse never reached the Collie.... was pawned before he rammed it.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well it was only going at ~15m/s :D

Yeah... and don't we all know how easy it is to stop a medium-sized mountain top moving at 15 m/s.

Oh well, we've known since beginning that also Volition didn't worry about gravity or anything inertial... ;7 Even though they gave the ships some pseudo-inertial table values to handle some aspects like rotation. :rolleyes:

@TrashMan:

Yeah, it didn't actually hit the Colossus on this end either... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Hey Fishguts those are really good  :yes:.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
If the Colossus's hull can take a 2 Gigaton warhead with only minimal damage... a collision with a 2Km destroyer shouldn't be too much worse.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Force = Mass x Acceleration

The destroyer would do a lot of damage, especially if it was warping in from subspace.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
@Mars - The Repulse has more momentum than a 2 Gt warhead, and in low-speed collisions the momentum is in key role when you're guesstimating what happens. Armour plating of FS2 warships is, IMO, primarily designed to withstand energy weapons such as beams and blobs of different kind. The warhead's destructive effect is based on high energy yield, meaning that they basically rise the temperature of the armour until it softens, and that causes damage as well as the shockwaves running through the hull. However, the hull and armour are designed to be as repulsive to this kind of beating as possible.

When a 300 million metric ton spacecraft (my minimum guesstimate of an Orion's mass, does anyone have more accurate knowledge?) hits something, even at 15 m/s, it really can't be stopped very easily.

AS I said, what would really happen if a two-km destroyer rammed a larger ship is that they would carve their way into each other until the momentum of both ships would be equally distributed to each ship (means that the wreckages would stay joined to each other and continue moving at same speed). Unless they have specially reinforced noses.

In which case the rear end of the ship would continue to move forward when the nose stopped. In Orion's case, the engine section wold start crumbling forwards. In Colossus' case, also the protrusions below the main hull would snap from their attachements and start floating forward, or at least bend forward significantly...

It would be an interesting scene to simulate, actually. :nervous:

@spartan - F=ma, yes, but it has little to do with this.

It's more interesting to compare momentums, kinetic energy yields and also impulses. Impulse is the change of momentum, and it tells us the average force needed to create mentioned change of momentum in certain period of time. To elaborate,

F = I/dt

where I is change of momentum and dt is change of time - in this case, the time that the collision takes to happen.

Ah well, I'm getting too serious again. :p

You also have to take into account "soft spots" on the ship. Some parts of the hull would be weaker than others for different reasons. If you rammed the bridge (assuming that the bridge is stupidly put close to the outer edge of the ship), there would be serious collateral damage...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
30K ship, bah. What about the 150K background ship?

On the other hand, after a certain amount of difficulty in killing, the player does feel rather helpless. And disabling in some cases feels rather dumb.

Anyway, the Tsunami is... 5GT bomb, and takes out about a quarter of the hull of a Fenris. Fenris has 1/125 or so of the health of the Colossus.

2.5  teraton bomb... To kill something 6 Km across...

Either the Colossus is tough, or Earth is really weak, because I don't think it can take 100,000 big H-bombs.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
You really can't compare TNT yield vs ingame hitpoints vs ship length. Double the TNT equivalent doesn't produce a fireball twice as big, for starters.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The Tsunami has no TNT measurement tied to it... although using E=MC2 and a conversion figure I don't have you could figure out the TNT yield of a 500 ton mass converting to energy.

The Harbinger was 2 GT

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Size matters are all a matter of size.

Pointless post.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Stop that! You're a mod, you're supposed to be setting a good example. :p
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
The harbinger was 5GT, not 2GT....
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Oops... so basically it destroys a hemisphere rather than a continent