Author Topic: Use the features! (Detail Box mini tutorial)  (Read 6811 times)

Re: Use the features! (Detail Box mini tutorial)
Does anyone know how, if possible in Max to "sketch" details (possibly using an image)  such as cutting polygons to fit the detail,  instead of having to apply the texture, cut the polys, rejoin unnecessary vertices, then extrude?  Not sure if that made any sense.  Something like Displace function but actually works well.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
If I had the Webspace, I'd host them myself to be honest, but Pipex' main weakness is the lousy 50Meg I got given :(

No more excuses. :D
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's handy 'arry, thanks :)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Does anyone know how, if possible in Max to "sketch" details (possibly using an image)  such as cutting polygons to fit the detail,  instead of having to apply the texture, cut the polys, rejoin unnecessary vertices, then extrude?  Not sure if that made any sense.  Something like Displace function but actually works well.

I think there are some plugins for this, but I doubt they'll be useful.

I know a 'draw vegetation' pluging for lightwave. Impressive, but somewhat unuseable for tech stuff... It's not very precise.

If I had the Webspace, I'd host them myself to be honest, but Pipex' main weakness is the lousy 50Meg I got given :(

No more excuses. :D

Finally! ... Now I can open my own community!

DaBrain-Warden-Productions-Sector-Watch !

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmm... I registered but never recieved an Email, and since I don't have a spam folder, it's not there...

Wierd.

How bad is Z-buffer problems occurring with this? I'm detailing the hell out of my waterloo and have created tons of panels.  Will zbuffering be a problem.   I kinda doubt it, since it usually occurs at a good distance and not close up.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Depends on the height of your panels. So far I didn't have z-buffer problems, but really flat stuff could cause problems. Plus that's no use anyway, cause you won't be able to see it.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

One more question, this ones more aimed at the coders, how is the detail boxes mesh's textures relate to the main hull? Are they treated like subsystems (aka turrets) or are they batched with the main hull?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yup, as far as I'm aware you define each detail 'group' as a subsystem, say XDetail01, XDetail02.... and the in the Subsystem properties in PCS, add the detail box info :)

Good then I can use a seperate texture map for them (especially reuseable details)