Author Topic: Iffy Question: There a 'legal' DL for Stand-Alone FS2 out there?  (Read 7235 times)

Re: Iffy Question: There a 'legal' DL for Stand-Alone FS2 out there?
Ill upload my CDs for FSZ now, im not doing anything important anyways.

Cool, Hunter dude. I've upped FS1 and FS2 now as well.
Swantz has fixed his links.
Now yours will be up.

All these links are or will be in my guide.

That's some excellent redundancy!

<EDIT> In Freespacezone, only two of the six links work. I re-added nukelol, thanks Swantz.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 05:35:51 pm by Huggybaby »

only 2 of the six links work because I HAVENT FINISHED UPLOADING YET.

Sorry, I forgot that was your site...<skulks away..> :(

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'll be watching this thread. I'm waiting for FS1 disc 1+2 to be reuploaded on Freespacezone. I got fast downloads when I got FS2 disc 1+2+3. I already have Silent Threat from ZmaN's FTP a while back.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
While we have all the hosts here in one thread - I thought I'd make mention that
the FS2 manual has been rather difficult to locate for those that bought via eBay
or are downloaded.

The copy available via HOTU the link appears dead as does the one from
replacementdocs.

So if someone had a copy of that to put with the CD files, that'd be great.

True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Once again, from my sig:

Learn it:
Download all the manuals at once from MediaFire.
Print out the Keyboard chart on one page and fold it into a pyramid, uh, triangle, uh, three sided table tent thingie.

Both FS2 and the FS2 Manual are available at www.the-underdogs.net

FS2's copyright has long since expired, as has the company that issued it, so technically, distribution of FS2 is perfectly legal.

It's up to you, get one FS2 manual from HOTU or

FS1 manual
FS1 reference card
FS2 manual
FS2 reference card

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
FS2's copyright has long since expired

In Soviet Russia, copyright expires. In Capitalist America, Copyright expires YOU!!

IN all seriousness, they COULD still sue all of us for it. It hasn't expired.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
They can't afford to pay their own apartment that they have HQ in... what makes you think that they can actually hire a semi-descent lawyer? You could hire a hobo and beat em in court! You could go alone!! Seriously... they can't afford to sue you; Freespace2 has been distributed quite a few times more then the actual discs were ever distributed.

No pure 'legal' download... point em toward nukelol or freespacezone.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Interplay might not sue you but there's a damn good chance that if you post the link on another forum you could get banned for posting warez.

That's why its better that people are aware of the legal issues.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
They can't afford to pay their own apartment that they have HQ in... what makes you think that they can actually hire a semi-descent lawyer? You could hire a hobo and beat em in court! You could go alone!! Seriously... they can't afford to sue you; Freespace2 has been distributed quite a few times more then the actual discs were ever distributed.

I didn't say they would sue you, just that they could.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Technically they can sue you... nobody has yet knocked on the door of HotU or any other distrubution site. This game was released about 8 years ago now... its not been in a store for about 5+ years. They've not made a penny off the Freespace Franchise in a long while... they made the mistake of sending out too few copies and giving piss-poor advertising. If they could strike a deal with the SCP team or someone else... perhaps they could start making copies of Freespace 2 + SCP 3.6.9 Final?

Offline ni1s

ShivanSpS torrent has always worked for me. Sure it's crammed with a lot of Windows litter(Thumbs.db), ShivanSpS pilot files and mods I didn't ask for but that's easy to correct.

And it's easier on Linux to just unzip and move the *.vp and data directory to whereever you want them...

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
torrents and most p2p file sharing is disallowed by my ISP; it says no hosting of servers.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
torrents and most p2p file sharing is disallowed by my ISP; it says no hosting of servers.

You should still be able to use my installer, as it uses http for its downloads.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword

You should still be able to use my installer, as it uses http for its downloads.

You're probably the one to ask... once we're using SCP, none of the retail's registry entries are need anymore, are they?  I'm just thinking I've been using ISOs of the discs for ages when really I should make an ISO of my FS directory installed.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
You're probably the one to ask... once we're using SCP, none of the retail's registry entries are need anymore, are they?  I'm just thinking I've been using ISOs of the discs for ages when really I should make an ISO of my FS directory installed.

All the registry entries it needs can be created by the launcher automatically.

Just make sure to zip up your folder before you  burn it, otherwise you get read-only errors, even after you copy them over.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a copyright lawyer.  He looked over the EULA and was made aware that the source code was released several years ago and had this to say. 

He said that if someone was ever going to make a stink about .ISOs being downloaded and somehow was considering a lawsuit, the case would depend on one of two things.  Both the letter of the law (the strict meaning of the EULA) or what Interplay's "clear intentions were" 

If it's the former, we're covered.  The EULA definitively says that it's okay to make copies for "friends and acquaintances"  The legal definition of "acquaintance" is pretty darn loose.  Reading the "about us" section of a website would make you an acquaintance of the people running the site, for example.  If you made a post here and someone responded with "Hi, here are some FS2 .isos", they'd be acquaintances.  It would NOT be illegal nor should it be considered warez. 

If it's the latter, it gets a little less bulletproof, simply because Interplay took you to court, but my lawyer friend said that when the source code to a game is released, it would make a very very very hard case for Interplay to prove that it did not intend for people to freely download the game. 

So on either front, people are covered.  It's not a matter of not getting caught (which no one would, a bankrupt company is not going to waste resources on a lawsuit for the downloading of an 8 year old game) it's simply not illegal.  Interplay and Volition made the awesome choice to make FS2 absolutely free to anyone who wants it. 

So if you find an .iso somewhere, download it.  It's completely legal.  I'm not telling people to post them here, because the mods still say .ISOs are warez, and they're in charge, not me :)