Author Topic: Imperial Star Destroyer (WIP)  (Read 96001 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: ISD WIP (split from WIP Thread)
Christ you're twitchy today.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
On the topic of ISD weapons, what I'm considering doing is instead of giving it 60 odd turrets, I'm going to go along the trench and create a bunch of invisible polies, which will be used as weapon points, giving them each 4 firing points and thus it'll be firing staggers of fire without needing to model dozens of turrets
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Another update, more detail on the terraces near the bottom now.

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
When do we get to see the bottom of that thing?  Or aren't you done with it yet?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Problem is that there isn't much detail on the bottom to speak of except for around the hangar, and even less reference images.  I could put up a render of it, but it doesn't show too much honestly

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
Front half with hangar:

Obviously non-canonical hangar shot:

The ass-end(s) of the Star Destroyer:

And just in case... details of the ion turrets:

Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:15:49 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
>>nvm this post, just leaving myself a note to check the wayback machine for alderaanonline<<

EDIT: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.alderaanonline.com
Not sure if the pics survived, though.  :(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:08:17 am by jr2 »

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Hey thanks, those help, you got any pictures from ESB or ROTJ?  It's two different SD classes and I'm going more off the latter one just because the model was far more detailed, and then making major changes for what was different.

By the way, new render, can see a little of the bottom, most of my shots have been of the top because that's what I'm working on most now.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
I couldn't find any.

Hmm. ****in' Chinese, they took down the images. I hope you saved 'em.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 11:46:27 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Didn't get a chance to, they were gone before I looked at the thread.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Updated WIP:

Once again, more detail on the terraces.

Offline Topgun

now, what I want to know is, how many subobjts?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
beautiful brandx!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
now, what I want to know is, how many subobjts?

One, two, three, four... more than a half a dozen.

Offline Topgun

what the heck are you talking about Cobra?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
You're talking about subobjects, and I see at least five or six.

Offline Topgun

How can you tell?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
The two globes, the tractor beam generator (i think) on the bottom, the two steplike dealies, the bridge neck and the bridge, and also the 7 engine pods.

Hmm, guess I was right when I thought there were at least twelve.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 11:06:13 pm by Cobra »

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
How many subobjects?  a billion!

Actually, I haven't subdivided anything yet, I'll be separating those later, along with making destroyed meshes for them.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It's looking awesome so far - I love the greeblage. Nice work. :)

You may already be aware of this, but just in case;
It's pretty obvious that with each new subobject being rendered, you're slowing down the rendering of that ship. However, what's not as obvious is that while rendering huge numbers of polys might be a performance drain, it's a considerably bigger performance drain to render the same number of polygons if they're split over multiple subobjects.

What this means is that you have to carefully plan your detail box sizes and positions if you want to really benefit from them. You want as few of them to be visible at once as possible, but you want the ones that are visible to reveal a lot of detail without rendering stuff that's so far away that it becomes invisible anyway. How this is decided varies considerably based on the ship in question, but it comes down to: make them too big and you end up rendering a lot of detail you don't need to, effectively canceling a lot of the performance gained from the use of detail boxes in the first place, but make them too small and you'll end up having to display too many at once which could also cancel out the performance gain, and possibly add some more drain on top of that.

It's quite the balancing act really. ;)

Oh, I don't know what you're actually planning with destroyed meshes, but don't make destroyed meshes for anything that you wouldn't expect to be destroyable like for example, the dome things, turrets, engines etc. Otherwise it'll be a LOT of work for effects that are very rarely seen in game.
Go crazy with the debris mesh for sure - the results are very worth it, but destroyed subobject meshes that are there for nothing but the sake of having destroyable stuff on the hull just...isn't. :(

Anyway the ISD is still my all time favourite ship design ever and I have to say this one is looking great.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities