Author Topic: Critics, Critics....  (Read 6601 times)

Critics, Critics....
Check out out, most people like freespace 2, like gamespot.....

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/freespace2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs&tag=tabs;reviews

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6139782/index.html

Other people just don't get it....

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/freespace2/player_review.html?id=149436

Now I know people have differant opinions on this game, but I felt really offended (I guess if you can call it that) when he said how crappy he thought the story was. Sure, your a pilot in a navy that has to kill an unexpected alien race and all that crap, but it's much more then that. I personally thought that the story was the very best I ever heard out of any game I ever played, which is part of the reason freespace remains my favorite game today. Does anybody else agree with me?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 07:42:19 pm by haloboy100 »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Re: Critics, Critics....
The guy wants characters to talk to, that seems to be his main beef, which is why he later suggests grabbing a Wing Commander game.  I think its harsh to call the game soulless because it doesn't have characters, but if thats the kind of game you want, FS2 will not satisfy.  FS2's story is plot driven, which I prefer in an action game.

ah, well. guess he just wants some back story to the characters.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
Critics will be critics, and they all have different opinions.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

i just found it surprising that he would pick on the story in particular, knowing IMO it was the best part of the game.

EDIT: By the way FlyingBadger, you have already been fried, but i think we need a more proffesional welcome....

FlyingBadger,

Gunnery control, Beam-free-all. Commence plasma core insertion.

Gunnery control, open fire!!!
:welcome:
Click here too: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/welcome.html

Welcome to the HLP Station. Exits are located to the right, left, up, down, and 4th-dimensionally. However all of them are blocked by 260mm artillery, except the 4-d one, as no one's yet figured how to reach it. Needless to say, you will come and you won’t leave.  To your right you will see 90 Saths destroying the Capella star and blowing us to hell. In the event of a landing of any kind, you can and will be used as a flotation device. Do not feed the resident Shivan Carl as he will become voracious and chew your leg off. You can find him in the ventilation duct. Throw him your lunch and he'll leave you alone (usually). Flamethrowers can be found under your seat but due to financial constraints have been re-filled with holy water. Plasma rifles can be found in storage lockers. To prevent act of n00b, however, these can only be opened by Moderators, Volition, GOD and/or a hyperintelligent shade of BluE. Please remember that any attempt to use the ASCII characters 0046h, 0053h, and 0033h in sequential order will result in you being trampled by FreeSpace fan boys. If you go in the Vasudan section of the station and find a box labelled “Headz”, please don’t open it. Should you want to know, it looks something like :headz:. Don't try to enter the control room as it is guarded by subspatial claymore mines. Don't ask about FS3; it's not happening and we're not going to make it ourselves. Don't ask about Derek Smart. Don't listen to takashi. Read Karajorma's FAQ. The SCP is all that is good. Mention efF esS thr33 at your own peril. Thank you and enjoy your stay!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 06:48:19 pm by haloboy100 »
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
From what I can see, he's a big Wing Commander fanboy, so he may have just wanted to tout it's superiority in some fashion, which he did try to do.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Vretsu

Meh, people have different opinions. To each his own, and all that.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
The guy wants characters to talk to, that seems to be his main beef, which is why he later suggests grabbing a Wing Commander game.  I think its harsh to call the game soulless because it doesn't have characters, but if thats the kind of game you want, FS2 will not satisfy.  FS2's story is plot driven, which I prefer in an action game.

Plot-driven can also mean character-based. Just because wingmen come and go does not mean that there is no story, and even though huge events occur during the game, it does not mean that characters don't matter. Heck, Command has the most lines in the game, and the Colossus' captain is, IMO, the person in the game who is most of a character.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Yes, it's just that some of them are morons (okay most) so sometimes we feel the need to object.

no worries BlackDove, I agree with ya all the way  :yes:
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Vretsu

Yes, it's just that some of them are morons (okay most) so sometimes we feel the need to object.

Or they could just have a different paradigm than you. 

Just playing Devil's Advocate, really, though, because this guy is a complete idiot. :p

*joins in objecting*

*harrumphs loudly*

I will admit that the lack of characters was always a (Very) minor annoyance to me.  But everything else always more than made up for it. So did the user-made campaigns, such as derelict (with Mackie).

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
since when does war have characters?

Offline Dysko

since when does war have characters?
Well, you are supposed to know at least your squadmates...
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well at least it's not like some user reviews where the piechart has one side that says "PERFECT!!" and the other says "ABYSMAL." :doubt:

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Bah! But I agree on the Michael Bolton/Celine Dion part..

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
why get to know your wingmates when they all die in the first minute?

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.

-_-; The idea here is that your wingmates shouldn't all die in the first minute. If this is so, then there is a chance to build character relationships. In any of the books I've read, the protagonist isn't surrounded by teammates with the lifespan of a fly. In none of the stories I've heard. In none of the movies I've seen. Well, except for Mission Impossible.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
I bet this guy is one of those people who never read the Command Briefings or anything...

you are well aware that eventually you will have to watch your new friend die and you further know you will ultimately have to save the universe from destruction. The standard, “win one for the Gipper” plot.

What??? :confused:

They don't on the higher difficulty levels...

friend? WTF???

maybe he was talking about the colossus?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.