Author Topic: Destroy rap  (Read 13611 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
When's the last time you analyzed a song? And is it subjective? How do you know?

:rolleyes:

Oh now that is just ridiculous. When you actually ask a proper question I'll bother to answer it.

But while you persist in claiming that opinions aren't subjective despite the fact that that is implicit in the meaning of the words opinion and subjective then you're simply not worth the effort.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
TrashMan's just jealous because rap is more popular than metal.  :D
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Let's jsut get one thing straight....If I understodo this right, you firmly belive that music (each genre and as a whole) has no worth of it's own, but it's only us humans that give it worth.

Thus, if no humans existed to hear music, it wouldn't be worth jack s***..

Or does music eahc has it's own value, regardless of our own views of it. Now if it has such a value, you also firmly belive that no one can guess or come to that same value?

Oh well, I won't bother anymore then.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

If that question was answered, HLP would die.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
bunch of white boys all up in this thread

:rolleyes:
AWWW HEYLL NAWW!!!! :mad:

(mo'fukah)

:pimp::yes:

"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Let's jsut get one thing straight....If I understodo this right, you firmly belive that music (each genre and as a whole) has no worth of it's own, but it's only us humans that give it worth.

All art is subjective. How can it possibly have a value that is based on anything other that whether someone admires it in some way?

When you can have a computer say a piece of art is good or not using a definable algorithm then you can try telling me that it has an objective value.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Kinda looks like the 'Victims of Agincourt' yearly get-together.....

'They broke my 'ands they did sah, made sure I wouldn't be firing me bows at 'em anymore. Cut my mates fingers right orf!'

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
[horrid french accent]  Silly English Longbowmen, feche la pruning shears  [/horrid french accent]
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
All art is subjective. How can it possibly have a value that is based on anything other that whether someone admires it in some way?

When you can have a computer say a piece of art is good or not using a definable algorithm then you can try telling me that it has an objective value.

What about engineering?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
What about it?

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

That's like saying if a tree fell in the woods and nobody was around to hear it, would it make a sound? If no humans existed to hear music, there wouldn't be any music. Music is created by humans!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
We're talking hypothesis here.

Let's just assume music exist without humans....My question it - does it have worth even if you (or no human) are not there to hear it?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The big difference between this and games like Grand Theft Auto is that people actually do copy lots of things from rap. The proof? Just look around the freshman dorm in a mediocre university or your typical high school.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
We're talking hypothesis here.

Let's just assume music exist without humans....My question it - does it have worth even if you (or no human) are not there to hear it?
Technically, practically any sound can be considered music just as any object can be considered art. Both terms are intrinsically human concepts, based upon the value a human being imbues upon the sound or object. Without anyone to imbue meaning upon a given sound, it remains just that; sound.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

How would you assign a worth to a piece of music no one will ever hear? Seriously? You keep dodging the issue and asking questions back. You're the one who is claiming that music has some intrinsic worth, separate from the opinions of the listener. I've never heard anyone claim anything like that before.

The onus is on you to prove that your theory is correct.

So I ask again. How do you quantify the value of a piece of music that no one will ever hear?

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Does it?

That's a totaly human-centered way of thinking...the whole universe revoles around us...Yeah, right :rolleyes:

Do we assign to a "item" something it doesn't have or do we simply recognize (to some extent) something is allready poseses?

EDIT: I asked does it have a value (regardless of what it is, even if a unknown variable) not what it is. Obviously you cannot tell without hearing.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Trash, you're talking but you're not actually saying anything. You just keep asking questions back and basically babbling. Answer these questions: How do you assign worth to something that no one will hear? And how does this scale of worth qualify as objective?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
EDIT: Replying to Trashman, not UT

The thing is that music is not an item but a concept, and a rather abstract one. Furthermore it's a human-defined concept, so what we define as music or not is up to us.

Same goes for 'value', it's a concept defined by humans, and even worse, every person subjectively defines for themself what they declare as value/values.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea