Author Topic: New Ship WIP - The Hand  (Read 14178 times)

Offline maje

New Ship WIP - The Hand
The Hand of God finally makes it's low-poly 3D debut in my little WIP thread.  I began this at some point in the morning today and have more or less completed the ship.  A big thanks goes out to FUBAR-BDHR, who generously supplied some screen grabs from The Legend of the Rangers movie, To Live and Die in Starlight.

Now, like most of you here, I wasn't too up on the Rangers pilot, but I did think that some interesting concepts and ideas came about from it, and it's a pity that JMS never went anywhere with it, but maybe the Lost Tales will explore more about this race claiming to be more powerful than those who resided at Z'Ha'dum.  :doubt: :)

Anyways, this is the fruit of my current 3-4 hours of labour, taking a minor break from my Z-95 Headhunter for the Star Wars conversion (whose respective thread can be found here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50331.0.html  :p :D ).

Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: New Ship WIP - The Hand
Impressive work  :yes:
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Don't know if you could see this from the screen shots but some of the extensions coming out from the core of the ship articulate. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
I look forward to seeing this in action when it's complete
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Cool.how many polies?  :yes:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Very pretty.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Its a crab :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Silly boy. It's a snowflake.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline -Norbert-

Isn't that ship supposed to have a hole in the middle, were this red glowing thing was, or am I mixing this up with something else here?

Offline maje

I'm not sure if it's an actual hole that punctures through one side of the hole or the other as we never see a Hand ship with the glow off.  I did go back and make the recess deeper though, so it should be more visible.  I'll probably start work on this again after the Z-95 is textured. (UVs are done now, God I hate unwrapping those.

Btw, what kind of method was involved for texturing the Shadow vessels?  Did you guys actually go nuts with the UV placement or just kind of hit automap (maya's version of Box in Max) and create a tileable texture from a procedural?

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Thats the most beautiful/terrifying snowflake of death I've seen.  Awesome work!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Brilliant... it will look even more impresive in game! :yes:
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Do I see snowing?
Nice sno... erm ship.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Where are you from? I come from Colorado WHERE WE ACTUALLY HAVE SNOW, and that looks nothing like snowjust kidding

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
He said snowflake. While snowflakes have a 6-fold symmetry and this ship only has 5-fold symmetry, it still looks very much like a snowflake.

I'm from Switzerland, we have plenty of snow, therefore I AR EXPERT!
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Okay Colonel, I was just kidding. May I direct your attention to the small text at the end of my post...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:) Eh? I don't mind it's cool i know not a lot about B5 since it was on telly in the uk on channel 4 back in the mid 90's  :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline tomcat

• Dark Lord of Truespace

Dude... you Britons never seen snow ... maybe that miserable rain ;)
Truespace is the path of the Dark Side
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Truespace Master Tomcat

Offline maje

So, here we go, update time.  Sorry it took nearly a month to get back to this.  It took about another few hours of playing around in Max to get the right procedurals going and then to figure out how volume lights work (which is different than from what I remember using Maya; either way I'm not a lighting person). :( :p ;)

Well, here are the piccies.

Holy Crap! :yes:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-