Author Topic: Home One capital cruiser - WIP  (Read 11041 times)

Offline Snaga

Home One capital cruiser - WIP
I am about to begin the home one cruiser, but I´m short on reference pictures. I was hoping anyone here could give me a hand on that.

EDIT: I´m still in need of some ref pics from the lower part of the ship with more detail.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:31:46 am by Snaga »

Offline maje

Re: Need references to the Home One cruiser
Try the Star Wars Technical Commentaries at theforce.net.  They have an entire section dedicated to Warships of the Mon Calamari.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Need references to the Home One cruiser
I sent you a PM with some, and there should be more there than there were before.  Some are pretty detailed, nothing too terribly up close though like for the liberty.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Snaga

Re: Home One capital cruiser - WIP
Some weeks ago I begun work on the Home One cruiser. Here´s how it´s going. I must admit that this time It´ll take me more time than with the Liberty, specially because I´ve been in touch with Vasudan Admiral on some advice I asked him for, and the recommendations he stated will take me some time to do and learn.

Maje, just recently I read the post where you stated your intention on modeling this ship, so I never said anything ´cause I didn´t know. But in case I can´t go on, I could give whatever I have to that time and let you continue the work.

As always, constructive comments are always welcome.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah he did mention that, I had forgot as well or I'd have said something, but it was back in November.  He mentioned a few he was considering though, so I'm guessing he went on with another one.  I'd prefer all the Mon Cals be done similarly anyway, to keep a consistent look between them.  Glad to hear you picked up some pointers from VA, he's good at what he does and knows how to model in a way that makes it easier on every other step down the line.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline maje

By all means, model the Home One.  With the amount of progress I've been making trying to get stuff in-game without the pof-exporter for Max 8 throwing a hissy fit, it'll be whenever.

I had thought about doing the Lulsla again seeing how that was the first real starship I modeled back in my X-wing Alliance Upgrade days, but I'm game if you want to do that.

Besides, I plan on redoing the ships I've got so I can do a proper normal map generation with a higher quality texturing job, probably starting with either the Rebel Transport or fixing the Nebulon-B Frigate as those are the priority 1 ships.  At this point, I've all but given up trying to figure out why the Pof exporter keeps crashing when I try to export the Hand Brittlestar beyond the first LOD.  That and the stupid animated texture doesn't animate.  :hopping: :mad: :mad2: :ick: :(

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Hold on, are you Admiral Andy ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline maje

Hold on, are you Admiral Andy ?

maybe.  :p :D

it is not  her

Offline maje

eh, I'm a guy.  Not sure what would make you think otherwise, and yeah I am indeed Admiral Andy from the XWAU.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to his poor english, for all I know, he might have meant "is" instead of "is not" and "him" instead of "her".

i hope its finished

Offline Snaga

Ok, after a long delay, (mainly due to lack of time), I resumed work on the home one. I had to re touch the model because it was full of errors, and now I have something to post on it´s progress. I still have a lot to do, but I´ll see what I can do to make it on time for July. I took these pics while trying the model on PCS to look for more errors, that´s why the colors for the textures, so don´t take those as the final ones.
Enjoy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Snaga

Ohh, I forgot to say, I´m currently on 12K polys, and I expect that it´ll be in the end up to 30-40 K.

One last pic to show how much I´m missing yet, (besides the greebles and the little detail).

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It appears to be taking shape.  Don't rush this one though, I'd like to have a capship soon but one this large and iconic should have attention paid to the details.  So far, I like it, except the nose seems a bit too pointy.  I know it's a little less blunt than the liberty but that looks almost like you could stab with it, whereas the few refs I have don't quite appear that way.

Oh, and glad to have you around again :)

Offline Snaga

Chief, you were right, it was a bit pointy, so I rounded it up a bit. Hope it´s better now, also I´m still adding pods, (almost as tedious as greebling), and some minor detail that can´t be seen yet. Most importantly, I exported the mesh to blender and smoothed it. Now I´ll be trying to keep working on blender, so I´ll be even slower with this model, but I think it´ll be worth it.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Wow, definitely impressive.  I think the Blender move is a good choice and will be worth extra wait.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Blender FTW, Snaga FTW, Home 1 FTW.

Regarding the ref pictures that were posted, the second and third seem to have different dimensions. Or that could be perspective.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think it's the perspective.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
chief, did any of my ref shots get a close-up of that?  I forget now.  If so, you have them IIRC.