Author Topic: Hate Norton? Try Counterspy  (Read 3835 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Re: Hate Norton? Try Counterspy
Here I use Avast and AVG stuff, I used to use Ad-Aware but not anymore. Something about newer versions white listing certain spyware because the spyware companies threatened them, but my reason for not using it anymore isn't that... I just don't use it these days, that's all. Spybot is powerful but it sure isn't n00b-friendly; yes, on my previous computer it did kill every last bit of Internet advertising, but it wrecked something down the line that made a lot of the interactive stuff on websites completely unusable no matter what I did, even the MSN online games service where all those casual games are. And it still didn't kill the Messenger Service hijack I had at that time.

AVG Free for antivirus... Using both AVG and Avast, both are good but Avast at totally-paranoid maximum protection seriously slows down the entire system, and I have to turn off individual shields when I notice my posts (like this one) are taking so long to process. AVG's guard.exe can get annoying at times as well...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I have NAV 2007 on one machine and hate it.  The rest run AVG.  As for spyware I run Spybot and Adaware but do not leave them memory resident.  Also run Hijackthis once and awhile.  Only think I ever come up with is the occasional tracking cookie.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
YOU are the best defense.  Watch what you download.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

QFT. You do that, your virus-free.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios

And that is why I've only ever gotten 2 viruses :P

Offline eliex

I'm so paranoid about system resources but I am getting Kapersky later this year.
 "Officially a good virus-scanner" so I'd recommend it.  :yes:

Only recently did I realize that McAfee ranked so badly in the Top Ten for this year.

Have a look at this. http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/]]http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/
Pricey though!  :D

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Then you enjoy haveing 60% of your system resources eaten. congrats.
I sure don't, but my dad won't let me get anything else. At least there's only 23 days to go until I get Kaspersky. (I know this because the ****ing "Renew Norton" popup just came up 3 times, it also likes to do this while playing games) I'd recommend Kaspersky or AVG because of what I've heard about them, although Kaspersky seems to be better overall and AVG is proliferated by it's free-ness.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Yeah, i've been wondering about kaspersky. I heard it's the best anti virus on the net.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Then you enjoy haveing 60% of your system resources eaten. congrats.
I sure don't, but my dad won't let me get anything else. At least there's only 23 days to go until I get Kaspersky. (I know this because the ****ing "Renew Norton" popup just came up 3 times, it also likes to do this while playing games) I'd recommend Kaspersky or AVG because of what I've heard about them, although Kaspersky seems to be better overall and AVG is proliferated by it's free-ness.

As i said, them or NOD32. NOD32 Is the best IIRC, but its not cheap

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
In coming back to this thread, I remembered another neat little gadget I use, Sandboxie.   If used on your internet browser, it creates a sandbox for your browser cache, which lets absolutely nothing out.  If you do pick up some virus surfing the web, it stays in the box.  I have it set so that whatever I download goes there too.  That way, I can dl a file, scan it, and if it's safe, move it into my system proper.  If it picks up something, I just have to empty the box, and it'll blast the virus in the sandbox. 

It's free, powerful, and only about 300kB.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Kaspersky :yes:

Used an older trial version of it that came with my current motherboard. Me likes.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I've been doing extensive reading, and Kaspersky and NOD32 are indeed the best, although either will set you back about the same as Norton or McAfee. Kaspersky is easier to use, but NOD32 has better detection rates (not by much). The defining feature of NOD32 is that it has an awesome heuristic engine (identifies viruses not in database) and it uses an almost nil memory footprint. I'm going with one or the other, probably NOD32.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I've been doing extensive reading, and Kaspersky and NOD32 are indeed the best, although either will set you back about the same as Norton or McAfee. Kaspersky is easier to use, but NOD32 has better detection rates (not by much). The defining feature of NOD32 is that it has an awesome heuristic engine (identifies viruses not in database) and it uses an almost nil memory footprint. I'm going with one or the other, probably NOD32.

:yes: