Poll

Do you own retail freespace cds and which ones?

Descent: Freespace TGW
123 (31.8%)
Silent threat
72 (18.6%)
Freespace 2
131 (33.9%)
I just used the installer
19 (4.9%)
Freespace has cds?
12 (3.1%)
Snuffleupagus
30 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Author Topic: how many people own legit freespace cds?  (Read 20756 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: how many people own legit freespace cds?
I have original CDs for both FS1 and 2, however I've managed to break CD1 for FS1.
The box has those stupid 5-way 'petal' things holding the CDs by the hole in the middle and it wouldn't let go of it and it snapped in half  :(

You have to like press down in the middle of them... and, if they give you a hard time, you need to, once you (successfully) get the CD out, break one of the petals so this doesn't happen.  :mad:

I despise those CD cases. Stupid things. Why couldn't they just keep to the basics? :mad: :hopping:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I have original CDs for both FS1 and 2, however I've managed to break CD1 for FS1.
The box has those stupid 5-way 'petal' things holding the CDs by the hole in the middle and it wouldn't let go of it and it snapped in half  :(
HERETIC!! BURN HIM BURN HIM!!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Could I have a pic of these petals? IDK what you're referring to, but I have an idea.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline tifi

• GTF Apollo Fan Club
I haven't got any intact examples remaining to show you :P, but imagine this:

being in the hole, and you're supposed to push the bit in the middle to release its vice-like hold on the disc.
Only it doesn't work very well  :doubt:

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Got my Freespace 2 Version, from a Gamemagazin...but it´s on CD... :D
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures

being in the hole, and you're supposed to push the bit in the middle to release its vice-like hold on the disc.
Oh, like certain PS2 games.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Correction: it doesn't work AT ALL.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Bahahaha.

I got all three... though i have two copies of Freespace 2... The Sci-Fi edition, disk 1 was scratched, so i went back and bought another one. Cost an arm and a leg, but i got 'em.

As for FS1 and Silent Threat, got 'em for my birthday years ago  :D

You make me cry.  Ever since disk 1 of my FS2 getting scratched (by my best friend, too! though I lack proof), I never got to buy another retail version...

Though I still own disks 2 and 3, as well as FS and Silent Threat.

[EDIT] Upon reading other posts, is it just me, or did EVERYONE scratch disk 1?  Wow, this is just heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
[V] for FS3!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Guys, the Disk / Game / DVD / Skip / Clean Dr device works.  Trust me, I own two.  ;) 

Offline Roanoke

Originally, I got FS1 and 2 on a Virgin "Red Label"  budget re-release. Later I got original, big box FS2 and FS1 Battle Pack (inc Silent Threat) off ebay for about £15 total. I've also got a D3 budget re-release.

I miss the old big-box games. Made 'em look special. Not like moderns or older console games with their titchy boxes/cases.

I got freespace one as some sort of bundle with a video card ages ago... Purchased Silent Threat from a thrift shop, but I no longer own it - I think it was destroyed. *sadface*

Once I saw the played the FS2 demo, I knew I had to have it. Looked everywhere, the best deal was ordering it from a video game conglomerate in England.  The only copy they had was a 'bundled' one as well, and they literally dug a 3cd package out of the back room, removed whatever was in it, and slapped a new label on it. I don't have any cover art, just a transparent case with three cds.  looking at it now, it looks like I bought it from a street ...ahem ...vendor. I can still see the original label under the new one "Smart Stens 1st Grade" and a product number.

I have products/discs 11164,11181, and 11182, apparently.

GB for teh win!
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
GB? Great Britain?

"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
i have all three retail games while i was in england along time ago, i think it was early 2000 i got them, so 7 years back and not a scratch has come to any of them. so far my accuracy has been above what my usual is in my entire freespace gaming career, above 80% for primary fire and 85% for secondary fire, typically killing 750 plus ships in the process and one of them is a Deimos from Deneb and the other is a Sathanas in Pegasi (im not sure). 
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I had to send FS2 back twice before I got a set that was readable and it was still scratched.  All 3 sets were factory sealed.  They look like someone ran sandpaper over them but still work.  Hard cardboard does not make a good CD sleeve. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
should of got a refund!. lucky though we have Turey to save your skin.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I knew that cookie had Goober written all over it as soon as I saw that post. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken