Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3244969 times)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over <number goes here> (posts)
im sick of web services that require you to own a cell phone to do anything. cell phones are horrible devices with their low baud rate human interfaces and the constantly smudged screens and the fact that you have to pay monthly fees to keep them working. id be ok with their existence if they didnt try to take over all the things on the internet. nuke all the things. :hopping: :mad: :banghead:

I wouldn't say that. I'm still using a Nokia 3310 (or 20, can't remember). And buy money cards to charge it up. For reference: That brick is pretty much as old as HLP. It does not even have color. Those things were and remain almost unbreakable, it's small, it's light and the battery holds for about two weeks. So that's at least half of your concerns out of the picture already. ;) (I completely agree to your point though, which is why I have been rebelling to get a new phone for such a long time. Going as it is, it'll probably never break unless I drop it onto a road and it gets rolled over by a car.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:26:44 am by Sarkoth »
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Lorric

im sick of web services that require you to own a cell phone to do anything. cell phones are horrible devices with their low baud rate human interfaces and the constantly smudged screens and the fact that you have to pay monthly fees to keep them working. id be ok with their existence if they didnt try to take over all the things on the internet. nuke all the things. :hopping: :mad: :banghead:

I wouldn't say that. I'm still using a Nokia 3310 (or 20, can't remember). And buy money cards to charge it up. For reference: That brick is pretty much as old as HLP. It does not even have color. Those things were and remain almost unbreakable, it's small, it's light and the battery holds for about two weeks. So that's at least half of your concerns out of the picture alrady. ;) (I completely agree to your point though, which is why I have been rebelling to get a new phone for such a long time. Going as it is, it'll probably never break unless I drop it onto a road and it gets rolled over by a car.
One more for the anti-smart-phone section of HLP! :)

(there was a thread not too long ago which turned into a debate about "dumb phones" vs smart phones. I'm with you! :))

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I don't even have one, where is my crown? :P

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

I wouldn't say that. I'm still using a Nokia 3310 (or 20, can't remember). And buy money cards to charge it up. For reference: That brick is pretty much as old as HLP. It does not even have color. Those things were and remain almost unbreakable, it's small, it's light and the battery holds for about two weeks. So that's at least half of your concerns out of the picture alrady. ;) (I completely agree to your point though, which is why I have been rebelling to get a new phone for such a long time. Going as it is, it'll probably never break unless I drop it onto a road and it gets rolled over by a car.

(there was a thread not too long ago which turned into a debate about "dumb phones" vs smart phones. I'm with you! :))

i wonder if im the only sob on this board to try to pipe bits over a cb radio. data rate was horrible but it worked. **** the fcc.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
heh, cool, x86 on an sd card:

http://hackaday.com/2014/01/07/intel-edison-a-desktop-from-1998-in-an-sd-card/

*reads comments*

also **** arm fanbois. arm is a nice processor, but the user base leaves something to be desired.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Six  pages to go.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
data rate was horrible but it worked. **** the fcc.

I totally read this wrong initially, and yet it didn't phase me given the fact it's Nuke
"No"

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline Hellzed

Today, I had to explain to foresters/lumberjacks why they became unemployable under the latest european tax policy (less taxes, freer market, less state grants...). Some of these people lost 3 or 5 years of their lives studying to work or working for forest products companies.
I don't have what it takes to do this job (and I'm still an intern).
Tonight, I'm getting drunk. Drunker than ever.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam

i wonder if im the only sob on this board to try to pipe bits over a cb radio. data rate was horrible but it worked. **** the fcc.

Grab a Technician class Ham/Amateur Radio Operator License, you'll be given access to some radio bands that allow up to 28Kbps, 96Kbps, or possibly greater. I haven't checked the band plan lately, so they might've made a GHz band open to operators too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:52:38 pm by z64555 »
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Today, I had to explain to foresters/lumberjacks why they became unemployable under the latest european tax policy (less taxes, freer market, less state grants...). Some of these people lost 3 or 5 years of their lives studying to work or working for forest products companies.
I don't have what it takes to do this job (and I'm still an intern).
Tonight, I'm getting drunk. Drunker than ever.

Well, don't leave us hanging.  Some of us know nothing about European tax policy and how it relates to forester employability.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris | My GitHub

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Grab a Technician class Ham/Amateur Radio Operator License, you'll be given access to some radio bands that allow up to 28Kbps, 96Kbps, or possibly greater. I haven't checked the band plan lately, so they might've made a GHz band open to operators too.

nah i have some sexy 1km/2mbit ism modules to play with. not sure the legality, but its not like i live anywhere near civilization. there are also single chip wifi solutions now for short range stuffs.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:02:39 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Primary fermentation for homemade mead should be done in a couple days, then transfer to another container leaving sediment behind and let secondary fermentation happen for 3+ months.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris | My GitHub

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam

nah i have some sexy 1km/2mbit ism modules to play with. not sure the legality, but its not like i live anywhere near civilization. there are also single chip wifi solutions now for short range stuffs.

Heh, that'll work, too. Alaska's radio spectra shouldn't be as cluttered like the rest of the continent is.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Heh, that'll work, too. Alaska's radio spectra shouldn't be as cluttered like the rest of the continent is.

Don't Xbox controls (wireless) box specs list Ghz level.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador

Somehow, that did hurt my brain. But I'm not even mad, it's amazing.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Don't Xbox controls (wireless) box specs list Ghz level.

360 controllers used 2.4ghz radios. new ones probibly the same. the wii-u used wifi for its controllers. lots of stuff is 2.4 ghz like bluetooth, wifi (sometimes also uses 5.8ghz), and many ism modules like the ones im using.

thats actually why i have such a low opinion of bluetooth. its fairly weak in terms of both range and throughput, its power consumption is high if you try to get any range or throughput out of it. its protocols and driver stacks are totally insane. the only time it really works is when those stacks are replaced with proprietary ones (like the ones game consoles use for their controllers). it is not completely cross compatible like usb is (usb hid and cdc classes for example will work on anything including some mcu dev boards). yes, its not wireless, but when you get to the application layer that is totally not relevant.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:04:09 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
currently trying to port hackvision asteroids to run on a $10 lcd i have lying around, rather than using tv out.

8-bit game programming is horrible. things like using unsigned char vectors is really playing havok. they are checking the overflow register to see if an astroid needs to be moved to the other side of the screen. this especially troublesome since the new screen has a 320x240 resolution. i had to change all those to ints (i have memory to play with now that i deleted that sw frame buffer). then get rid of the clever but unreadable overflow hack.

also the old bitmap code just paged bytes directly into the software framebuffer. since i have a hardware frame buffer (on the other side of a spi bus), and the lcd library im using doesn't have a page byte call. i have to place them one at a time with setPixel() which is slow. the display probibly supports one, but it wasnt added to the library (il have to check the datasheet for that one).

another thing, for every draw call there is another call to undraw what was drawn. this is really tedious. i tried commenting out the contents of the undraw function and blanking the screen each frame but this lead to annoying flickering. all in all this has been a fun project.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:27:30 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
returned to waterfront (read: real) work today.  will begin taking the watch next week sometime.  i don't want to be responsible for things.  :shaking:
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if you need anyone to babysit a nuclear reactor for you, i promise i wont breed any weapons grade isotopes (not without covering my tracks real good anyway).

Nuke's Scripting SVN