Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3244967 times)

Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over <number goes here> (posts)
Got back from Anime Los Angeles the other day.

Always nice to hang out with fellow complete and total nerds for a few days.

Also apparently Monty Oum was there, but I never saw him. Makes me sad.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam
@z64555: No, it's a permanent ban. Appeal is possible, but waiting it out is not (and I don't think my appeal has much chance of success). And additional information has come to light indicating they're on a "banning spree"; in a YouTube video I watched of someone playing on the server, an alert came up saying 13 people had been banned for the same reason ("bad fellowship") in the past 30 minutes, and to be respectful to other players. It's just a shame I didn't get the memo they were upping their standards/enforcement in time.

Oh ho, even better. Sounds like one (or more) of the admin's got tired of the "poor conduct" and is trying to cull the herd. The fact that they're not doing a warning or even a temp ban on such things tells me that they haven't thought this through. I'd try keep your behavior under wraps as they're going through this phase, especially if they're buddies with a couple of other servers. If we're lucky, the admin's will realize their mistake soonish and will process the appeals.

@jg18: Hope things get better for you. Might it be your eye's loosing focus of your target, like one of them looking slightly off-center? My eyes get like that time to time, I can't tell if it's from me staring at a screen for too long or just staying indoors too long. :blah:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I got my old job back today. I start in a few weeks. Better than.being unemployed, but I much preferred the job I had most recently. Much more interesting, more responsibility, more time at home. Oh well - the new(old) job will give me more time to study, so that's something. If everything goes well, I should be able to get my masters next year, quicker than anticipated. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
turns out 10 hour work days shipboard aren't that bad.  i just REALLY ****ing hate first shift, for which i have to set my alarm for 4 AM.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Finally got my ass out to see The Hobbit 2: Dwarven Boogaloo.  Smaug is ****ing amazing.

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
Nice, I'm going to Kawa in a few weeks. To be honest, I'm nervous since I think that I've bitten off more than I can chew. I am hosting four different panels. I am set for three of them, but I seriously need help with the fourth panel. It seemed like a good idea when I mailed in the sign-up sheet, but now that it's rapidly approaching, I don't know if I can host a real life roleplaying event.

Offline Lorric

Nice, I'm going to Kawa in a few weeks. To be honest, I'm nervous since I think that I've bitten off more than I can chew. I am hosting four different panels. I am set for three of them, but I seriously need help with the fourth panel. It seemed like a good idea when I mailed in the sign-up sheet, but now that it's rapidly approaching, I don't know if I can host a real life roleplaying event.
Are there forums for this sort of thing? Maybe you could join one and request help. Or somewhere with roleplayers/cosplayers or something, and ask them if they have experience of hosting or participating in such a thing.

Offline Nakura

• Zombie Heinlein
    • Rebecca Chambers Fan Club
Are there forums for this sort of thing? Maybe you could join one and request help. Or somewhere with roleplayers/cosplayers or something, and ask them if they have experience of hosting or participating in such a thing.
I thought about doing something like that, but it's such short notice. I sent a cancellation e-mail to the panel chairman about 5 minutes ago. If he doesn't accept the cancellation, I will do as you suggested. Thanks, Lorric.

Offline Lorric

I thought about doing something like that, but it's such short notice. I sent a cancellation e-mail to the panel chairman about 5 minutes ago. If he doesn't accept the cancellation, I will do as you suggested. Thanks, Lorric.
You're welcome.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
kitten discovers cheese today. its only a matter of time till she discovers burger, and she doesn't even weigh 2 pounds yet. they grow up so fast.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:37:46 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

kitten discovers cheese today. its only a matter of time till she discovers burger, and she doesn't even weigh 2 pounds yet. they grow up so fast.
Oh gods what have you done? You've DOOMED us all !!! It all starts with hazing cheeseburger, but it is bound to end up with can haz NUKES (which I suspect you've got at home).

Na, Nuke doesn't actually have nuclear devices.  He's too lazy to actually go out and acquire black market uranium, for which the entire world is grateful. :lol:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i do have a kitten though, which is by far more dangerous.

and besides im trying to figure out how to have a fusion device without a fission primary. deuterium is easy to make. im sure nuclear policy makers will love it when someone pulls that off.

hi nsa!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:41:15 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Continuing the "jg18's vision went down the tubes" saga (previous post)...

TLDR: There's still no improvement. The doc at UCSF doesn't know what the cause is, let alone when or even if it will get better.

There are still some test results pending and possibly even treatments worth trying in the absence of a diagnosis, but I get the sense we're running out of ideas. :blah:

There are some good signs,though, such as normal eyes (other than pre-existing nearsightedness etc.) and especially the normal brain MRI scan, since MRI is an extremely sensitive test.

Still, the numbers are not encouraging: when my vision was tested a few weeks ago with my glasses on, it was around 20/40 in the left eye and 20/70 in the right. When it was tested again this past week, it had dropped to 20/400 and 20/630, again with my glasses on. Not a good trend.

I can still use a computer (obviously) and even a smartphone, although very slowly using heavy magnification. I could probably even read books/magazines with a powerful magnifying glass that included a light, although it would also of course be slow.

But coding while in this state just isn't feasible. I told my boss a couple days ago that I couldn't work, so I'm now on unpaid medical leave. He's understanding and has said that I'll still have a job when (if?) I come back, so that's reassuring. It doesn't hurt that my benefits even include disability insurance.

Speaking of which, now that I've had this for several weeks, it feels less like a short-term medical problem and more like a long-term disability. I can still function except for being unable to work (kind of a problem :blah:), although many signs, labels, and screens are more or less illegible. I wonder if this is how it feels to be illiterate. EDIT: On top of that, most movies and TV shows are pretty much unintelligible, and almost all games are unplayable.

The only day-to-day thing that's really scary is crossing intersections. I usually can't tell whether the sign says walk or don't walk, even the sign on my side. If there's no pedestrian/motorist traffic around to help, then it's kind of a roll of a dice. :shaking: That's only happened once or twice, but still. It's easier to see the light at night, but it's also easy to confuse it with the other light sources around it.

It's entirely possible that one day soon I'll wake up and it'll be better or at least mostly better. It's also possible although maybe less likely that I'll wake up and it'll be much worse, maybe even near-blindness. Incremental changes are much harder to tell, although I did have the sense in early January that it was getting worse, as much as my parents wanted me to tell them it was getting better.

I try not to let it all get to me, but of course it does sometimes. If it doesn't get better, that would end my programming career. I will say that if/when it does get better, I'll never think of people with disabilities the same way again.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:46:12 am by jg18 »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Hang in there man. :( At least it's good news that there don't seem to be any physical issues with your eyes themselves, or with your MRI, though I'd imagine that probably makes the diagnosis more challenging.  I know it's a big step above simple text, but I'd imagine there have to be accessibility solutions out there that would enable you to continue programming, if it came to that.  Hopefully you get this figured out soon.  (Seriously, where's House when you need him...)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I can't get an e-coupon for a 10% discount to work.  :mad:

EDIT: Done. 91€ for a round trip, not bad at all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:32:09 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

TLDR: There's still no improvement. The doc at UCSF doesn't know what the cause is, let alone when or even if it will get better.

There are still some test results pending and possibly even treatments worth trying in the absence of a diagnosis, but I get the sense we're running out of ideas. :blah:

There are some good signs,though, such as normal eyes (other than pre-existing nearsightedness etc.) and especially the normal brain MRI scan, since MRI is an extremely sensitive test.

Still, the numbers are not encouraging: when my vision was tested a few weeks ago with my glasses on, it was around 20/40 in the left eye and 20/70 in the right. When it was tested again this past week, it had dropped to 20/400 and 20/630, again with my glasses on. Not a good trend.

I can still use a computer (obviously) and even a smartphone, although very slowly using heavy magnification. I could probably even read books/magazines with a powerful magnifying glass that included a light, although it would also of course be slow.

But coding while in this state just isn't feasible. I told my boss a couple days ago that I couldn't work, so I'm now on unpaid medical leave. He's understanding and has said that I'll still have a job when (if?) I come back, so that's reassuring. It doesn't hurt that my benefits even include disability insurance.

Speaking of which, now that I've had this for several weeks, it feels less like a short-term medical problem and more like a long-term disability. I can still function except for being unable to work (kind of a problem :blah:), although many signs, labels, and screens are more or less illegible. I wonder if this is how it feels to be illiterate. EDIT: On top of that, most movies and TV shows are pretty much unintelligible, and almost all games are unplayable.

The only day-to-day thing that's really scary is crossing intersections. I usually can't tell whether the sign says walk or don't walk, even the sign on my side. If there's no pedestrian/motorist traffic around to help, then it's kind of a roll of a dice. :shaking: That's only happened once or twice, but still. It's easier to see the light at night, but it's also easy to confuse it with the other light sources around it.

It's entirely possible that one day soon I'll wake up and it'll be better or at least mostly better. It's also possible although maybe less likely that I'll wake up and it'll be much worse, maybe even near-blindness. Incremental changes are much harder to tell, although I did have the sense in early January that it was getting worse, as much as my parents wanted me to tell them it was getting better.

I try not to let it all get to me, but of course it does sometimes. If it doesn't get better, that would end my programming career. I will say that if/when it does get better, I'll never think of people with disabilities the same way again.

This is ****ing awful. I've got my fingers crossed that the doctors will come up with something... I know a lot of blind or functionally blind people who are happy and safe, but they've been that way for a long time. Making the transition into that kind of disability - yeesh.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
jg18: dude that ****ing sucks. do you think lasic eye surgery might help?

In other news I now have a profile on OkCupid and Badoo. I really hope this online dating thing works out for me.

Offline Lorric

I feel so sorry for you. Your last line especially got to me. I hope you do get better and this is a valuable learning experience for you in that respect, along with the whole "don't take things for granted" thing.