Author Topic: Trojans  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Are lagging my comp, and AVG can't seem to do **** about the downloading which I can't quite seem to locate.. it deletes them every 10 minutes or so, but i'm sure it's missing some, seems as how my version is a bit out of date... any ideas on what I can do?

Offline Davros

update it then...
get hijackthis create a log and post it here

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Buy a better brand of condom.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
:wtf:

Update it. AVG Free is now version 8.0
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
:wtf:

Update it. AVG Free is now version 8.0

8.0 is free?  :snipe:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
If you don't have an infection that prevents you from installing another AV program, I would try avast!  Fully update it, then run a boot time scan.  It will preempt the loading of any and all programs (including most of the OS), allowing you to detect the malware before it can stealth itself.  That should enable you to clean out all of the stuff. 

Couple of things though:  The boot time scan won't work under 64 bit OSes, so if you have one, this won't work for you.  Also, if you start detecting system files that are infected, leave them alone, stop the scan, and start backing stuff up.  The only effective way to treat it now is a reformat.  And if you detect a rootkit, God help you.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Strangely I had the same thought :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
If you don't have an infection that prevents you from installing another AV program, I would try avast!  Fully update it, then run a boot time scan.  It will preempt the loading of any and all programs (including most of the OS), allowing you to detect the malware before it can stealth itself.  That should enable you to clean out all of the stuff. 

Couple of things though:  The boot time scan won't work under 64 bit OSes, so if you have one, this won't work for you.  Also, if you start detecting system files that are infected, leave them alone, stop the scan, and start backing stuff up.  The only effective way to treat it now is a reformat.  And if you detect a rootkit, God help you.

From what i've heard, Avast is quite ****ty... no offense, but in this sort of situation I tend to listen to the majority  :blah:

Offline Tyrian

From what i've heard, Avast is quite ****ty... no offense, but in this sort of situation I tend to listen to the majority  :blah:

I've had avast! pull things off my system that both Norton and Panda Platinum have missed.  Where did you come across that claim? :wtf:

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

I've had avast! pull things off my system that both Norton and Panda Platinum have missed.  Where did you come across that claim? :wtf:

I hope you realize you just compared it to two of the worst AVs around...

Offline Tyrian

Yes, I know.  But you still haven't answered my prior question.

EDIT:  I fix people's machines as a side job.  I stated those two programs, because they are the ones that people tend to swear by.  When they see it sweep out things that Norton, Panda, and McAfee missed, they tend to take notice.  Plus, I've spoken with a professional tech and he agrees with me that avast! is a very effective program...I'm just curious as to where your differing opinion comes from.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:44:33 pm by Tyrian »

Sig rising...

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Yes, I know.  But you still haven't answered my prior question.

EDIT:  I fix people's machines as a side job.  I stated those two programs, because they are the ones that people tend to swear by.  When they see it sweep out things that Norton, Panda, and McAfee missed, they tend to take notice.  Plus, I've spoken with a professional tech and he agrees with me that avast! is a very effective program...I'm just curious as to where your differing opinion comes from.

Most of the more respected people on HLP?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I used to have a multi layered AV. AVG and avast! and one other freebie av.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I finally fixed my problem... the trojan downloader was hiding in my system restore so AVG couldn't delete it...  :rolleyes:

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Personally I prefer avast! over any other AV out there, including AVG.

I used to have a multi layered AV. AVG and avast! and one other freebie av.
Do you know that having multiple AV's installed at the same time more than likely leads to conflicts where none of the AV's are able to function properly? Only use one AV at any given time.

It is now.

Doesn't the email scanner work for 30days then stop functioning?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I finally fixed my problem... the trojan downloader was hiding in my system restore so AVG couldn't delete it...  :rolleyes:

Every anti-virus I've ever used to try to remove anything from someones computer always has turn off system restore as the first instruction.  I don't think any of them can delete stuff from there if it's on.  Seems like everything can get in there easy enough though. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
if nothing else works you can always use combofix, (asumes your using the evil overlords operating system)

heres a bit of info about combofix........................;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

prays for your infected soul

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."