Author Topic: Mars soil can support life  (Read 7427 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Mars soil can support life
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7477310.stm

Martian soil appears to contain sufficient nutrients to support life - or, at least, asparagus - Nasa scientists believe.

Preliminary analysis by the $420m (£210m) Phoenix Mars Lander mission on the planet's soil found it to be much more alkaline than expected.

Scientists working on the spacecraft project said they were "flabbergasted" by the discovery.

The find has raised hopes conditions on Mars may be favourable for life.

"We basically have found what appears to be the requirements, the nutrients, to support life, whether past, present or future," said Sam Kounaves, the project's lead chemist, from the University of Arizona.

Why wasn't this posted earlier? This is one of the most important discoveries related to mars.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Re: Mars soil can support life
Now if only my backyard can do the same  :sigh:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
... Starsiege, here we come.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Sweet. Can't wait 'til we're landing missions on mars to grow Asparagus...

...and then the Asparagus will take over, grow all over the planet, and wipe out any evidence or existence of indigent life on the planet, just like in Isaac Asimov's Elijah Baley mysteries.
-C

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Asparagus and Brocoli are originally from another planet and were imported by aliens many thousands of years ago
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Asparagus and Brocoli are originally from another planet and were imported by aliens many thousands of years ago

Friggin' Mercora...
-C

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Friggin' Mercora...
I'm glad the Animorphs blew them off the face of the Earth.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
... Starsiege, here we come.

I hearby dub you "Duster"
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
Reminds me of INFA....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7477310.stm

Martian soil appears to contain sufficient nutrients to support life - or, at least, asparagus - Nasa scientists believe.

Preliminary analysis by the $420m (£210m) Phoenix Mars Lander mission on the planet's soil found it to be much more alkaline than expected.

Scientists working on the spacecraft project said they were "flabbergasted" by the discovery.

The find has raised hopes conditions on Mars may be favourable for life.

"We basically have found what appears to be the requirements, the nutrients, to support life, whether past, present or future," said Sam Kounaves, the project's lead chemist, from the University of Arizona.

Why wasn't this posted earlier? This is one of the most important discoveries related to mars.

$420m to buld that space thing? Man....just imagine just building the spacecraft needed to TRANSPORT the Asparagus seed to Mars. :doubt:

Alkali? Oh I see....so basically we should add Martian Soil into our bleaching agents, washing agents etc.

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
You know, don't you find it odd, with rich soil, and all that Co2 that theres not one blade of grass up there?  :wtf:
And since mars once had liquid water, it almost certainly once supported life...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Wasn't there a recent theory about a huge impact on mars?  If so maybe it destroyed the atmosphere and covered all eveidence of life under dust.  Without the necessary atmosphere what life remains just hasn't adapted enough to return to the surface. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
That's the stupiest theory i've ever heard. By that same theory we shouldn't be here right now  :doubt:

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Friggin' Mercora...
I'm glad the Animorphs blew them off the face of the Earth.

Nice to see im not the only Animorphs fan on HLP....

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
That's the stupiest theory i've ever heard. By that same theory we shouldn't be here right now  :doubt:

The dinosaurs aren't and Earth still has it's atmosphere and liquid water.  It may have been easier for life to adapt to underground conditions then return to the surface. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Oh man, I remember that Animorphs stuff. Good times, those were...

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Hell yes...

Silly idea for a FS mod that will NEVER be made:
If we can get it together and draw some consistant concept art and find some capable modelers, then we could make an Animorphs TC...

But that will NEVER happen...EVER

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Fenrir

• ?
I`d play it...

But it won`t happen.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
It just one of those things taht would be cool to play but will never happen

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Hell yes...

Silly idea for a FS mod that will NEVER be made:
If we can get it together and draw some consistant concept art and find some capable modelers, then we could make an Animorphs TC...

But that will NEVER happen...EVER

Jesus. Christ. I've kept my mouth shut, but GUYS. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO DO WITH FREESPACE 2!!!!! Jesus, it's like every thread I go into it's "That was an excellent movie, I applaud the director's vision" and five posts down it's "OMG IT WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER IF THE SHIVANS WERE IN IT LOL :drevil:!!!!". Just STOP. Goddamn.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Wasn't there a recent theory about a huge impact on mars?  If so maybe it destroyed the atmosphere and covered all eveidence of life under dust.  Without the necessary atmosphere what life remains just hasn't adapted enough to return to the surface. 

I think the most likely explanation  is that it's core became cold and just......stopped. This explains why mars' magnetic field is almost non-existent.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key