Author Topic: The Destroyers (Render)  (Read 13481 times)

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
you know last i heard hes still living only about 20 miles from where i live =) and i have a autographed copy of consider phlebas acession and look to windward

shrike where you live?
ARGHHH

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Canadia. ;)
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
wonder why its difficult to get his books over there - i figured books were all published pretty much world wide
ARGHHH

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
LtW was easy to find, but most of the copies back home are imported from britland, sooooo........
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
You're going to have to lend me those when I get out there :D

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
All I have is LtW....... my copy of Excession vanished, and I haven't seen any of the others for sale, except for Use of Weapons, and I didn't have the cash at the time.  :(

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Im reading consider phlebas at the moment -

i find some part quite hard to understand, compared to Player of Games.

The conversations and action sequences in particular are rather chaotic and hard to make sense of fom the text.

However - i like some of Banks' thinking, although maybe it's set so far in the future its hard to feel connected unless you really concentrate.

My 2 quids :p

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
believe me if any of them is confusing its the use of weapons and i dont think its a culture novel either really - the link is very tenious and its got a strange ending but myabe thats just me but anyway nevermind and i haven't read against a dark background yet but i have and will read it when i next feel like another sci fi novel anyway anyway wonder if there is another culture novel on the way and if you cant get them try on amazon and if not there try amazon.co.uk they will send them over since i got books from american amazon =)
ARGHHH

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Shrike
GE probably couldn't take the GTVA.

Oh yeah?! :drevil:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline wEvil

YEA.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Just a note on SW vs. FS shields- FS (fighter) shields don't need additional shield generators or anything. That's how we could put them on the Apollo. With the more efficient shields, the Empire's TIES would wreak havoc. Still, the Shivans would slaughter everything.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline wEvil

The ships do require shield generators.

Its just maybe the shields were efficcient enough not to neccesitate a complete overhaul of the power grid.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Okay, but the fact remains: Shielded TIEs.

Another thing: SW seems to have much more superengineering capacity than FS. I mean, look: it took the GTVA twenty years to build the Colossus. It took the Empire around ten to build the Death Star.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2002, 03:27:33 pm by 510 »

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
by all reports it took them at most 2 to get the second death star operational
ARGHHH

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yeah, but the empire is much larher than the GTVA, and has more resources available obviously.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Empire would win, cos it controls a whole galaxy....long live the Empire!
Got Ether?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Originally posted by Zeronet
Empire would win, cos it controls a whole galaxy....long live the Empire!

Don't you mean Long Live the Emperor?

*bzzzzzt snap crackle pop*

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Shrike
Well, considering that Culture ships routinely blast targets in real space from hyperspace (or vice-versa) I think they could handle Xeelee ships.  Plus they have Lineguns if all else fails, which are gravity guns like Starbreakers.

Gridfire is the 'energy of the end of the universe'.  Basically, think of opening a hole allowing the (effectively infinite) energy between universes (the Energy Grid) to spray out into real space.  Kind of like using a firehose on a sandcastle, assuming that the firehose is actually a gridfire incursion and the sandcastle is a target, like say....... a planet. ;)

And they're by Ian M. Banks.  If you're in NA, they might be hard to find.  But I recommend them, they're cool books. :D

I don't think the Energy Grid exists in the Xeelee (our) milieu. As the two sound like they have the same basic control over baryonic matter, I'd say the battle goes to the ones with the hometurf advantage.

That said, you never answered if the Culture ever built its own Universe to specification. ;)

I shall seek these books when my current preload of novels is consumed. As there is only fifteen or twenty, I'll probably start looking in April, May at the latest. Are they all in print in Britain, Australia or Canada? I've got access to bookstores in all three, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to get them, I think.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Looking at GE's render of the SSD and the Sath...
Two words: BFRed and shields.
Who wins? I don't know. Because the SSD has shields but to quote someone I don't remember, it has "piddly laser things" (but a lot of them!). On the other hand, the Sath has no shields but four very large BFReds!
And then there are the TIEs and Shivan fighters...
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
well to a certain extent they have created there own universes within every mind(computer)  they have to maintiny there conciousness outside of the the real universe so they aren't limited to speed of light computations so in effect yes they create there own universes but small ones
ARGHHH