Author Topic: THE EARTH IS GROWING! (Conspiracy theory)  (Read 3740 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: THE EARTH IS GROWING! (Conspiracy theory)
Picking up cosmic dust?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Earth is growing at a rate of a millimeter per 10,000 years.

I call [citation needed] on that one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline iamzack

This sounds very familiar somehow.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Daniel P

• CEO Of Dan Tech

This sounds very familiar somehow.

I got it out on some book I read years ago.
Modding Freespace 1 and 2 seance 2005.

Offline watsisname

Meteorites.  The solar system never truely stops forming.

But anyway, even if that "growing earth theory" were true, what's the point to it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:09:02 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, well, but most of them burn up in atmosphere, most of the resulting dust either stays in the Atmosphere or rains into the Oceans. For this stuff to affect a planetary body with a radius of ~6400km, there would have to be rather more of it than we are seeing, I believe. Plus, estimates on that scale (a millimeter per 10000 Years?) are far too small to be accurate, really. (Makes me wonder how they arrived at that conclusion in the first place)

Offline watsisname

It's not measured (there's no way in hell to do so), so it's calculated.  The average rate of material hitting Earth can be figured to some degree of accuracy from observations of meteor showers, bollides, and impact craters from the past.  Figure the volume of that material and then compare with the volume of the Earth.  It'll be a ridiculously small number, but it's still a number.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Given a millimeter every 10000 years, and the fact that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old, this comes out to:

45000000000/10000 = 4500000 mm, or 4500 meters, or 4.5 kilometers. Given a current radius of 6400 km and the volume of a sphere being 4/3(pi)r3, we get an initial volume of 1095751614231813000000, and a final volume of 1098066219443523500000, which is a difference of 2314605211710521300, or 0.2% of the earth's total volume.

Put more simply, 4.5 km is a 0.07% change in the earth's diameter over 4.5 BILLION years.

It doesn't f-cking matter

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Worse still, it only takes a few really potent volcanic eruptions to balance out the difference.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Worse still, it only takes a few really potent volcanic eruptions to balance out the difference.
Not to mention all the material that makes up the satellites, probes, and other junk we've shot into orbit. An amount far too small to even bother calculating, but that's still mass that has been completely subtracted from the Earth.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
until their orbits decay
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
until their orbits decay
Well, yeah. But then you've got things like Voyager probes. We ain't getting those back any time soon, what with the Klingons blowing one up and the other falling into a black hole and merging with a super-advanced  race of sentient machines.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Not to mention the junk we've left laying around on the moon and Mars, it's all tiny, but it all adds up, in fact, no longer being a closed loop is one of the major resource concerns about colonizing other planets, hence all the experimentation with building and growing things in space. The first priority of any colony would be to become self-sufficient.

Edit: Oh, and he forgot Ice Ages.
And I love the way Antarctica jigs around and changes direction twice in order to avoid hitting South America ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:42:28 am by Flipside »

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
From now on, anything that I consider idiotic will get a reference to this "conspiracy" theory. :lol:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
One thing I will say is that when the Earth reached its smallest size, the first though that crossed my mind was 'a little bit bigger and that would make a good planet for the MediaVPs' :nervous:

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Dear Sara,

I don't really know how to tell you this, I’m joining the Convent. I think I realized it When i threw out your sock drawer at the mental hospital and I saw you hit on my other girlfriend. I'm sure you're open enough to understand that your driving sucks. I'm returning the couch cushions to you, but I'll keep your car as a memory. You should also know that I told in my confession today about the moose poaching and you ruined my attempts at another world war.

Please don’t hurt me,
Thomas

:rolleyes:
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
We probably lost way more mass via impact ejecta during early formation than we ever have or probably ever will put into space (especially if you count the moon, which the most accepted current theory states is just a big chunk of ex-earth), but of course, that was all more than balanced by the massively increased additions that those impacts were causing back then vs. now.

But anyway, even if that "growing earth theory" were true, what's the point to it?

Well, if it was correct (it isn't), then we'd need to totally redefine our understanding of tectonics, which has been the defining broad geological theory of the past half century, and has explained pretty much everything about the gross formation of the earth. Granted, there are still a few areas that don't quite add up (mantle plumes and hotspots being the big ones AFAIK) but they really just require slight refinements of the theory to fit that we're yet to properly confirm.

But, as i say, it's not true. We had the epanding eartn theory explained to us in second year as a sort of humorous aside - it's quite literally a joke in the broader geological community. As has been explained, you can pretty much puncture it with subduction zones.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
We probably lost way more mass via impact ejecta during early formation than we ever have or probably ever will put into space (especially if you count the moon, which the most accepted current theory states is just a big chunk of ex-earth), but of course, that was all more than balanced by the massively increased additions that those impacts were causing back then vs. now.

Well, if it was correct (it isn't), then we'd need to totally redefine our understanding of tectonics, which has been the defining broad geological theory of the past half century, and has explained pretty much everything about the gross formation of the earth. Granted, there are still a few areas that don't quite add up (mantle plumes and hotspots being the big ones AFAIK) but they really just require slight refinements of the theory to fit that we're yet to properly confirm.

But, as i say, it's not true. We had the epanding eartn theory explained to us in second year as a sort of humorous aside - it's quite literally a joke in the broader geological community. As has been explained, you can pretty much puncture it with subduction zones.
Which theory exactly says that the moon was a part of the earth? To me it seems very unlikely--to have a satellite so large, so stable, and so close all at the same time. Listening to theories and all, it makes most sense to me (who isn't a physicist or anything) that a collision occurred and the big stable and close moon was the remnants, perhaps of that other planet's core. Then again, there's intelligent life on Earth, so using that as a comparison, I suppose a microplanet could, by freak occurance, be trapped as our satellite.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One of these? Especially the "giant impact"-Hypothesis.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
In a nutshell, the idea is that way back when (as in, after the ball of rubble phase, but probably not too long after) while the earth was still heating up and the solar system was still full of junk, something roughly the size of mars collided with the earth, and pretty much ****ed the earth's **** right up, knocking off the debris that would eventually form the moon.

[EDIT]Yeah, beaten to it. Giant impact is the proper name.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp