Author Topic: On the extremely unoriginal usage of the SD Ravana in custom campaigns...  (Read 20042 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: On the extremely unoriginal usage of the SD Ravana in custom campaigns...
:wtf:
Depending on the side the Orion is, it can bring two BGreens and two TerSlashes to the Demon's one LRed and SRed. Even though the Demon has 60,000 more hitpoints the Orion is still pushing out more firepower.

Actually the refire rates come to mind now...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The single LRed out-damages the entire Orion, IIRC.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

The single LRed out-damages the entire Orion, IIRC.

Another reason to admire the Shivan designers of the LRed beam.   ;)

The point is that there are too many campaigns in which the player is tasked to destroy the fragile main beam cannons. The concept itself may not be that pathetic...it's the way campaign creators handle it that makes it look poor.

I do agree, the Ravana is primarily tasked to annihilate opposing ships, but setting all missions featuring a Ravana around the destruction of its beams is pretty idiotic, if you ask me.

It's a matter of originality, you know...every time I see a Ravana, I know it's about to go berserk and I have to take its beams down. It's predictable, and without original ideas to make it look more interesting it's quite boring as well.

I agree with that. But off the top of my head I can only think of

- Having the Ravana stay at some distance and launch fighters at the player or whatever he's protecting
- The Ravana be launched in the middle of a large dogfight and be used in a fighter-suppression role
- Having the Ravana head for a node and have the player tasked to disable it and neutralise it's navigation subsystem so it can't jump out (I'm using this one :) )
-Have the GTVA locate and attack the Ravana rather than the other way around, so it doesn't get to choose what to point its cannons at. 

Just sayin'.
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:10:24 am by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
tl;dr except for the first page.

But in regards to the usage of Ravanas, I have noticed that this is the case. Other than making the GTVA attack the Ravana instead of waiting for the Ravana to attack, making it blink in behind the GTVA ships and start blowing **** up might work, as well as having the Ravana pull back the moment its beam cannons take a certain amount of damage. Making it work as a carrier is a bit of a waste imo, but it certainly makes it more interesting than your regular Ravana-oriented missions.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Good idea, actually. I'd also increase the Ravana's hitpoints by 5-10% in FRED to make its turrets(and, overall, the whole ship) harder to kill.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline Krelus

Good idea, actually. I'd also increase the Ravana's hitpoints by 5-10% in FRED to make its turrets(and, overall, the whole ship) harder to kill.

Heh, I already did that. I always thought it was odd that such a scary-ass warship had such weak subsystems. I made them about as tough as a Hecate's.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:10:36 am by High Max »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Heh, I already did that. I always thought it was odd that such a scary-ass warship had such weak subsystems. I made them about as tough as a Hecate's.
Last I remembered that isn't much of an improvement.

Offline Krelus

Last I remembered that isn't much of an improvement.

Hang on, I need to look through my tables again. I seem to recall making a bunch of balance tweaks, and now that I think about it, the Hecate got some serious buffage in this spree.

At the moment, a single Cyclops torpedo brings the Ravana's forward beams down to about 50-60%. I might rebalance that later.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Maybe make a mission where there is no possible way to intercept it before some ship you are supposed to be defending blows up.  I've noticed that you actually get a lot of red objectives in the Main FS2 campaign, and hardly any in mods.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Like having the destroyer jump in to where it's back is facing you so you have to waste time trying to get to its front while it's pounding away at ships like I previously said.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Like having the destroyer jump in to where it's back is facing you so you have to waste time trying to get to its front while it's pounding away at ships like I previously said.
But it's still the same 'Destroy the Ravana's forward beams' mission, isn't it? You just have to scramble a bit more.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:10:53 am by High Max »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
But it's still the same 'Destroy the Ravana's forward beams' mission, isn't it? You just have to scramble a bit more.
It would be, but it wouldn't be like other missions where it jumps either facing directly towards you or to the side to where you can immediately greet it with Trebuchets. :rolleyes:

Pair up the Demon and the Ravana in a mission(s). Use the best features of each one to offset the handicap of the other.

Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
All I can say is you may have to use other fan made destroyers, like the Kismat or Yama, though this thread is about using the Ravana in as many ways as possible. But I think ideas with the Ravana have been exhausted.
I doubt they're exhausted.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
Pair up the Demon and the Ravana in a mission(s). Use the best features of each one to offset the handicap of the other.

2 caps might be a bit too much for the average mission...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

making it blink in behind the GTVA ships and start blowing **** up might work

That was done in a mission in Blue Planet.

I need to add here that it's still at a point where you can simply turn around and lob Trebuchets at the cannons the moment it jumps in.

2 caps might be a bit too much for the average mission...

Not enough for me. :P