Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
0 (0%)
Books by Charles Dickens
1 (3.2%)
Don Quixote by Miguel Saavedra
2 (6.5%)
I Don't like to Read At All
3 (9.7%)
I Got Less Than a "550" on my SAT or GRE Verbal; Doesn't That Tell You Something?
2 (6.5%)
Something not here
22 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: March 26, 2002, 07:55:47 am

Author Topic: Your Favorite Novel  (Read 7795 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
1)The Hand of Thrawn duology by Timothy Zahn
2)Many Isaac Asimov books, chief among them the Elijah Bailey novels
3)I,Jedi by Michael Stackpole
-C

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
1984- favorite of all time. I can't believe you put that piece of overrated ****, Catcher in the Rye, in there, and left 1984 out. Shame! But that's just me, and my bias against people who write a book to capture the collective personality of teenagers and end up with a completely inaccurate, stereotypical, and worst of all insulting paranoid lunatic. I know myself, and this ain't it.

Other than that, I'd venture... hmm. Tricky. I've got several dozen books vying for first place in my mind, few, if any, of which you'd have heard of. Ah well...

For mindless entertaiment, nothing beats Gibson's Cyberspace Trilogy or Virtual Light. Whatever happened to cyberpunk?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2002, 11:43:16 pm by 262 »

Originally posted by Stryke 9
1984- favorite of all time. I can't believe you put that piece of overrated ****, Catcher in the Rye, in there, and left it out. But that's just me, and my bias against people who write a book to capture the collective personality of teenagers and end up with a completely inaccurate, stereotypical, and worst of all insulting paranoid lunatic. I know myself, and this ain't it.

he wrote it to inspire the serial killers of tomorrow

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
:lol:

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
1984- favorite of all time. I can't believe you put that piece of overrated ****, Catcher in the Rye, in there, and left it out. But that's just me, and my bias against people who write a book to capture the collective personality of teenagers and end up with a completely inaccurate, stereotypical, and worst of all insulting paranoid lunatic. I know myself, and this ain't it.

As I said earlier, The Catcher in the Rye is the worst book I have ever read in my life. What can I say; it is a complete POS in every way. As you said, the main character is so unbelievably, indescribably moronic, he can be downright insulting at times. There wasn't much of a plot either; it basically told the story of some half-crazed lunatic as he went through his daily life (if it can even be called that). :p

All the books I had to read for school have been total garbage. These are the three worst books of all time for me:

1:Catcher in the Rye
2:Romeo and Juliet
3:To Kill a Mockingbird

(all of which are school-picked titles)

These English departments are terrible; can't they ever pick anything interesting?

Oh BTW, this isn't a novel, but still one of the best books I have read: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. It is a very comprehensive, detailed and compelling account of just about every aspect of the Nazi empire; it's a bit big, but I would definitely recommend it. :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2002, 12:08:25 am by 296 »

i think youre just reacting to the fact the english department is making you read those books.  To kill a mockingbird is a classic, ask anybody that really understands it.  While I'm no shakespeare fan, R&J is pretty good, I liked tybalt's character.  

Now be glad you don't have to ... haven't read anything by Charles Dickens or James Joyce .  With the exception of A Tale of Two Cities, which is pretty damn good, anything else by those two will have you offereing your head to the Vasudans.  Trust me.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Another 3 of my favorites are by A. E. Van Vogt - anyone ever read him? He was of a previous generation, so you'll probably find his books in used bookstores. My favorites of his are:

- Slan
- both of the Null-A books
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline icespeed

"Now be glad you don't have to ... haven't read anything by Charles Dickens or James Joyce . With the exception of A Tale of Two Cities, which is pretty damn good, anything else by those two will have you offereing your head to the Vasudans. Trust me.
"NegspectahDek
That's so not true about Charles dickens... he's cool
you've never read  Oliver or a Christmas Carol, have you? His style might be old fashioned or whatever, but that means nothing- not really. it's the characters and the plot which are good.

on the subject of books... every book is a good book... except for those that aren't. seriously, though, it just depends on your perspective.
$quot;Let your light shine before men...$quot;
Matthew 5:16

When I graduate, I'm going to be a doctor, and people are going to come to me looking for treatment and prescription drugs, and I'm going to give it to them. Is anyone scared yet?

$quot;If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.$quot; Romans 10:9

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hah, this was begging you here, wasn't it ice. :p

Favourite books... favourite books. I tend to grow towards liking any books that I read. It's deliberate - I enjoy them more that way. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

i tried to read Great Expectations.  even skipping pages, I couldnt make it past 100.  But tht might have something to do with the fact that I was in 9th grtade at the time.  And I did say A tale of two cities is pretty good.  Even if I'm better suited to read Dickens now, I'd rather go watch grass grow.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ah, anyone here read Solaris by Stanislaw Lem? That thing is one of the fines examples of sci-fi ever! I still get shivers up my spine when I think of that book...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Oh, and I might as well add to the Tolkien praise. What I've read of J.R.R.'s work is stunning. :nod:

Anyone know what those initials stand for?

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
I can't stand those quaint, twee 19th century peices.

They just bore me to tears, even the TV dramatisations.

the Silmarillion - now theres a book with scope.

I also liked the BOOK (not film) of Stephen Kings' the Running Man.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Setekh
Oh, and I might as well add to the Tolkien praise. What I've read of J.R.R.'s work is stunning. :nod:

Anyone know what those initials stand for?
hard to spell, and I don't have any book at hand but I'll try:

John Ronald Reuel I think
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
i think youre just reacting to the fact the english department is making you read those books. To kill a mockingbird is a classic, ask anybody that really understands it. While I'm no shakespeare fan, R&J is pretty good, I liked tybalt's character.

Now be glad you don't have to ... haven't read anything by Charles Dickens or James Joyce . With the exception of A Tale of Two Cities, which is pretty damn good, anything else by those two will have you offereing your head to the Vasudans. Trust me.

Well, I was the only one in my class who did not like it, but that can be said about the other two titles as well. The thing is, in most cases, I don't really like titles that focus too much on some insignificant individuals whose lives don't mean much in the big picture. This is what made Foundation unique and set it apart from almost all of the others out there. In TKAM, the plot was not very intriguing either; it definitely was not the kind of book I just had to keeping reading "one more page" to find out what happens, such as with some other titles I have read.

Shakespeare's works aren't all bad - Julius Caesar is actually very good in my opinion - it's just his love stories that bore me to death. (as do anyone else's)

Oh BTW four more books that are not novels but I really like nevertheless:

Calculus with Analytic Geometry and Multivariable Calculus
Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics
Differential Equations with Variational Calculus
Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook

;7

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by CP5670
Foundation

Are you referring to Asimov's work?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, the one regarding the fall of the empire. The first book in the series is probably the best novel I have read. :nod:

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
The Hitchhiker's Trilogy
The Saga of Mallorea - David Eddings (including all the books that go into that world)
Rainbow Six
Dragonlance
Susikoira Roi - Jorma Kurvinen (this one is Finnish ;) )

there's few :)
Habeeb it...

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Originally posted by Styxx
Ah, anyone here read Solaris by Stanislaw Lem? That thing is one of the fines examples of sci-fi ever! I still get shivers up my spine when I think of that book...

:yes: that's great. Also "The Invincible" was kinda fascinating.

Some more favs, kinda mixed bag:
  Conrad, Joseph -  Nostromo
  Stapledon, Olaf - Last and First Men
  Gogol, Nikolai - The Overcoat
  Butler, Octavia - Xenogenesis Trilogy
  Lawrence, D.H. ...any
  James, Henry - The Portrait of a Lady
  Asimov, Isaac - Foundation etc...
  Goncharov, Ivan - Oblomov
  Bronte, Emily - Wuthering Heights
  Clarke, Arthur C. - Rendezvous With Rama etc..
  Chekhov, Anton ...any
  Card.. the Enders Game Series

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by mikhael

Gordon Dickson isn't bad, but Mercedes Lackey? How many times can that woman tell the same tale in the same world through a different character's eyes? Its fluff fantasy.

That said, I think I have all of the Valdemar novels and short stories up through... um.... 1998 or so. Oh the shame....
I meant the SERRAted Edge books, the Urban Fantasy books... Actually, the ones I like best she did in conjunction with another author. Hmmm...... that's odd......
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw