Author Topic: 3.6.10 performance problems  (Read 10429 times)

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: 3.6.10 performance problems
can you down load this and run a test then post the report results please......

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:30:13 am by andicirk »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can you try one of the recent nightly builds? Most people have reported at least some speed increases with those.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Can you try one of the recent nightly builds? Most people have reported at least some speed increases with those.

If you're not seeing a speed increase with the nightly builds, you're not using the sexp system :P
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Pizzi1

I have just tested Nightly (Windows): 27 Jul 2009 - Revision 5492 i have not seen any changes..the scroll remain pitiful  :(
Below i have posted my open-gl extension report.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:48:19 am by Pizzi1 »

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
ok, nothing much wrong there , your driver isnt prehistoric but its not the latest one .... have a look here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_190.38_whql.html

this is a 32 bit one

try that one , one thing i would also check is that your gpu isnt underclocked for some reason , so first check what the settings should be according to the manufacturer; i think this is your card
http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/sparkle-geforce-8600gt-pci/1707-8902_7-33110101.html

download this http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/ and see what you are actually running at ...

if there is a difference i would suggest getting ntune and nvtray and tweaking your card a little

n tune.......http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

nvtray ..... http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVTray-(NVIDIA-Tray-Tools)-download-1264.html

keep posting with any results etc and hopefully we will sort this out soon
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:16:40 am by andicirk »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Pizzi1

I have just upgraded with the lastest nvidia drivers.
I have tested too my graphic card with gpu-z, my gpu use normal default clock.
My card is a sparkle 8600 gt with 256 ddr3 http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=63&sub_id=110

Anyway i have posted my test results.

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
In the product detail for that card, it says the memory clock runs at 1400Mhz, yet GPUz is stating yours is only running at 700Mhz. I doubt this would be your problem but................. :nervous:  :confused:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
GDDR3 is doube data rate RAM. 700 * 2 = 1400.

Offline Pizzi1

hi all, i have now a geforce 9800 with 1 giga, but performance problem remain the same.
any idea?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, since you are still he only one who seems to have the problem, I want you to try the latest nightly build by Zacam, one of the ones with SSE2 support if possible, and generate a new debug log.

Offline Pizzi1

Ok, i have tried the both zacam sse versions i have again my problem.
Below i have posted my freespace logs
the game run great under debug version, but is pitiful in the normal release (this is very strange, why does work so well in debug version? and doesnt work in normal release?).
I see a stable 60 fps (v-sync on), but the scroll is bad in normal release, specially when there are much things in the screen like models or nebulaes....i have posted too my test mission
PS to play i can only use a older freespace version or the newer debug version.  How can i delete the up-right corner information in the debug version?  :p

[attachment deleted by admin]

Interesting - just compared your command line with mine:

Mine:
Code: [Select]
Passed cmdline options:
  -env
  -mipmap
  -missile_lighting
  -glow
  -spec
  -normal
  -3dshockwave
  -no_vsync
  -3dwarp
  -ship_choice_3d
  -warp_flash
  -snd_preload
  -mod mediavps
  -fps

Yours:
Passed cmdline options:
  -env
  -mipmap
  -glow
  -spec
  -cache_bitmaps
  -ship_choice_3d
  -mod test2
  -fps

I suggest trying -snd_preload and getting rid of -cache_bitmaps and seeing what happens (Warning: I haven't tested this on my setup, but I've not had problems with this set of parameters)
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Try yanking out -mipmap as well. MediaVPs don't need -mipmap.

cache_bitmaps should be just fine, honestly. I run with it on a 7600 and 8800GT as well as my SLI 9800 1gb.

I'd also recommend -loadallweps (or what ever it is) as that's another flag I have on. If it's only dynamically paging in the weapons when defined on mission loadout but in mission it doesn't have pre-loaded the table weapons for a ship, that can cause some sluggishness.

And yeah, Release (non-Debug) builds should be faster than Debug Builds.

Also, to better provide proper support, make sure the MediaVPs you are using are the actual MediaVPs (unaltered) and are of the latest version. Absolutely none of those checksums are right. And file counts are off as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:03:35 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline AlienTermite

• I love... lamp?
I've been having the same problem with the scrolling being choppy... I have a stable frame rate of 60fps but when I turn my ship in any direction it gets really choppy, even though it still says 60fps. I turned vsync off and it runs a lot better (120fps... but a little clippy just because of the fact that vsync is off), which is strange because my computer is pretty good (6GB RAM, GeForce 9800 GT, Intel Core Quad @ 2.33 GHz each), and I also run 3.6.10 on my other PC which is a lot crappier than this one and it runs great with vsync on.

Anyways, maybe try running the game without vsync. Works for me, and the clipping isn't too noticeable most of the time.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
I've been having the same problem with the scrolling being choppy... I have a stable frame rate of 60fps but when I turn my ship in any direction it gets really choppy, even though it still says 60fps. I turned vsync off and it runs a lot better (120fps... but a little clippy just because of the fact that vsync is off), which is strange because my computer is pretty good (6GB RAM, GeForce 9800 GT, Intel Core Quad @ 2.33 GHz each), and I also run 3.6.10 on my other PC which is a lot crappier than this one and it runs great with vsync on.

Anyways, maybe try running the game without vsync. Works for me, and the clipping isn't too noticeable most of the time.

I seem to have the same problem as well and dissabling Vsync helped a little bit.

It's strange since I haven't noticed this before.. maybe it's because of the new video card I bought a couple of months back.

I have a decent pc so I'm guessing it's not the because of my hardware capabilities. (GTX 260 + AM2 4200 + 3GB ram)

oh sorry.. forgot these:

C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_openr.exe -mod mediavps -spec -glow -env -mipmap -nomotiondebris -noscalevid -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -no_vsync -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 50 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point .6 -spec_static 1 -spec_tube .5 -ogl_spec 82 -fov .88

running on r5618-SSE for Win + 3.6.10 mediavp release including patch

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:08:25 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline AlienTermite

• I love... lamp?
Been playing around with it some more today and the choppiness still happens with vanilla freespace with none of the mediavp's active.

Hmm...

And I take back what I said before... the background textures do look pretty rough without vsync on.

Edit: I changed the resolution from 1440x900 to 1350x768, and the choppiness disappeared, with vsync enabled as well. Strange because 1440x900 is the resolution I run all my games at and they all work just fine, and is also the resolution I run FS2 Open on my other PC and it works just fine. I suppose I'll just make due with a different resolution...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:19:41 pm by AlienTermite »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
well that doesn't seem to work for me :S
el hombre vicio...

Offline Pizzi1

Maybe I have found the cause of this bug....the game seem run well if i dont put nothing into the data folder....but if i put something into, like a mission, the game performance are bad.. this is very strange (so i can not create any new missions or add new campains or mods too with the new mediavp)
I have used fof my test sse2 zacam build and the latest mediavp...
PS i have created a new mediavp folder, and put all mediavp inside of it ( c:\freespace2\mediavp    .... and here all work well), but, if i add a mission inside data into mediavp dir, the scroll does not work well anymore (c:\freespace2\mediavp\data\missions\... the game run bad).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What. Not that I am doubting you, but ... WHAT? :wtf:

Offline Pizzi1

i was mistaken :(
sorry, I lied, forget my latest post, I've did more tests and the bug is still present