Author Topic: Cutscenes in full nebulas - potential bug  (Read 4483 times)

Offline Furby

Cutscenes in full nebulas - potential bug
Hi all,

I’ve been lurking here for a long time, but I finally decided to come out of the woodwork because of a rather puzzling graphics problem. It only happens during in-game cutscenes in full nebula missions. Basically, it’s almost like the nebula background color and the black silhouette that normally obscures ships swap places. The nebula background becomes black, and ships become whatever color the nebula background was supposed to be (although you can still see the ship’s textures).  Have a look at the attached screenshot to see what I mean.

At this point, I’m reasonably sure that this is an FS2 Open bug. I’ve seen this in several different missions, and no amount of fiddling in FRED makes any difference. Oh, and yes, my video drivers are up-to-date. :) Still, I thought I’d get a coder’s opinion and make sure that it’s a bug before I submit it to Mantis. So, coders: does this look like a bug? Should I post it on Mantis?

[attachment deleted by Tolwyn]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Cutscenes in full nebulas - potential bug
Well if you haven't already done so try the latest Knightly builds first to make sure it still happens.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Furby

I just tried Revision 5492. No luck.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well if it's reproducible and you have a test mission that proves it then I'd say put it in Mantis. 

Just one other thing does this happen with both retail data and the MediaVPs or just one?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
It's been in mantis for quite some time:

http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=1945
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I was right then it does belong in Mantis it just happens it's already there.  :p

He didn't mention cutscene bars though.  

If your getting it without the cutscene bars then you may want to add that info to the existing report.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:51:58 am by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
True, then again, he might have set cutscene bars too. They happen not to work from time to time.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Furby

Just one other thing does this happen with both retail data and the MediaVPs or just one?

It happens with both. I tested it earlier today.

If your getting it without the cutscene bars then you may want to add that info to the existing report.

It's always happened without cutscene bars for me. I've never tested it with a mission that used cutscene bars, but from the sound of it, I'd probably get the same result.

So should I add this information to the existing report? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Just add a note to the existing bug report. Don't forget to include your command line, build used, etc.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Furby

Thanks, Tolwyn. :) Unfortunately, I've run into a problem. I signed up for a Mantis account several days ago, but I still don't have the confirmation email, which of course means I can't add a note to the report. It's been long enough that I'm starting to think the email won't come at all... Any suggestions?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Post what you were going to add here and someone can add it for you, or pester Goob to fix your account.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Thanks, Tolwyn. :) Unfortunately, I've run into a problem. I signed up for a Mantis account several days ago, but I still don't have the confirmation email, which of course means I can't add a note to the report. It's been long enough that I'm starting to think the email won't come at all... Any suggestions?

It won't. I don't know why people tell newbies to "put it on Mantis" when everyone knows the registration system is borked, but they do.  :sigh:

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

It won't. I don't know why people tell newbies to "put it on Mantis" when everyone knows the registration system is borked, but they do.  :sigh:

Yep, same here, attempt number 786454 to register an account failed.  :sigh:

Anyways, i has a something to report, it's minor but still.

Had trouble to delete wings from a mission.
Actually, i could delete all the ships in the wing except for the first ship in the wing, e.g. Alpha 1, Kappa 1 a.s.o..
I had to exit FRED and reload the mission, then i was able to remove them.
Like i said minor but i never had that before.

The builds used Nightly 5475 and the other one...well not sure i renamed it after i DL it ( bad, i know )
but it was a pre 5475 build.
Haven't tried it with the latest Nightly, yet ( it's 1.30am ), will do that tomorrow later today.

Sorry for the thread hi-jacking...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:43:43 pm by Angelus »

Offline Furby

Post what you were going to add here and someone can add it for you, or pester Goob to fix your account.

I guess I’ll post it here, since I’m too lazy to poke Goober. :p All I wanted to add was that this bug also occurs without cutscene bars (since the existing report suggests that it only happens if cutscene bars are set). I’m currently using the July 27 nightly build (revision 5492). Also, in case it matters, here’s my command line:

-spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -loadallweps -ambient_factor 35 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 0.4

Thanks, Chief. :)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Angelus, did you try disbanding the wing first?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
That's what I am talking about - FRED is going bonkers lately. I do not do any serious fredding at the moment though, so I am not sure how to replicate issues I've been running into... There is definetely something going wrong there: like wings disappearing, departure cues being corrupted, and so on.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Tolwyn: If you can produce a set of instructions to cause your issue(s), I'll have a crack at tracking it down.
Also, is there a particular nightly you can point to as being 'fine'?
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I am not sure. I am using 26th July build, which contains the latest ai fix for WCS.

As to FRED deleting wings: all I did was selecting all enemy wings in the mission (or rather all hostile ships) in order to set a few ship flags (like "hide ship name"). If you want I could check if I can reproduce this issue.

Also: first debug message usually displays following error - I've never seen something like this before...

Code: [Select]
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fred2_open_3_6_11d-20090726_r5491.exe! <no symbol>
USER32.dll! GetWindowLongW + 592 bytes
USER32.dll! GetWindowLongW + 939 bytes
USER32.dll! InvalidateRect + 267 bytes
USER32.dll! CallWindowProcW + 27 bytes
OPENGL32.dll! wglSwapBuffers + 749 bytes
USER32.dll! GetWindowLongW + 592 bytes
USER32.dll! GetWindowLongW + 939 bytes
USER32.dll! GetWindowLongW + 1270 bytes
USER32.dll! DispatchMessageA + 15 bytes
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 14 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlCreateUserProcess + 140 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlCreateProcessParameters + 78 bytes
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:16:43 am by Tolwyn »

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Angelus, did you try disbanding the wing first?

The first two wings not, but after Alpha 1 and Omega 1 remained on the map after i deleted the wing i hit the disband button for Beta, Gamma, Kappa and Zeta, but no joy.

Before someone asks, all the mentioned wings are hostile wings and part of the second wave, the friendly wings are named differently. :)

Offline Furby

:bump:

Anybody feel like helping me out and posting this information as a note on Mantis #0001945? I would do it myself, but the Mantis confirmation email never came, so I'm stuck. :sigh:

All I wanted to add was that this bug also occurs without cutscene bars (since the existing report suggests that it only happens if cutscene bars are set). I'm currently using the July 27 nightly build (revision 5492). Also, in case it matters, here’s my command line:

-spec -glow -env -mipmap -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -loadallweps -ambient_factor 35 -no_emissive_light -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 0.4

Oh, and to the coders: This Mantis issue doesn’t seem to have anyone working on it ATM. If and when you get a chance, could you look into it? In case you’re wondering why I care about this so much, it’s because I’m planning to use a couple full nebula cutscenes in a campaign I’m working on. Until this issue is fixed, I won’t be able to tell 100% for sure whether or not my cutscenes look good (and they'd obviously look weird for anybody playing the campaign too). So… would any of you coders be nice enough to tackle this bug? Pretty please? :D