Author Topic: The Beatle Remasters.  (Read 2727 times)

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
WHo loves, who hates em.. who doesn't care? i am in love with them, and i never use dto care for them. listening to "i've just seen a face"

All energy to weapons.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The Beatle Remasters, are they a tribute or something?

I personally love the originals. Eggman, Let it be etc.........

However i won't be playing it on rockband guitar hero thing.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline iamzack

I like the Across the Universe versions of all their songs better.

But I also hate pie, so whatever.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline bahijal74

• BOOM baby!! haha
yeha it was a great movie. and the remasters are the redone and improved audio versions, they relaly sound gorgeous soundwise
All energy to weapons.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Ewwwww.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Listened to a couple of the remastered youtube samples next to the CD versions from the 80s...They're definitely thinner and you can hear more detail in individual parts because of the isolation, especially with headphones.  Sometimes that's cool but it also exposes some mistakes that are kind of distracting.  Also this might just be the crappy youtube quality but it seemed to me like they used some noise gating or something, making intermittent things like hand claps and other percussion "bump out" with a noticeable attack and release.  Anyway I suppose it's not something I'd recommend to any but the most rabid fans if they already have the music in another form, but if not, it's probably as good a place to start as any.  The Beatles video game and playset that was coordinated with this release on the other hand can bite my balls.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009

The Beatle Remasters, are they a tribute or something?

I personally love the originals. Eggman, Let it be etc.........

However i won't be playing it on rockband guitar hero thing.

No, not a tribute. The same songs, just remastered to have modern-day quality. The professional recording quality of the 60's amounts to that of a 21st century mic you can buy for like $10.

And what do you guys have against The Beatles Rock Band? It's pretty fun... :doubt:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
And what do you guys have against The Beatles Rock Band? It's pretty fun... :doubt:
Very fun, from everything I've heard, and incredibly well-presented.  I've been watching runs of some of the songs on YouTube, and the locales for some of them, particularly the incredibly-trippy dreamscapes, are amazing.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Nay, not a tribute, and dinna spare the whip!  Aarrr! The same songs, just remastered t' have modern-day quality.  The professional recordin' quality o' th' 60's amounts t' wot o' a 21st century mic ye can buy fer like $10.
Funny that you should mention microphones, as that is one area of recording that has basically not changed at all since the 60's :p  Actually the remasters can do nothing to improve the quality of the 60's tapes; the objective of a remastering process like this is to end up with a digital transfer that more closely approaches the 60's vinyl.  The digital transfer that we are familiar with from Beatles CDs was done back in the 80's--that is what is being redone with these remasters.  Changes in perceived quality will be due to different equipment and settings for EQ, compression etc. used by the modern mastering engineers as compared to their less experienced and well equipped 80's counterparts, not anything to do with the 60's recording.
An' what do ye hearties have against The Beatles Rock Band?  It's pretty fun...  :doubt:
For the $250 they charge for the set of ****ty plastic controllers you need to play the game, you could buy a decent used instrument off craigslist.  For the hundreds of hours I see kids sinking into perfecting their technique at tapping along to dumbed down transcriptions, they could learn to sight read, or improvise, or listen to their fellow musicians.  I know my objections are not particularly rational and Guitar Hero is not responsible for the pathetic state of music education in this country (USA), but seeing music I care about reduced to tacky consumer fare like this squicks me something fierce.  Sure the Beatles never really took an anti-corporate stance or anything, but still.  If they do Guitar Hero: Zappa, I'm gonna shoot myself.
Ewwwww.
I never saw this (or the Cirque du Soleil Beatles show), but if the Across the Universe versions are remixed rather than remastered then that would be quite understandable--some of the original recordings employ some 60's panning conventions that sound pretty goofy compared to the modern practice.  If they are covers like in I am Sam though then God help you  :D

Offline iamzack

I wish reading/playing music was like playing rockband. I'd still suck, though.

WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
For the $250 they charge for the set of ****ty plastic controllers you need to play the game, you could buy a decent used instrument off craigslist.  For the hundreds of hours I see kids sinking into perfecting their technique at tapping along to dumbed down transcriptions, they could learn to sight read, or improvise, or listen to their fellow musicians.  I know my objections are not particularly rational and Guitar Hero is not responsible for the pathetic state of music education in this country (USA), but seeing music I care about reduced to tacky consumer fare like this squicks me something fierce.  Sure the Beatles never really took an anti-corporate stance or anything, but still.  If they do Guitar Hero: Zappa, I'm gonna shoot myself.
The thing is, some of us legitimately don't want to play a musical instrument, or simply couldn't ever become more than barely proficient at one, no matter how many hundreds of hours we practiced.  From the beginning, Guitar Hero (and later Rock Band, once Harmonix jumped to that) have allowed people like that, like me, to enjoy and partake in a crap-load of good rock music with friends, despite our unwillingness/inability to ever attempt to get there with a genuine article.  They have the added bonus of introducing kids today to decades' worth of music that they may not ever have been familiar with, and I've seen more than one rock musician say that they view the series as very beneficial.  Even if a small percentage of those kids go on and become inspired to pick up a real guitar, that's still a small percentage that probably wouldn't have without the help of the games.

Oh, and trust me, there's nothing "tacky" at all about this product.  Everything I've seen and heard suggests that the in-game presentation is of very good taste and completely in-line with the true spirit of the Beatles.  Hell, Paul and Ringo themselves were on-stage at the E3 unveiling.

(Heh, I just realized how appropriate this filter was for your username. :p)

Offline iamzack

I hate guitar/bass on rockband. They're super boring. I like playing the drums. :3

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
You're playing the wrong songs, or at too easy of a difficulty, if you think the guitar is boring.  I'll give you the bass, though. :p

Offline iamzack

Oh no, I suck at all of them. They just bore me because I'm pushing buttons and pulling a lever. At least with drums I'm doing fun stuff.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
The thing is, some of us legitimately don't want to play a musical instrument, or simply couldn't ever become more than barely proficient at one, no matter how many hundreds of hours we practiced.  From the beginning, Guitar Hero (and later Rock Band, once Harmonix jumped to that) have allowed people like that, like me, to enjoy and partake in a crap-load of good rock music with friends, despite our unwillingness/inability to ever attempt to get there with a genuine article.  They have the added bonus of introducing kids today to decades' worth of music that they may not ever have been familiar with, and I've seen more than one rock musician say that they view the series as very beneficial.  Even if a small percentage of those kids go on and become inspired to pick up a real guitar, that's still a small percentage that probably wouldn't have without the help of the games.
You raise a lot of good points here, and I see what you're saying about people who have no desire to ever play music, but I still have some serious reservations about the whole genre.  For one thing, I have observed from growing up playing and singing in school bands and groups and later while teaching that the number of people who would, with practice, become very strong players is much much larger than the number that believe they could become very strong players.  The number of awful singers that try out on the Idol shows might indicate that the latter group is much larger than the former, but you'll have to trust me that within the general population of musically interested humans there is more unrealized musical ability than there is confidence.  This seems to be especially the case with girls, who appear to be just as interested and capable but are more easily discouraged than boys.  I think this distorted perception is partly due to the well-documented presence of freakishly talented outliers with absolute pitch, perfect rhythm and a laundry list of other impressive talents that make success, whatever that may be for the individual, seem out of reach.

Whatever the reason though, there seems to be a disconnect in our culture wherein proficient musicians are regarded as having been born with some sort of special, inaccessible abilities rather than being normal people who put in their 10,000 hours.  And then there's guitar hero, beckoning to the beginner with the instant gratification of music effortlessly flowing from their fingertips, reinforcing our culture's image of itself as consumers rather than creators of music, substituting a fun but shallow pursuit for the ultimate journey of creative fruition that is music.  Of course, if I'm wrong and these games yield a generation of face-melting genius virtuosi I'll take it all back.  I'm also prepared to do a 180 if some brave developer makes "Groupie Blowjob Hero", but it's definitely gonna need some higher quality peripherals.
Oh, and trust me, there's nothing "tacky" at all about this product.  Everything I've seen and heard suggests that the in-game presentation is of very good taste and completely in-line with the true spirit of the Beatles.  Hell, Paul and Ringo themselves were on-stage at the E3 unveiling.

(Heh, I just realized how appropriate this filter was for your username. :p)
Yeah tacky wasn't the right word, what I meant was lacking in substance.  I acknowledge the high production values and everything, but it's still charging $250 for plastic shells with what, 6 buttons?  They don't even seem to register how hard you hit the things.  And yes, it was my special day I suppose.  Sad to see the filter go.  Perhaps I will amend the bloodthirsty declaration that started this conversation.
The Beatles video game and playset that was coordinated with this release on the other hand can bite my balls.
Th' Beatles video game an' playset wot were coordinated wi' this here release on th' other hand can suck me balls gently. :arrr:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Whatever the reason though, there seems to be a disconnect in our culture wherein proficient musicians are regarded as having been born with some sort of special, inaccessible abilities rather than being normal people who put in their 10,000 hours.  And then there's guitar hero, beckoning to the beginner with the instant gratification of music effortlessly flowing from their fingertips, reinforcing our culture's image of itself as consumers rather than creators of music, substituting a fun but shallow pursuit for the ultimate journey of creative fruition that is music.  Of course, if I'm wrong and these games yield a generation of face-melting genius virtuosi I'll take it all back.  I'm also prepared to do a 180 if some brave developer makes "Groupie Blowjob Hero", but it's definitely gonna need some higher quality peripherals.
The thing is, I think that complaint only rings true if the people who play said games get delusions of grandeur about their skill at them automatically transferring to the genuine article.   And let's face it...outside of perhaps a greater sense of rhythm and finger dexterity, they definitely don't, at least not for guitar.  While there are a few deluded morons out there who think that way, the vast majority of players, myself included, simply view it as a fun leisure activity.  I know that I make no pretensions that my fiddling around with a toy guitar grants me any form of concrete skill; at the end of the day, I freely acknowledge that my abilities extend only as far as plastic. :p  The thing is, though, while I do have a decent tonal ear and probably could pick up an instrument if I tried hard enough, I'm simply not willing to invest the thousands of hours required to do so.  I"m perfectly content with investing the several dozen hours it took to become skilled at a simplistic rhythm game.

(On another note, I've heard from real-life drummers that tackling the Rock Band drums on Hard/Insane actually comes pretty damn close to simulating the genuine article on a basic level.  Likewise, I feel like getting a visual sense of one's pitch control while taking on the singer role could help one improve one's voice.)

Yeah tacky wasn't the right word, what I meant was lacking in substance.  I acknowledge the high production values and everything, but it's still charging $250 for plastic shells with what, 6 buttons?  They don't even seem to register how hard you hit the things.
While the controllers for the original PS2 games were essentially "plastic shells" (though even so, I still think they had the best feel out of any GH/RB controllers), the Rock Band controllers are actually pretty darn solid; the special Beatles instruments are particularly nice, from what I've heard.  And it's true that they don't register differences in pressure, but that's simply because there's no need for them to in the context of gameplay.

Offline iamzack

Singing on rockband isn't as good vocal training as you'd think. I suck and I can get decent scores on expert.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
The thing is, I think that complaint only rings true if the people who play said games get delusions of grandeur about their skill at them automatically transferring to the genuine article.   And let's face it...outside of perhaps a greater sense of rhythm and finger dexterity, they definitely don't, at least not for guitar.  While there are a few deluded morons out there who think that way, the vast majority of players, myself included, simply view it as a fun leisure activity.  I know that I make no pretensions that my fiddling around with a toy guitar grants me any form of concrete skill; at the end of the day, I freely acknowledge that my abilities extend only as far as plastic. :p  The thing is, though, while I do have a decent tonal ear and probably could pick up an instrument if I tried hard enough, I'm simply not willing to invest the thousands of hours required to do so.  I"m perfectly content with investing the several dozen hours it took to become skilled at a simplistic rhythm game.
Well what I'm positing is not that people will overestimate their real life abilities based on what they can do in the video game, but that they underestimate their potential for whatever reason, and Guitar Hero can step in and deliver to them the immediate sonic satisfaction of "playing" polished music without offering any of the substantive benefits of having music making as an important part of their lives.  Your saying that you are unwilling to invest so many hours into learning about music but are more than content to invest several dozen hours into the games indicates to me that the games are, in effect, diverting the creative impulse: the investment of a few dozen hours would make a fantastic start on learning an instrument, music theory, songwriting--any number of things.  Even if you don't end up pursuing any of them, having as broad a base of knowledge as possible will make you a more interesting and well informed hombre blah blah blah the more you know.  Spending the time and cash on guitar hero instead of lessons and an instrument would be like if California, rather than paying to improve its public school system, chose to subsidize a Michael Bay movie in which several meticulously recreated CG schools are destroyed by a super intelligent race of earthquakes.
(On another note, I've heard from real-life drummers that tackling the Rock Band drums on Hard/Insane actually comes pretty damn close to simulating the genuine article on a basic level.  Likewise, I feel like getting a visual sense of one's pitch control while taking on the singer role could help one improve one's voice.)
I just saw in a video from the developer that the guitar hero world tour drums are in fact velocity sensitive, which means if they had a midi out port then they could, if combined with a v-drum brain, be useful as supplementary drums or midi triggers.  Still definitely not anything that could conceivably justify the price tag, but it's something.  I've never seen the singing part in action but if its pitch recognition is good then I'd bet there would be more utility there than in any of the instruments.  Also, I just remembered this episode of South Park which seems to make all my points in a much more entertaining fashion:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/127947

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Well what I'm positing is not that people will overestimate their real life abilities based on what they can do in the video game, but that they underestimate their potential for whatever reason, and Guitar Hero can step in and deliver to them the immediate sonic satisfaction of "playing" polished music without offering any of the substantive benefits of having music making as an important part of their lives.  Your saying that you are unwilling to invest so many hours into learning about music but are more than content to invest several dozen hours into the games indicates to me that the games are, in effect, diverting the creative impulse: the investment of a few dozen hours would make a fantastic start on learning an instrument, music theory, songwriting--any number of things.  Even if you don't end up pursuing any of them, having as broad a base of knowledge as possible will make you a more interesting and well informed hombre blah blah blah the more you know.  Spending the time and cash on guitar hero instead of lessons and an instrument would be like if California, rather than paying to improve its public school system, chose to subsidize a Michael Bay movie in which several meticulously recreated CG schools are destroyed by a super intelligent race of earthquakes.
The thing is, though...I don't have a creative bone in my body.  Not one.  I have no stories to tell, no songs to sing, nothing along those lines.  I can write for ages talking about someone else's fictional work, but if someone had me create my own, I wouldn't get past the first word.  In that sense, even if I spent thousands of hours working at the guitar or piano, all I'd ever be able to do is play other people's music.  And while there's obviously a lot of value in doing just that, I kind of figure that, if it comes down to just repeating someone else's works anyway, I'm better off sticking with the cheap plastic instruments with which I can have a whole ton of fun with friends.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I own a guitar, have done since shortly after I got FS2 in fact.

But I still love my guitar hero for the already mentioned reason of multiplay. The play may be basic in comparison to scales and the like, but it's fun. 
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png