Author Topic: NASA to blow up the moon today  (Read 10157 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Re: NASA to blow up the moon today
To those who claim that we lack the proper engines to reach Mars: The Hell, you say.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think VASIMR and its derivatives are probably a better bet.

Sorry. But, seriously, nobody in this thread has seriously suggested (I think?) that space exploration is a bad idea. This is a FreeSpace fansite, after all.

I am.  If we do, we risk finding the Shivans much earlier than we should have.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Sorry. But, seriously, nobody in this thread has seriously suggested (I think?) that space exploration is a bad idea. This is a FreeSpace fansite, after all.

Silly goose. It will be centuries before we expand enough for the Shivans to start destroying us.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To those who claim that we lack the proper engines to reach Mars: The Hell, you say.

Yes, Project Orion. Loading a spaceship with a few hundred nukes that have to be transferred into orbit safely first. I can see that going down well with the security crowd.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Silly goose. It will be centuries before we expand enough for the Shivans to start destroying us.

We already attacked the moon, creating an alternate reality in which the Shivans may be really more angry!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

I can see that going down well with the security crowd.

And that has to do with my point... because?

Offline watsisname

Why would we even need nuclear or ion drives for a Mars mission?  A direct Hohmann transfer takes less than a year and little more than 3km/s delta-v.  Perfectly within capabilities of conventional rockets I'd wager.  Now if you intended to send humans to NEPTUNE, then that's a different matter. xD
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

It's not a question of space exploration in general, it is a question of having people in space.

However, none of these are suitable for reaching the space and many of them are yet so weak as to be inferior to chemical drives in pretty much every aspect, but alternative propulsion does exist already.

True they can't reach space on their own, but they can be paired with other launch technologies. If you have something like a maglev launch assist ramp combined with a small chemical rocket, the nuclear rocket can take over once the craft is past a certain point in the upper atmosphere.

Actually NERVA was originally intended to be the upper stage of the Saturn V, which would let it be able to send out stuff to other planets.

The biggest problem with nuclear rockets (even though we need them to make interplanetary trips feasible) is the anti-nuclear scare mongering. Anyone remember the big hoopla 10 years ago when NASA launched Cassini, a probe with an RTG? 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:22:21 pm by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why would we even need nuclear or ion drives for a Mars mission?  A direct Hohmann transfer takes less than a year and little more than 3km/s delta-v.  Perfectly within capabilities of conventional rockets I'd wager.  Now if you intended to send humans to NEPTUNE, then that's a different matter. xD

With a VASIMR derivative (hypothetically) you could do it in weeks.

Offline watsisname

Indeed, and that would greatly come in handy for any manned interplanetary mission, but the point I'm making is that with Mars being just one planet over, I don't understand the /need/ for the advanced drives to get there when we have more efficient means which are still reasonably fast enough.

If we were considering manned missions to an outer planet, let's say Jupiter, then it'd be a much bigger issue.  With conventional rockets, we don't have the capability to take a faster path and then slow down upon arrival, which means a ridiculously long trip and the problems of life-support, solar storms, radiation, etc.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, it hugely cuts down on your life support requirements and even puts a Mars 'base' in reasonable rescue range if something goes awfully wrong.

Didn't the europeans or India or something already find water on the moon? Is NASA just trying to upstage them with this little "let's make a crater" thing???

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Didn't the europeans or India or something already find water on the moon? Is NASA just trying to upstage them with this little "let's make a crater" thing???

Yes.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No. Making a debris plume allows for spectroscopic analysis of all kinds of stuff.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
And this mission wasn't about proving "water on the Moon" in general so much as it was about proving the existence of significant amounts of ice in the permanently-dark regions of polar craters.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
What I'm wondering about is why NASA didn't send someone up there to scoop up a few containers of moon.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What I'm wondering about is why NASA didn't send someone up there to scoop up a few containers of moon.

They did. But they could never prove that they weren't contaminated so they couldn't be certain it was water from the moon.

And this mission wasn't about proving "water on the Moon" in general so much as it was about proving the existence of significant amounts of ice in the permanently-dark regions of polar craters.

It was about that. They're just saying something different now cause they're annoyed the Indians beat them by a few weeks. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
They're just saying something different now cause they're annoyed the Indians beat them by a few weeks. :p

More like three and a half decades given the huge head-start the U.S. had over India. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something

It was about that. They're just saying something different now cause they're annoyed the Indians beat them by a few weeks. :p
Except that the instrument on the Indian satellite that discovered it was NASA-built, and the corroborating evidence was provided by two NASA probes, with Cassini's observations taking place ten years ago. :p