Author Topic: Secondary Missile Damage Mechanics  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Secondary Missile Damage Mechanics
Something like the UT3 AVRiL, I think that would be sweet. It's fun dumbfiring it then having it 180 to a target. :D

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
or the carl g in farcry 2. fire it up, then lock on. death from above!
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That can all be done, I kept the Harpoon like that just to mess around with Into The Lion's Den, near-instantaneous lock, would circle four times before exceeding lifetime.

Hmm, the entire post I was replying to is gone.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:00:46 am by Commander Zane »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Fox two, fox two!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont want a missile that locks onto a target, i want a missile that locks on a location.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

you said that already

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
i dont want a missile that locks onto a target, i want a missile that locks on a location.
To lock onto a set location on the target's hull (which should be readily doable) or one which homes onto a spot 'marked' with ships crosshairs (much, much more complex to do)
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Laser-guided, like Targeting Laser but without the subspace-barfing-missiles part. Homing in on where you point.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
That would be awesome, but for this sort of thing I'd like the ability to have the laser integrated into the secondary weapon rather than used as a primary. I'd finally have laser-guided bombs in Wings!
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
That would be awesome, but for this sort of thing I'd like the ability to have the laser integrated into the secondary weapon rather than used as a primary. I'd finally have laser-guided bombs in Wings!
why have tertiary weapons never been completed? this is a perfect application for it. for me im thinking about either scripting an 'infrared beam' which is essentially a straight line with no visible graphics. i also thought about using a sensor turret, which would have a targeting beam equipped, but that kinda takes out some of the skill required. im not sure if weapon collision hooks work on beams, but those maybe could be used to report the impact location to code which guides the missile.

scripting needs a lot of work i think. right now scripting essentially provides a way to hack around certain behaviors and features in the game, what we need is a way to make the game work with scripting. meaning that the c code wants to do one thing and is allowed to do it, then when the script hook rolls around, all that work is cast aside wasting that cpu time, and script is run to do things the way i want them to be done. my physics scripts are a good example of this. i essentially go "that velocity is wrong, gtfo of my way while i punch in my own vector". for missiles i say "its a hear seeker with a turn time of about a million." the game runs all the code needed to put that heat seeker on its ways then i go "nope do this instead" its all brute force and little efficiency, no matter how good your lua code is.

better way is have a 'scripted' seeker type and a hook that runs when a weapon of that type is found. for something like physicsi need more of a general override and a hook (or multiple hooks if theres an init or code which needs to run after other things have happened). you would be exposed to all the relevant vars, thrust forces, collision forces, etc, then i compute forward velocity and angular velocity. i could rant all day about the inefficiencies of scripting and how many of the features i script in feel like cheap dirty hacks.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Does the AI work with your physics and aerodynamics scripts? They seem exceedingly poor at situations that fall outside normal FreeSpace parameters. In Wings they have difficulty understanding that there can be such a thing as a ground and that flying into it at 300 m/s will result in certain death.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
:lol:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
^this

Nuke's Scripting SVN