Author Topic: Request: Remove 10.000 hitpoint cap on shields  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Request: Remove 10.000 hitpoint cap on shields

I need certain types of capships to have shielding higher then 10000 but currently there seems to be some kind of limit on shields. Fred or FSO won't complain on debug when you set the shields above 10000 in the tables but in game they will only have just 10000, even when you give them something like 999.999
It would help me a great deal if someone could up this limit for me  :nod:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Request: Remove 10.000 hitpoint cap on shields
Wow, that would explain my capship shields being so weak, not matter how much I buffed them.
Anyway, increase will be welcome.

Sorry but this is just not true. Those 10000 are a cap on the value you can enter in that specific dialogue and nothing else. Any table values are simply stuffed into a float value and have no cap whatsoever.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Yea I've been testing and can't find any reason for the cap there.  I'll try to get you a test build in a bit with the limit removed.  It's a 2 line change.

Test Build.  It's debug SSE2 Inferno only.  If you can't use it let me know and I'll build something else.  Test it well.  

Patch file.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:01:05 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Sorry but this is just not true. Those 10000 are a cap on the value you can enter in that specific dialogue and nothing else. Any table values are simply stuffed into a float value and have no cap whatsoever.
as much as I would like to believe you, I'm seeing no result ingame from upping shields beyond 10.000
Even shields at a nifty 90.000 drop just as fast as say 20.000.

Yea I've been testing and can't find any reason for the cap there.  I'll try to get you a test build in a bit with the limit removed.  It's a 2 line change.

Test Build.  It's debug SSE2 Inferno only.  If you can't use it let me know and I'll build something else.  Test it well. 

Patch file.
i'm getting a file is corrupt error with the fs2_open file.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Too bad I can't Ctrl + Shift + S otherwise I'd test this theory with the FSPort Lucifer, it has 800,000 shields and since it's divided in four quadrants it would take 14 hits on one side with the Shivan Super Laser (Non-beam) to take it down.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
And just to prove my point I set up a really simple test mission with one capship shooting an other capship.
Shields of the target set to 5000 and hp 50000. Target died in 20 seconds
Then with 10000 shields and same hp, target was destroyed in 25~30 seconds
Then with 15000 shields, 25~30 seconds
50000 shields, 25~30 seconds.

If you can't use it let me know and I'll build something else.
Can you do a normal build? I don't usually use inferno builds.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
File isn't corrupt on my end.  Try downloading it again. 

Inferno builds will become the normal builds so they needs tested more then regular builds.  You should start using them. 

They are right though there is nothing table wise that caps hull or shield values.  The only thing capped is the entry field in FRED.  Theoretically you should be able to edit the mission in notepad and set the special hits shield value and it should work. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

And just to prove my point I set up a really simple test mission with one capship shooting an other capship.
Shields of the target set to 5000 and hp 50000. Target died in 20 seconds
Then with 10000 shields and same hp, target was destroyed in 25~30 seconds
Then with 15000 shields, 25~30 seconds
50000 shields, 25~30 seconds.

Well, believe it or not, there is none. I don't need test missions, I looked it up in the code to make sure. There is no cap. The shield strength is loaded into a float which in gaming terms has pretty much unlimited size. The only thing that is capped is the entry field for special hitpoints in FRED. THAT could be increased, but it has nothing to do with the value in the table.

And even without the code I can confirm that this isn't capped from our own experience since pretty much any capship in WC Saga has more than 10000 shields.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
File isn't corrupt on my end.  Try downloading it again.  
Naturally I already tried redownloading it. I keep geting a corrupt file.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:22:58 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!