Poll

What CPU do you use?

Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel Pentium M
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Celeron
Intel Pentium 3, Pentium 2 and below (post exact specs so we can laugh)
AMD Phenom 2
AMD Phenom 1
AMD Athlon 2
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Turion
Classic AMD Athlon and below (post specs so we can laugh)
Something wierd (post architecture type and speed so we can stand in awe of your 1337 level)
AMD Athlon XP M
AMD Semperon (can't forget about you :P)
Intel Core (WTF, do "Core" things even exist?)
Intel Core Duo
Intel Pentium D
Intel Core i7
Intel Core i5
Intel Core i3

Author Topic: What CPU do you use?  (Read 13078 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Nope turns out that my processor is 4 cores, but in a native dual core design. The native dual core slight redesign means i'll never be able to activate the other two cores. Advanced clock calibration enablement has done nothing for me.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
E6600. God, that processor was so awesome at the time - Great performance. Gonna move to an I7-based system now, probably with an I7 930 processor.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
You have fun with yet another intel core 2 duo/quad/or more re-release. It's the one reason why i just stuck with my intel core 2 duo laptop when i had one, and was very unexcited about the release of the core i7 and so on.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
If the i7 was octo-core, I would be excited, but as it turns out, it's going to be quad-core with HT, so yeah. :rolleyes:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Everyone keeps stacking on more and more cores. It gets old after a while.

SMBFD

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I just realized, in 20 years we are going to have hundred(s) core processors.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
How small will they be by then? :eek:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Processor die sizes keep shrinking down at very rapid rate. This is great for less electricity consumption and heat output as well as being able to shove more processors onto a chip.

Manufacturers have currently gotten stuff down to 35nanometers. At the end of the next 5 years or a little bit sooner we ought to get down to 1nanometer sizes.

SMBFD

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't think my excuse for a brain can comprehend how small a nanometer is... :nervous:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 running at the stock 1.8ghz and under load at 54 degrees.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Core 2 Quad Q9650 (3GHz)
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Here's a question for the more technically-minded out there: at what point does the addition of more cores become pretty much superfluous for anything but extremely high-end rendering/graphics work and the like?  When I was helping my family buy a new Dell a year or so ago, I had the option of getting a Core 2 Quad, but I decided to save the $100 or so and go with a Core 2 Duo because I figured that anything more would pretty much be a waste...and indeed, the system runs so fast while performing daily tasks that I feel like I made the right decision.  Are there really all that many applications out there that can fully take advantage of four or more cores, and would they garner that much of a speed boost for more mundane activities?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Two cores is good enough for most purposes. There are a handful of games out there that benefit from more (FSX, SupCom, WoW, GTA4 are a few I can think of), but the vast majority don't, especially FPSs. A single core is enough for basic office/internet programs, but anything sold today has at least two cores so that is realistically the minimum.

Even many computation programs that are ideally suited for multiple cores have a hard time using more than two. I have almost never seen Mathematica or Matlab use more than two cores with the built-in functions, and usually it's only one core.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I always like two cores or at least HT cause then runaway processes can't freeze your whole system by going 100%.  They just sit at 50 until I kill them.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
jr2 made a very valid point. There was this one time when my school computers were infected with the username virus. However, because the older computers had dual cores on HT, and the newer ones had quad cores on HT, the virus only succeeded in holding up half of one of the CPUs. In other words, it had almost no effect on system performance whatsoever.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Hmm, that is a good point.  I guess I've noticed the same thing on my machine, since I'm running a P4 3.0 GHz with HT.  My system comes to what's essentially a complete stop when something goes haywire, but I'm just about always able to recover.  Two cores would definitely be even better in that regard.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
jr2 made a very valid point. There was this one time when my school computers were infected with the username virus. However, because the older computers had dual cores on HT, and the newer ones had quad cores on HT, the virus only succeeded in holding up half of one of the CPUs. In other words, it had almost no effect on system performance whatsoever.

Wait, what?

Older computers with dual cores and HT? What processor?

And the new ones are Core i7? What kind of school do you go to?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The older computers had Intel Core Duos, if I remember correctly. The newer ones have quad-core Intel Xeons.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Core Duos don't have HT.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Like I said, my memory has its failings. I know they had HT enabled, and I know I saw the word "Core" on the top of the case, so if Core Duos don't have HT, it should then be Core 2 Duos.
My blog

MP-Ryan