Poll

What CPU do you use?

Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel Pentium M
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Celeron
Intel Pentium 3, Pentium 2 and below (post exact specs so we can laugh)
AMD Phenom 2
AMD Phenom 1
AMD Athlon 2
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Turion
Classic AMD Athlon and below (post specs so we can laugh)
Something wierd (post architecture type and speed so we can stand in awe of your 1337 level)
AMD Athlon XP M
AMD Semperon (can't forget about you :P)
Intel Core (WTF, do "Core" things even exist?)
Intel Core Duo
Intel Pentium D
Intel Core i7
Intel Core i5
Intel Core i3

Author Topic: What CPU do you use?  (Read 13074 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Xeon X3350 (same as Q9450 but was $50 cheaper when both came out)
MacBook Pro with a 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo
Lenovo Y550 with a Core 2 Duo T6500 @2.1 GHz
Athlon XP 2800+ in the basement
And for S&Gs, I might try to get FSO running on my P2 450 with dual Voodoo 2s in SLI (that's right, the _original_ SLI *****es)

Btw, I call shenanigans on the 3500+ XP, never was such a chip was there?  I mean maybe there's a 3200+ overclocked or something, but they never sold a 3500+ XP chip I didn't think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Fix0r3d. If I missed anything else mainstream let me know.

You forgot the i7. :p I have a 920 at 4.1ghz.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
I have one of those historical original Phenoms which supposedly nobody bought. A Phenom 9950 overclocked to 3,0 GHz to be precise. It's plenty fast for everything I do.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Using a Core2 6600 at 2.4Ghz, should be upgrading soon though :)

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e

Offline Davros

Q6600000
(However many zeros it has)

2x2.66 ghz

She serves me well and her name is Tanya . . .

Could you elaborate on that? If it has two cores it's not a Q6600 but an E6600.

it's not a q6600 as that runs @ 2.4ghz

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ ( 3100 MHz )

My last processor was 6000+ like yours, but I recall it not being 3.1GHz. Maybe it goes by powers of 2 like bytes and that means maybe you rounded off 3072 to the nearest 100. This says 3.0GHz: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/463/1/. My processor before that was the ancient Athlon 2600+ and before that was the even more ancient Pentium III 500MHz, though I looked up data on P3 before to compare it to the 6000+ and found that 500MHz is faster than a normal P3.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:53:16 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Phenom II X3 710
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Core 2 Quad at 2.4 Ghz, great speed. Now only if I had the ram for 64-bit Windows 7, it would be excellent.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Fix0r3d. If I missed anything else mainstream let me know.

You forgot the i7. :p I have a 920 at 4.1ghz.

I thought that was still under the Core brand.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Core i7-920.  Stock speeds.  I'll get around to OC'ing eventually.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Ok, well I added the core i7
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Btw, I call shenanigans on the 3500+ XP, never was such a chip was there?  I mean maybe there's a 3200+ overclocked or something, but they never sold a 3500+ XP chip I didn't think.

maybe its not an xp, i really don't remember what it is, i just know its a single core 64 bit 2.2 ghz amd cpu with a 3500+ designation. it sucks so much i let my mom use it. its all x86(-64) to me.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ ( 3100 MHz )

My last processor was 6000+ like yours, but I recall it not being 3.1GHz. Maybe it goes by powers of 2 like bytes and that means maybe you rounded off 3072 to the nearest 100. This says 3.0GHz: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/463/1/. My processor before that was the ancient Athlon 2600+ and before that was the even more ancient Pentium III 500MHz, though I looked up data on P3 before to compare it to the 6000+ and found that 500MHz is faster than a normal P3.

Nothing that fancy. It's simply that there are different versions being sold with same product name. Windsor versions of Athlon 64 X2 6000+ are 3000 MHz (processor numbers ADX6000IAA6CZ and ADA6000IAA6CZ), while Brisbane version of Athlon 64 X2 6000+ is 3100 MHz ( ADV6000IAA5DO (G2) ).

Aside from clock speed difference, Windsor versions have 2x1024 KB L2-cache, while Brisbane version has 2x512KB L2-cache. So as a whole, Windsor variant would probably be the better CPU in complex tasks that require a lot of instructions to be used, while on simpler processing the Brisbane variant would be a whopping 3.33 % faster...

So yeah, the Windsor would probably be better as a whole, but the Brisbane version was pretty much the only one available at the time at decent price, and it works well enough for me.  :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Btw, I call shenanigans on the 3500+ XP, never was such a chip was there?  I mean maybe there's a 3200+ overclocked or something, but they never sold a 3500+ XP chip I didn't think.

maybe its not an xp, i really don't remember what it is, i just know its a single core 64 bit 2.2 ghz amd cpu with a 3500+ designation. it sucks so much i let my mom use it. its all x86(-64) to me.

Then it's Athlon 64, the XP line was all 32bit only stuff.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Core 2 quad Q9450 2.66 GHz with 12MB L2 cache in my desktop.
Core 2 duo T6400 2 GHz in my laptop.
Athlon 64 3200+ 2 GHz in my fileserver.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Intel Centrino Duo (2GB RAM) with the wonderful Nvidia Go 7600. This shouldn't be bad at all, though with Vista its beat-down quite a bit...

...Don't buy computers from Best Buy. Go manufacturer direct!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Btw, I call shenanigans on the 3500+ XP, never was such a chip was there?  I mean maybe there's a 3200+ overclocked or something, but they never sold a 3500+ XP chip I didn't think.

i always did find amd's naming conventions confusing. im sure there was a time i understood them, but ive been an intel whore for the past several years and that information was no doubt erased by pot smoke and replaced by motorhead lyrics.

also it turns out that suckey intel laptop was actually a suckey amd laptop. an xp 2800+ i think.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

i always did find amd's naming conventions confusing. im sure there was a time i understood them, but ive been an intel whore for the past several years and that information was no doubt erased by pot smoke and replaced by motorhead lyrics.

also it turns out that suckey intel laptop was actually a suckey amd laptop. an xp 2800+ i think.

If memory serves there was officially a 3500+ chip which was the 3200+ which had been stressed by AMD to make sure it could cope with 3500+ speeds (probably about 3ghz in real speed) but that was a long time ago i think around about the time I got my 64
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Atom and ARM, I don't qualify for the list. :lol:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.