Author Topic: I'm firin' muh lazor!  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm firin' muh lazor!
Didn't know if you guys had seen this thing.  I'm of two minds, yeah it's freaking cool as hell, but it's also incredibly dangerous and I have no idea why it's so easily available.  Unless they are trying to arm us against the upcoming alien invasion in 2012?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: I'm firin' muh lazor!
Enjoy it while it lasts, Lucas has already threatened to litigate
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Freespacemods.net
I'm going to try to pick one up I think. Just for kicks.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I still say I have no idea why it's so cheap.  Several mW lasers in that spectrum cost upwards of $1000 so why is this one so affordable now?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Cuz' it's just a flashlight  :P

Or it requires plutonium batteries*

*Batteries not included
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
Freaking cool as hell, if I had the money, I'd buy one, as I trust myself with it.

shouldn't be that easily avaliable though :\
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Vigilante justice is going to get an amazing boost in activity.  So is random murder.

But, you know.  Whichever.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
The fact that stuff like this even exists for public consumption fundamentally scares me.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
If they've upped the power that much and lowered the production costs enough to cause it to be that much less than the previous model, there will be some kind of restriction on it eventually.  I found this on HardOCP today, but I doubt the general public knows much, if anything, about it's existence.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The fact that stuff like this even exists for public consumption fundamentally scares me.

I dont see how it can be any worse than those black market AK-47's the gangbangers love so much.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline watsisname

Um, wat?  How the hell do they sell a *blue* laser of one THOUSAND milliwatts power for that cheap?  (Claims to be <$200).  Usually even a 100mW blue laser goes for thousands of dollars.
* watsisname is confused :confused:

Edit:  Oooh, I see, it's some new type of blue laser diode.  Iiinteresting.  And this is pretty scary stuff:

Prolonged exposure to blue laser light can alter and have a diminishing effect on a person's perception of the color green.Patients who were treated for being exposed too long to intense blue laser light in the milliwatt range were only able to perceive the green color in a period of about 4-6 months.

The blue wavelength can cause a distinct biochemical action in the release of free radicals which are then effectively absorbed by red blood cells in the capillaries. Blue laser light, 445nm or 470nm is absorbed more effectively by retinal tissue compared to 532nm green or 650nm red laser light.

:shaking:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:31:00 am by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Batteries not included ;7

Where are the restrictions on this thing?

Although a magnifying glass angled just right can cause comparable if not more damage in retrospect.

****ING ANTS
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something

I dont see how it can be any worse than those black market AK-47's the gangbangers love so much.
It's a lot worse in that your average idiot suburbanite teen probably has no idea how to get his hands on a black-market AK-47, yet could purchase this laser without any issues and start shining it in his neighbor's windows just for kicks.  I mean, you could be sitting in your own house, happen to look outside in the wrong direction at the wrong time, and wind up with permanent eye damage.  That's ****ed up.

Offline Shade

For that matter, with a 1W laser you may not even need to turn your head - reflections could well be enough to do damage. 1W is a very, very serious amount of power in the context of lasers, and is really not something you should be able to get your hands on without a permit.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I agree with those in this post that are concerned about this, as has been pointed out, most people really don't understand the damage of simply pointing one of these things at other people. I'm not even certain would such a laser could used for other than leaving scars on people you don't like. It's called an arctic laser, and I can see the use of something like that in the arctic, where it would be better than a chain-saw if you are trapped in a boulder field, but you don't see chain-saws being passed off as kids toys.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
burning people is a-1 supar and every kid should have the opportunity to do so

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Seeing as I still have a scar on the back of my hand where someone in the metalwork class decided to hold an iron rod under an oxy-acetylene burner and then put the hot end on my hand as I worked over 20 years ago, I'm inclined to disagree :p

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I would almost consider getting one, except I don't have a gun safe to lock it up in yet.  And I don't think they sell trigger guards for lasers yet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
New forms of Chinese torture are being invented as we speak!  :lol:  But seriously... if you have one of these in the house and your kids' friends come over and think it would be fun to blind the cat... :doubt:  Well... then again... it's not like pencil torches aren't readily available and they can do just as much damage.  And they only cost $10...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
New forms of Chinese torture are being invented as we speak!  :lol:  But seriously... if you have one of these in the house and your kids' friends come over and think it would be fun to blind the cat... :doubt:  Well... then again... it's not like pencil torches aren't readily available and they can do just as much damage.  And they only cost $10...
AFAIK, pen lasers don't really burn skin or set things on fire.