Author Topic: video card question  (Read 4443 times)

Offline AlienTermite

• I love... lamp?
Hey everyone,

I have a quick graphics card question. I'm getting a new computer soon, and I'm thinking about getting either an ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB or the 5870 1 GB. Is FSO compatable with these cards? I know there have been a lot of issues with some ATI cards and drivers and whatnot... so I just wanted to see. If not I'll look into a similar Nvidia card. I'd hate to get a new PC and not be able to play Freespace!

Thanks!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

Offline AlienTermite

• I love... lamp?
Cool! Thanks!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
out of curiosity, why those two particular models?  there is a HUGE difference between the two.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline AlienTermite

• I love... lamp?
Actually what I meant to say was the HD 5770 or the 5870. Its a money issue more than anything else. The 5870 is definitely what I want but it might be a little overpriced for what I need... the 5770 is cheaper and still a great card. If I knew the 5870 was worth the money over the 5770 then I would go with it no question.

Any opinions on those two cards?

Got a 5870 Vapor-X - I regret absolutely nothing.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Love my 5850, but I gotta tell ya, it's not a huge leap over the much cheaper 4870.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
ok that makes more sense.  the 5770 is basically a 4870 with the newer shaders and directX and whatnot.  FSO ran perfectly on my 4850 with 3.6.10, and only has minor problems with stuff like Blue Planet with 3.6.12
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Actually what I meant to say was the HD 5770 or the 5870. Its a money issue more than anything else. The 5870 is definitely what I want but it might be a little overpriced for what I need... the 5770 is cheaper and still a great card. If I knew the 5870 was worth the money over the 5770 then I would go with it no question.

Any opinions on those two cards?

If this is your dilemma, I'd recommend you get an nVidia Geforce 460 1gb.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
ok that makes more sense.  the 5770 is basically a 4870 with the newer shaders and directX and whatnot.  FSO ran perfectly on my 4850 with 3.6.10, and only has minor problems with stuff like Blue Planet with 3.6.12
if a 4850 has problems for you with BP, i pity ATI.

Vuws his XFX GTX260 XXX
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Why did you buy an overclocked 9800?

When the 260/280 cards came out, they were better then the 4850/4870 (........sort of) respectively, however; the 280 was ~5-30% better than the 4870, the 4870 was 30% cheaper than the 280. The 260 cost the same as the 4870, the 4870 creamed the 260, and the 260 beat the 4850 by a small margin in some games and a big one in others, for price vs performance the cards were once again about equal.

But ehh... the 260 is just an overclocked 9800 :I
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:12:34 pm by QuantumDelta »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
i will just say that in this regard that you are an uneducated idiot. GTX260 is based on the GT200 chip, while the 9800 is based on the OLDER evolution of the G80, and the whole GF9xxx series is based on chips from the G92a/b, G94a/b, G96a/b, G98 iterations of the basic G80 chip which premiered with the first 8800 cards.

the card that you are thinking of is the GTS250, which is based on the G92b chip (the one most often used in 9800 series cards) and is just a matter of clever marketing on nvidia's side.

and overall, all of this doesnt even matter at all, since i got it extra cheap used, warranty less, etc. which was a bonus, since the card has horrid heat problems with default fan speeds etc.

also, i doubt that your precious 4870's "creamed" my gpu as hard as you say. they are in the comparable performance area and, if i remeber correctly, 275's and 285's ate and spit out your precious 4870's all over.

(also, note i'm a nvidia fanboy, and at the time of getting this card i wasnt actually paying anything for it. if i were buying i likely would have gone ati, since the prices are extra inflated here in croatia..)

anywho, flamewar on?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
So... I bought a 260GTX like a year ago... Everyone says I should have bought an ATI counterpart?
EDIT:
Cause I like my game performace so far for the price I paid.
el hombre vicio...

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken