Author Topic: The reimergence of a legend....  (Read 14265 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The reimergence of a legend....
The problem with the campaign strategy was simple: there was no strategy.  One to one, any FS2 terran capship is more than a match for its shivan counterpart if they are fighting broadside (except possible cruisers; haven't tested Aeolus/Rakshasa and the Lilith is stupidly powerful for its size), but they are hopelessly outmatched from the front.  The colossus is actually better armed than the Sathanas (if the firing delays were better matched), but all of its firepower is spread along parts of the ship where it is never used.  Terran strategy should consist more of flanking manuvers to exploit the known shivan weaknesses rather than simply placng ships in their path to get destroyed.  And one more question: why are the juggernauts faster than the smaller, less massive destroyers?  Given that FS2 has no physics, there is no reason why a Hecate with all of its engine power could not at least properly match a clumsy and bulky sathanas in speed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2002, 10:03:55 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
    • http://hometown.aol.com/kabal150/index.html
In terms of the Freespace World, the Shivans have much better technology than the Terrans. The reactor(s) on the Sathanas is alot more powerful than anything the Terrans have, hence explaining the speed issue. The broadside attack problem is that alot of stupid people are admirals and alot of smart people are flying hercs and erinyi.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
  • Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
If you run the numbers correctly, the Collossus actually has more collective firepower than a Sathanas.

It is because the Sathanas has it's primary beams all mounted in a forward firing arc compared to the multi-directional firing arc of the Collossus.  There is also the fire times to consider, the Sathanas's main beams re-fire alot fast than those on the Collossus.

Though I have to agree that the construction time of the Collossus is just ridiculous.  I can understand if it was delayed due to technological developments specifically for the project, but theres no way conventional construction like that would take twenty years, even is a good number of the parts where being specially manufactured (such as 20 individual pressed and treated layers of molybduram armour sheathing).
Thats no moon... hes dropped his pants!

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
Originally posted by elorran
[B... Though I have to agree that the construction time of the Collossus is just ridiculous.  I can understand if it was delayed due to technological developments specifically for the project, but theres no way conventional construction like that would take twenty years, even is a good number of the parts where being specially manufactured (such as 20 individual pressed and treated layers of molybduram armour sheathing). [/B]

A war with the NTF, the mop up of the HOL, and the Hades Rebellion probably all interfered with the Col's construction.
Soon the kabal will rule...soon....everyone.....will....DIE!Kabal's House (Samples of my work)

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
  • Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Perhaps, but even events like that shouldn't upset very much.
Thats no moon... hes dropped his pants!

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
During those wars the GTVA probably increased production rates on warships. Workers would have been drawn away from the Col.

THe Collossus goes 25 m/s as well.  THe Sathanas and Collossus go faster than destroyers and corvettes.

IMO, the capsjips in Freespace should go twice or three times faster than theri current speed
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I would also have liked to see some more strategic decisions made during the campaign where capital ship battles are concerned; the only one I remember is in sm1-10, where they had a specific plan to down the Repulse.

Offline Vortex

For anyone who's played Rebel's Bluff, there's some good strategy right there. Goes to show how good the NTF are hehe...
Proud member of the Combathawks and Silver Talon Wing
100th gany victim
143rd person to reach commodore (without cheating)
------------------------
SPAM!  SPAM! SPAM! Hit your post button pilot! hehehe... :drevil:
------------------------
"To have may be taken from you; to have had, never. Far better to have tasted love before dying than to die alone."

Vintar

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Another reason why the GTVA would most likely not waste money on another Colossus in the near future, would be that they HAVE another grand project to develop -  the Delta Serpentis - Solaris Knossos device. I imagine it would require quite a bit of resources, research and money.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

If I were them I'd combine the two - create a huge ship Knossos capabilities, much more useful and more powerful then anything the Shivans thusfar have.

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by GrandAdmiralAbaht
THe Collossus goes 25 m/s as well.  THe Sathanas and Collossus go faster than destroyers and corvettes.

IMO, the capsjips in Freespace should go twice or three times faster than theri current speed

The corvettes go actually 30m/s, but it Colossus and Sathans go faster than most cruisers. That's pretty odd.

Also, if they would go three times faster than now, and fighters wouldn't, they would go as fast as fighters. :p But of course fighters should go faster, too, then. ;)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Redfang

Also, if they would go three times faster than now, and fighters wouldn't, they would go as fast as fighters. :p But of course fighters should go faster, too, then. ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The cruiser speeds are a bit varied; the Leviathan goes at an anemic 10m/s while the Mentu can reach 35m/s. :p

For anyone who's played Rebel's Bluff, there's some good strategy right there. Goes to show how good the NTF are hehe...

bah, that shows how stupid both sides are, not how smart the NTF is. :p The NTF is stupid for scheduling a meeting in some remote corner system, and one which they would need to pass through major GTVA systems to get to, while the GTVA is stupid for not taking advantage of this and ambushing the ships in Beta Aquilae or something. :p (and why are some ship names misspelled? :p :D)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2002, 11:01:46 am by 296 »

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
I think that if you speed everything up, the game would become unmanageable - it'd seem too fast, and you'd go crazy. Or am I being stupid, and should the speed all be relative? :confused:

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I think that if you speed everything up, the game would become unmanageable - it'd seem too fast, and you'd go crazy. Or am I being stupid, and should the speed all be relative?

Yeah i agree, it wouldn't be very fun if we were all trying to keep from hitting each other in a dog fight flying at 160 m/s
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
It would get managable over time.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Well i guess if everything was flying that fast it would but then we would be facing the same dillemma because it wouldn't make a difference
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Kabal

• Where's my Node?!
Yes, a vicous never ending cycle.

Personally i don't mind the freespace ships being slow, they are easier to pilot.  Plus if they went faster then the game would loose all impresion of scale.  Imagine if it only took you 1 second to fly along the collosus, it would remove the grand scale of a battle.

I think corvetes are faster than terran cruisers since they are newer.

Plus when you can do subspace jumps, why would cap ships need to travel that fast anyway?  Sure they could go 30000 miles an hour if they had huge rocket engines on them, but the amount of fuel needed would be impractical.
pete

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"