Author Topic: Holy crap HLP has color again  (Read 17582 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Holy crap HLP has color again
I think I'll start posting in blue underlined text.

Go ahead, it's not like the links on HLP are blue anyway.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Go ahead, it's not like the links on HLP are blue anyway.

Thank you for the adjustment, this is most profitable.

Next we need to find a little jpeg of the link image to insert in all our posts!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I strongly dislike you people.

Offline iamzack

I like them. It makes links stand out.

i hate them and i hate you
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Qent

So I learned in school why that color is so hard to read. Doesn't change the fact that my eyes hurt now. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thank you for the adjustment, this is most profitable.

Next we need to find a little jpeg of the link image to insert in all our posts!
Don't make me put you in the Firewalled Users group. :p

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I only see the Meeting Hall in the list of Group Memberships. Is that a hidden group?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, I once threatened to suggest everyone to pick their own color to post with. Perhaps then we'd get some actual rules concerning use of colors in these forums. Yes, I strongly dislike how colors are used by Black Wolf, Mobius and Bengal Tiger. But it seems nothing will be done about that until use of colors becomes more widespread. Since there are no rules regarding use of colors, admins can't punish you for it. If those three can use colors, so can the rest of us.

I pick red. It sticks out in dark background which I love since I'm so important.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
...seriously, man?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'll take green.

Or purple.

Which do you guys think?

Offline iamzack

i call this one!
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Naturally.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I pick this colour. You'll find that I only use it when I'm dead serious about whatever I'm writing. I do not use it that often because HLP is not a place that I expect myself to take seriously 99.99% of the time, like Dettol.

The Internet may be serious business for other people, but not for me. I will not let it be for me.

Unlike the three members that you've mentioned, Fury, who each have special colour tags for their own use, no one else has. I could use #9966CC all over the forums, but even though I memorise the hex code, I'm too lazy to use it. The same will apply for most other members.

With all due respect, Fury, you need to back off. If the issue was ignored right from the beginning, nobody will give a hoot. However, by pressing the issue, you will draw more and more attention to it, which is not always the brightest idea in the world.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well, I once threatened to suggest everyone to pick their own color to post with. Perhaps then we'd get some actual rules concerning use of colors in these forums. Yes, I strongly dislike how colors are used by Black Wolf, Mobius and Bengal Tiger. But it seems nothing will be done about that until use of colors becomes more widespread. Since there are no rules regarding use of colors, admins can't punish you for it. If those three can use colors, so can the rest of us.

I pick red. It sticks out in dark background which I love since I'm so important.

Whilst I can appreciate where you're coming from Fury (there are things apart from colours that some posters use that personally annoy the hell out of me), I think you're taking this the wrong way. I know for BW and Mobius at least that their use of colour has been for so long that I know for me at least, it would be weird if they suddenly ceased their use of it. But I know for sure that the three of them don't use colours just to irritate other forum members.

While you said earlier that you find it irritating, I do believe that the posters who use colour have said in response that they're not going to stop (correct me if I'm wrong, I've just been reading this on and off), and as such, I think that of all the things that could add to the drama on HLP as of late, colour is a topic that seems to me at least as a really trivial thing to get people annoyed over.

If those three can use colors, so can the rest of us.
A sentence like that makes me think that you view their use of colours as a deliberate attempt to draw some kind of exclusive attention to themselves, but I'm quite sure that that's not the intent that they have with it at all. They're all nice people and I'm sure none of them want to tick you off every time that they log on and post. 

And to some extent, I agree with Androgeos also, although I wouldn't have worded it like that. Colour is just like all the other tags on this forum, and they can be abused by anyone, but by promoting that kind of abuse to further your cause isn't the best way I can see to go about it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
MINE, THIS ONE IS MINE!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Colour is just like all the other tags on this forum, and they can be abused by anyone, but by promoting that kind of abuse to further your cause isn't the best way I can see to go about it.
What abuse? There's no rules concerning use of colors, hence there's no abuse either. I could add italics or bold to my posts, but it'd just slow me down even more than adding red does. If I want to color my posts red, I can, it's my choice. You just have to live with it.

Seriously though, it's goddamn annoying and an eyesore but since the point is not getting home the conventional means...

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
That's true, but we already know of your opinion and as Andro indirectly said, will just make us a little more annoyed, rather than getting publicity for the issue of persistent colour usage of longtime forum members. Or at least, that's the way I can see it happening.

Okay, I don't want to get too involved in this, but all I want to say is that I don't see this ending well, from my point of view. I'm not going to try and be a one man army and tell you stop with all of my might, but I am going to recommend that you try sorting this out personally through PMs with the three members, rather than this. I still think we can have a HLP without rules on colour. And as someone who comes here on a regular basis, I really don't want for there to be a grand colour fistfight on the forum.

And if you've already tried that, then I guess the ball's in the admin crowd's court only, then.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:49:35 am by Dilmah G »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
O rly?

Mine.

This one too

All seriousness. So we have a few select users that have decided to express a personality to their user space by differentiating themselves by post colors. But ohs noes, it's not regulated to lock step and somebody is out of joint about it.

Whatever. I expected better than this out of somebody like you Fury. The attitude strikes me as bitter and petty and makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:34:15 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I feel like I should post something here, but I'm not sure what it should be yet. So forgive me if this comes out a bit stream-of-consciousnessish.

I have been doing this for years, and 99% of the people on the forum have never complained. It's not disruptive, it's not hard to read, it's just different. Now, compare that to what you're doing - deliberately choosing a colour that's hard to read for the specific purpose of making your post hard to read, hoping that by being difficult, you'll get a rule changed. That's the equivalent, in an admittedly less dramatic fashion, to trying to get cricket bats banned by going around bashing people over the head with one.

But you know what? I say go for it. I can hardly sit here and tell other people not to post in a specific colour, because that would be first order hypocrisy. For that matter, if everyone chose a colour, as long as those colours weren't hard to read, how would that make anyone's viewing experience worse at HLP? And snce it'd be no worse, why should there be a rule against it? Of course, the operative part of that sentence is "weren't hard to read", which I suspect is not your aim, but what the hell, it's not unreadable. the /me tags already make posts bright red, and bold besides. But the most mportant difference I reckon isn't the colour, it's the underlying motivation. Mine is... well, I don't even remember. I like it, and now it's just habit. I still like it. My motivations are essentially positive. Yours are openly negative. But there is one key element I think...

If those three can use colors, so can the rest of us.

You're damned right. Go nuts. :D

[EDIT]
...getting publicity for the issue of pretentious colour usage of longtime forum members.

:(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:36:17 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
As I've said before, I don't have a problem with it as long as I can read it, if I can't read it, I don't, and the poster defeats their own purpose. I don't have any problem with those who post in colour on here, because I don't have any trouble reading their posts.