Author Topic: Medals  (Read 20865 times)

Offline CAP1331

Well, resolution-wise I'll stick to mjn.mixaels advise. If there are new resolutions added in the future I can always re-render the scene or I can share the original model to someone willing to do it, but he will have to find his way around spanish-named materials and there are 63 of them.
I think this model version is final, I'll just show the changed parts.
PS: I know the swords over the medal of honor are not symmetrical, but it's because one is crossed over the other as real swords would be.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline CAP1331

I finished texturing the empty box.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Looks pretty good! The edges of all the border detail are awfully sharp, what would you think about chamfering those a bit?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CAP1331

Do you mean the maroon, grey or the wooden parts or all of them?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All of them, I think.

Offline CAP1331

Chamfered version. Looking at it, chamfers may be too big, but is this what you had in mind?

Offline Luis Dias

It still seems a little polygonal to me, but it's getting better and better. I think that your work is awesome, specially the 2d medals. Congrats

Offline CAP1331

Well, this is what I've managed to do so far. Any suggestions? Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Lookin good to me!

I don't really suggestions. I'd be good with how it is now with a better render/lighting.

Offline Kolgena

Hmm. Ace buttons look really angular to me. It doesn't bother me that much though.

The medal board needs bevels around the medal "dents". That way, the medals look recessed into the board somewhat.

Order of Galatea and Intelligence cross are a bit on the thick side. It exaggerates sharpness that wasn't there in retail.

SOC honor medal still looks kinda off, maybe because the bottom edge isn't sharp enough/is too round? (Maybe it's the weird-looking lion on it. I just noticed that the rear rump is quite big and sticks out a fair ways. If you shrink it and bring it into the body, it may look better proportioned AND give you enough space to tweak the silver bit of the medal.)

Otherwise, excellent.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
To think that you posted those images a while back, and now seeing these.

So glad you decided to step around here CAP'.

Kudos to u :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline CAP1331

Hi guys, I'm a little occupied this weak with RL but I wanted to reply your posts. I don't think I will be working on this anytime this week, but don't worry, I will finish it. That's a promise.

@Rodo: Thanks, I like being here and helping out.

@Kolgena: When I was doing the box I did add some bevels around some medals but I didn't show that 'cause I didn't like the results and it was a lot of work to do. It looked over-the-top to me. As of the medals you mention, I'm not going to modified them, firstly because that means I have to redo them at Sketchup, reexport them and retexture them and I'm not totally sure of what you want and secondly 'cause I like them the way they are. I don't like the original SOC Service Medallion, which is one of the reasons why I started redoing this medals. I don't want to sound rude, and if I did, I apologize in advance.

@Mjn.Mixael: I will start tweaking lights positions and render options, but it's going to take a while. That's 'cause everytime I change light positions it just gets worse. I can't seem to find good light settings. Also, each medium quality rendering takes one hour or so in my poor laptop. I've calculated a rendering time of 6 days for a supposed "fine" quality. I will try to get more CPU power to do the final rendering, 'cause I need my laptop for work and can't afford to have it rendering for a week. Any lightening and rendering advise will be gratefully welcomed.

Offline Kolgena

Yeah, I totally see where you're coming from, and that's cool.

@Mjn.Mixael: I will start tweaking lights positions and render options, but it's going to take a while. That's 'cause everytime I change light positions it just gets worse. I can't seem to find good light settings. Also, each medium quality rendering takes one hour or so in my poor laptop. I've calculated a rendering time of 6 days for a supposed "fine" quality. I will try to get more CPU power to do the final rendering, 'cause I need my laptop for work and can't afford to have it rendering for a week. Any lightening and rendering advise will be gratefully welcomed.
What if you gave one of us the file and have us render it instead?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Who do you mean by "us"? You only need 1 person to render it. Also, I'd be hesitant to hand over the source files to a lot of people around here to get a render... As soon as you hand those out, you lose all control over your work. People complain about too many things and who knows what any given person might change without consent.

Perhaps that sounds a bit harsh... I'm just speaking as the artist I am... Sorry.  :blah:

Merely for rendering purposes of course, it need not be even someone who understands Sketchup or whatever program(s) he's using, I'm just saying that when it comes to the final render, he doesn't have to do it all by himself.

Offline CAP1331

It's me again... I'm back on working over this thing I and will try to make it all by myself, just for the sake of personal growth and learning. But, if I don't manage to do it after some trial and error, I will just put the models in here in some easy-to-share format and off it goes, somebody else will render it. I don't want to let all the previous work go to the sink. However, I've managed to get permission at work to use some unused CPU cycles over the weekend and I intent to used it. Hopefully, my next post will have good pics attached. :nod:

Offline CAP1331

Lattest atempt.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
We've got a winner! :yes:
el hombre vicio...