Author Topic: Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella  (Read 57253 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella
What. This is partially your fault, you know.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella
Hello there people. Sorry for the massive offline ! Aniway i was just wondering where is the link to the interview. mI cant seem to find it !
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Might be helpful to include a link to the original post in the first post of this thread.

We could also just delete this thread alltogether...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Curious: How many of you are actually taking the FS3ish type stuff as canon material? IMHO it's all really interesting to see what was planned, but to be honest using this stuff as more than a "so that's what would've happened in FS3" seems silly.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella
It's a silly question, a false duality, meaningless to ask and answer.

This information conveys FreeSpace 2's lead writer's recollections of plans for FreeSpace 3. That's what it is. No more, no less.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Not really. Can't remember where I saw it but I remember someone talking about how their campaign is technically confirmed, judging by the contents of the interview. I forget the exact words, but I found it disconcerting nonetheless. Still, it's not like Jason Scott's going back and saying things like "by the way terran command is gay," so it's no big deal; I was just wondering if anyone was giving special credence to campaigns that manage to not conflict.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I remember Battuta saying that Inferno AND BP fit under criteria; shall we please let sleeping dogs lie?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not really. Can't remember where I saw it but I remember someone talking about how their campaign is technically confirmed, judging by the contents of the interview. I forget the exact words, but I found it disconcerting nonetheless. Still, it's not like Jason Scott's going back and saying things like "by the way terran command is gay," so it's no big deal; I was just wondering if anyone was giving special credence to campaigns that manage to not conflict.

No, Jesus, people keep thinking this and I have no idea why.

People whine and *****ed in the leadup to the interview that some campaigns would be ruled out because they wouldn't mesh with the information revealed. So I posted a leadin indicating that it didn't contradict any campaign I was aware of. People then freaked out because people are by nature whimperingly territorial. People take their ten-year-old space opera so seriously that they're looking for an excuse to defecate a steaming mess of drama at the slightest prod, thus any event of significance is inevitably an opening for moaning and crying.

Anyone who feels like some campaigns are now better than others is a ****ing mongoloid.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:31:26 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
No, Jesus, people keep thinking this and I have no idea why.

People whine and *****ed in the leadup to the interview that some campaigns would be ruled out because they wouldn't mesh with the information revealed. So I posted a leadin indicating that it didn't contradict any campaign I was aware of. People then freaked out because people are by nature whimperingly territorial. People take their ten-year-old space opera so seriously that they're looking for an excuse to defecate a steaming mess of drama at the slightest prod, thus any event of significance is inevitably an opening for moaning and crying.

Anyone who feels like some campaigns are now better than others is a ****ing mongoloid.

Goodness gracious, there is no need for such hostility. But the very reason that you felt you needed to mention there were no contradictions, as opposed to the interview's contents not being canon, implies that should any campaign be made that does contradict the interview that they would be contradicting official material. And, as your rather untoward post notes, this is not true.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Like I said, anyone who reads that implication in there should know better and is thinking at a level where I question the value of a dialogue with them.

This doesn't necessarily apply to you since you didn't freak out about it.

EDIT: look what I'm saying is if after ten years of discussion and repeatedly coming to the conclusion that whether or not an FS3 is ever made, work (x) will still have merit and be creative, anyone who suddenly reverses and starts freaking out about the lead writer's reminiscences about the story for a game which was never made somehow devaluing their work is ten years a fool.

This information conveys FreeSpace 2's lead writer's recollections of plans for FreeSpace 3. That's what it is. No more, no less.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:16:51 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Nuclear1

This interview doesn't mean anything towards validating or invalidating any campaign out there.

I'll say this, "Volition credibility" might not have been the words I would have used, since it does seem to imply some sort of :v: stamp of approval for certain campaigns.  But when it comes down to it, not even Jason Scott knew what Volition wanted to do with Freespace 3.  In a lot of ways, we're as much in the dark as they are when it comes to the origin of the Shivans, Bosch's intentions, or the return to Sol.  What the team had was nothing but conjecture, the result of some brainstorming that the writers and design team did shortly after FS2 was released and at a time when there was still some hope that FS3 would have been made.

What we got from Jason was a vague recollection of what V wanted to do with the franchise if they had gotten the ability to make the sequel.  I'm sure if we picked the brains of everyone on the development team (at least the writers) there would have been people there who would have proposed theories to the Shivans similar to the cornucopia of theories we've proposed over the years.  This is one man's recollection of what the team thought of several years ago, and I doubt it was the only theory on the table during the discussion for FS3.

Everyone in this community is doing what the Freespace team at V would kill to do; develop the story, improve on the hard work they did, and see their baby become the best it could be.  V obviously has great faith in us to do them proud, otherwise they never would have released the source code or given us FRED.  Just the fact that we have so many theories and so many ideas for the game is a validation of V's work to make a game that stood the test of time.  The community wouldn't be what it is today if we didn't allow for dozens of sometimes conflicting ideas about the story. 

No one should be turned off by this interview, and no one should be discouraged from promoting their own ideas.  Enough people working over a number of years on a similar platform are bound to come up with similar ideas;  from what Jason remembers of the FS3 brainstorming, one of those ideas just happened to have some of its elements developed in Blue Planet and other mods by happenchance. 

tl;dr:  There's still nothing official from V about Freespace 3's story.  All we have is a recollection of some brainstorming and conjecture.  The only thing V has given its stamp of approval to is the community at large for being so fanatically loyal to a video game that, in terms of franchise life, should have died out years ago.  Our conjectures and our theories have kept Freespace alive for much longer than it should have lived, and that's all that matters.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Busan

So basically the Shivans are tasked with building the Galactic Autobahn and the GTVA is getting the short stick of eminent domain so they can put in a subspace bypass? 

Everyone grab your towel.

Got the towel and E-thumb! lets go arthur!

This interview doesn't mean anything towards validating or invalidating any campaign out there.

I'll say this, "Volition credibility" might not have been the words I would have used, since it does seem to imply some sort of :v: stamp of approval for certain campaigns.

I agree completely because the preface suggests that some campaigns have become more valid, as have some ways of telling the story. Not more valid than other campaigns, just more valid or "legitimate" in general. Which is bollocks because these are all just fan works nothing more nothing less.

For example there's often been the debate that campaigns with a heavy emphasis on characters are not quite in the spirit of Freespace because it's unlike the game. The person interview implies that if the game were developed today it might have a greater emphasis on character development and so now suddenly one guy's opinion makes these character-heavy campaigns more valid. And no, the post doesn't explicitly say that. What it says is that it's a good answer for both types of campaigns because the guy likes it both ways, but that statement presumes that campaigns with little character emphasis ever needed validation in the first place. Which they never have, because it's just like freespace. In fact neither needed any sort of validation, not realistically. But I suppose in the fan community.

What it all boils to is that fans are going to make campaigns for a game they like, and people who play it will either like it or they won't and in both cases it's just their opinion nothing more because nothing we do here is "legitimate" in the sense of Freespace canon, it's just all fan-brew. Some very good fan brew, but none the less.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:08:25 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
First off, good job on the interview. Thought about doing exactly this myself a couple months ago on a whim, but never got around to it.

Glad he cleared up some of the things definitively to you guys.

Some of us, of course, knew all of this beforehand (and actually know a bit more).

Good job Bat.

well don't be a tease

Throughout the years discussing different ideas with the community, you sort of find out that people in general aren't interested in what makes sense, just that their own interpretation and deduction be correct, ie "No, it's the way I envision it to be". And as I would never be able to directly state "it's like this, this and this", anything I say just passes off as my own opinion, and I never expose the weight of what I know behind them. I've carried many people's secrets throughout these past 13 years, and have no intention of ever breaking the seal on any of them. Neither am I interested in shopping my opinions as being correct either. They're still just opinions, although perhaps with a little more information behind them than most have access to.

Again, kudos on the job.

Best post in the thread.

The take-away point from this interview, and from the "cliffhanger" of FS2 and the modding tools delivered to the community, has been creativity. It's not about getting the "right" answer to the FS2 riddle in your campaign. The perhaps unintentional "gift" of the FS franchise to its fans has been that of creativity fueled by wonder. Aside from a less mediocre profit on the game, and greater franchise deals for the series, I can't think of a better legacy Volition could have earned delivering the product they did.

Try thinking about it that way, even putting it in the context of other aspects of your lives next time you log off the forums and go to the kitchen for something to eat, take a shower, or drive to work. I guarantee you'll benefit more from it than you will from telling some newbie on the forum his new project idea sucks because it doesn't line up with what Pletcher or Scott or Kulas had in mind.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's what we've been saying for ten years, though. I would honestly be surprised to find anyone who doesn't think that.

Offline Tracer

Terran command is totally gay.

Offline Raiden

• Vassago's Dirge fanboy
    • Ministry of Truth
First off, good job on the interview. Thought about doing exactly this myself a couple months ago on a whim, but never got around to it.

Glad he cleared up some of the things definitively to you guys.

Some of us, of course, knew all of this beforehand (and actually know a bit more).

Good job Bat.

well don't be a tease

Throughout the years discussing different ideas with the community, you sort of find out that people in general aren't interested in what makes sense, just that their own interpretation and deduction be correct, ie "No, it's the way I envision it to be". And as I would never be able to directly state "it's like this, this and this", anything I say just passes off as my own opinion, and I never expose the weight of what I know behind them. I've carried many people's secrets throughout these past 13 years, and have no intention of ever breaking the seal on any of them. Neither am I interested in shopping my opinions as being correct either. They're still just opinions, although perhaps with a little more information behind them than most have access to.

Again, kudos on the job.

Best post in the thread.

The take-away point from this interview, and from the "cliffhanger" of FS2 and the modding tools delivered to the community, has been creativity. It's not about getting the "right" answer to the FS2 riddle in your campaign. The perhaps unintentional "gift" of the FS franchise to its fans has been that of creativity fueled by wonder. Aside from a less mediocre profit on the game, and greater franchise deals for the series, I can't think of a better legacy Volition could have earned delivering the product they did.

Try thinking about it that way, even putting it in the context of other aspects of your lives next time you log off the forums and go to the kitchen for something to eat, take a shower, or drive to work. I guarantee you'll benefit more from it than you will from telling some newbie on the forum his new project idea sucks because it doesn't line up with what Pletcher or Scott or Kulas had in mind.

Best post in the thread? It read more to me like, "I know something you don't know, lalalalalala"
/logic/reason/faith/tradition/knowledge/rhythm/space/religion/
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3
Eagerly Awaiting: Titanfall
I write for god is in the tv. I blog at Ministry of Truth.

whereis the interview...

edit
k found it